“Warm and "Spicy"”

Cuisines: Thai
Description: Downtown Edmonds, WA
Description: Downtown Edmonds, WA
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We entertained a friend at Thai Cottage during our visit to Edmonds last week. The service was efficient and the food was way above average! Friendly staff worked to assure that the level of Thai Chili heat in our food was within our tolerance ( we like it pretty spicy).

The portions were plentiful and they have a good wine list, too!

Stop in for some good Thai Food served by knowledgable staff.
Convenient to the WA State Ferry landing.

2  Thank dickgreene51

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Lunch---quick service---small bowls of Soup-of-the-day to start( surprise!) similar to Egg-drop soup. Ordered two lunch combos (good price)---Waitress asked how much heat ("spice") and we both asked for 3-star. (5-star available)---Chicken Red Curry cup nice and coconutty---Beansprout/carrot side salad---Pad Thai noodle maybe a 2-star. Friend ordered a veggi-dish
3-star and seemed happy. Generous servings. Nice waitress follow-up.
Seems home-cooked Thai is more than not available because western tastes just don't like heat
and strong flavors except for some of us. This is a nice location on Main Street, near the Fountain
intersection---a family or friend venue---good food albeit standard treatment as if not to offend
wimpy tasters. Parking street side is problematic---public parking West of Fountain 1 Blk. no charge unless electric. $20 for two for lunch---not bad! Food sans heat is very good.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stopped in here over the 4th weekend for lunch wiith my husband. We ordered the sizzling beef and cashew chicken. Everything was just okay - not terribly special, but not bad. We ordered 1 star which was like 0 in other thai restaurants. The best thing we had was the soup we got when we sat down.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I've eaten at most Thai restaurants in the area and had heard from someone that they liked this restaurant, so even though I had eaten there before and not been impressed I went back. Here is my beef- the soft rolls- smothered in cold peanut sauce that tasted very generic and overly sweet- no fresh nutty taste- My friend ordered Pud Thai- smothered in the same non-descript very uninteresting presumably canned peanut sauce. Then I had the musselman curry which tasted as though it had the same peanut sauce, super sweet with added hot spice- but the sauce appeared as though it had just been poured on some vegetables and tofu which had been sitting already cooked. In other words, it did not taste like a curry dish which had been made with care - in fact, it was probably the most unappetizing curry dish I've had. I also noticed the restaurant had not nearly as many customers as competing restaurants in the area. Basically this was Thai food dumbed down, simply made but with nothing outstanding to recommend. I hope they take notice and up their game a bit as I believe they are capable and know better.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

The Old Town portion of Edmonds, WA,a getting-ever- larger Puget Sound waterfront town, is still slower-paced than the rest of Edmonds, which is continuing its outward sprawl, and the Old Town portion is still charming. Around the early version of a roundabout on Main Street are quaint little shops and many good, little restaurants and cafes. When I visited a friend who lives nearby, he suggested we have lunch at one of the eateries in Old Town. Since we both like Thai, we picked Thai Cottage.

The decor and atmoshere is nice, with an extensive menu. He had never had fresh rolls, so we opted for those as an appetizer, and then picked Phad Thai, the Thai national noodle dish, cashew chicken, and something I had never seen before --Sizzling Platter -- as our entrees, to be washed down with a couple of Thai beers. The fresh rolls were served differently than I had ever had before. Always before they have been on a plate, usually with some shaved carrots and bean sprouts, sometimes with a wedge of lime, and almost always with a little container of peanut sauce to dip them into. But this time they were laid on the plate, cut into sections and a warm peanut sauce blanketed the rolls. Looked good and were quite tasty, but a little difficult to pick up and to cut into smaller sections. The sizzling platter lived up to its name -- several fresh vegetables and good sized pieces of pork (our choice) sizzled on the very hot metal platter, presented in much the same way as a plate of fajitas. It was a nice presentation and the veggies were hot but still a litle crunchy, and the pork was soft and tender. And the cashew chicken was very tasty with lots of cashews, chicken and a fragrent sauce.

It was a little bit of a shock when the check was presented and I saw that with tax it came to $48.02! Yikes! One of the most expensive lunches for two I've had since my old entertainment public relations days of decades ago -- and those lunches were on an expense account. Still, we didn't have to order as many dishes as we did, and we could have ordererd less expensive dishes. So having said that, I would not hesitate to have another meal at Thai Cottage.

2  Thank ThorneBirdGT