“Don't order steak here!!”

The Mansion Restaurant at Rosario Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 38 Restaurants in Eastsound
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Mansion Restaurant The Mansion Restaurant is located on the original veranda of the historic Moran Mansion and offers creative local cuisine in a stunning waterfront setting.
Seattle, WA
“Don't order steak here!!”
Reviewed August 25, 2014

So my wife and I have dined at The Mansion Restaurant at Rosario on Orcas Island many times over the past 5 years. We like it for the setting, the menu, the full bar, and the view. This year we dined there and looked forward to good food and good service. Sadly, we received none of the above. I ordered the Steak Frites, which sounded really good. The server asked me how I wanted my steak cooked, and I asked for Medium Rare (which is how I like my steak no matter what restaurant I dine at). We sat at the window, with a superb view over the bay. It was sunny and warm outside. Our drinks had arrived and we were feeling pretty good. Then the food arrived. My steak had already been sliced in to strips, which was not something I had expected. Upon closely examining the steak, I found no pinkish red color at all. Looked well done to me. So I sent it back. 5 minutes later they brought me a new plate. This time, the steak was clearly rare, the center of each cut piece was nearly raw. How disappointing. And the young man who dropped the plate off in front of me (not our server) said, somewhat sarcastically, "Is this what you want?". I tried a piece, it was horrible and more rare than I ever want to eat. So I decided that dinner was a bust and when I mentioned to our server that I had a rare steak, the server said it was my fault that I couldn't recognize the steak because of the WINDOW TINT. She said "under the lights in the kitchen, the first steak we brought you looked PERFECT"...

Cmon, really?! Hey, it's 2014! Not 1974!

So we won't dine here ever again. What a waste of time and money. Fortunately there are a few other great places to eat on the island...

Also, they used to serve a wonderful soufflé that was from heaven! I ordered it again, and received a chocolate cake with ice cream on top. That is NOT a soufflé!! Very disappointed.

Beware of the steak at Rosario! But the bar is superb and the setting too.

7 Thank hull534

Sierra Vista, AZ
“Beautiful location - historical building”
Reviewed August 25, 2014

I love restored historical buildings and this one was gorgeous and is situated on a beautiful bay. The staff were very accommodating and the food was quite good. Prices were a bit high but probably typical for this area. Would visit here again if in the area.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank katie3
Eastsound, Washington
“Best red cabbage in the USA”
Reviewed August 24, 2014

Innovative, executive chef at the Mansion Restaurant in the Rosario Resort, Eastsound, Washington, Dan Koommoo never fails to amaze. Recently had the most wonderful red cabbage outside of Vienna. It was paired with spinach and formed a nest for fennel dusted ahi tuna steak. Daily specials were awesome as well, including Dungeness crab, tempura prawns and salmon roe blinis. The dining room is partially water view tables and partially a cozy lounge with fireplace and tables, couches and chairs in a beautiful wooden beam room. Mollie McCown is the restaurant manager and presides over the cozy room. The wait staff is young, fun and very receptive of special requests. And, the bartender is top notch.

Seattle
“Fabulous once again!”
Reviewed August 22, 2014

I've been coming to Rosario Resort on Orcas Island, WA for over 40 years and have seen it go through many ups and downs (including a few years when it was completely closed and some years when the restaurant was not so good). We returned this month and I'm pleased to say that Rosario is fabulous once again. The dining area in the Mansion has been completely remodeled and now includes a 1st class kitchen that is in full view of restaurant diners. Our meal at the Mansion was outstanding and began with local Judd Cove oysters that were the best we've had in years. We enjoyed main courses of halibut and salmon that were also outstanding. Our server was friendly, knowledgeable and professional. We came by private boat and can say that the marina is also doing well once again. They even offer an "oyster happy hour" on the marina dock! Rosario is back!

1 Thank vmb
San Francisco, California
“Delicious and beautiful food”
Reviewed August 20, 2014

We ate there for dinner one evening. The food on the plate was beautiful to see, and delicious to taste. I had the Penne Pasta with prawns (the size of horses, lol) and mussels and clams. My wife had salmon, and our friends had a steak(!) Everyone enjoyed the food a great deal. Dessert was delicious, and the wine list was good, too.

Visited August 2014