“A very nice getaway”

and 1 more site!
Otters Pond Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 12 Eastsound B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 10, 2014

My husband and I were looking for a relaxing vacation and we stayed on Orcas Island from Wed-Sun. We are in our 20's so we're a little young for the typical B&B crowd, but we really enjoyed our stay. The hosts were very kind and the breakfast was always fantastic. Our room was very comfortable and clean and we were really able to relax and enjoy our stay. We would definitely recommend Otters Pond.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 25, 2014

We went for two nights with good friends to explore Orcas Island for the first time. Sue & Carl were SO hospitable from the very beginning... getting us reservations for dinner on arrival night after getting stuck waiting for a late ferry... Answering questions for us & advising of activities to enjoy the island. Sitting on the deck both morning and later afternoon was a highlight... such a beautiful setting with many birds entertaining us. Breakfast was AMAZING... you won't want to miss it! We're early risers, but Carl had coffee ready well before our 9:00am breakfast (we were starting our daily intake of caffeine by about 7:30). Our rooms were very nice, clean, etc. with a very comfortable bed. Recommend our room (swan room) for great view of the pond and chairs sitting by window to have some morning coffee before heading out to deck. The room was large (with a HUGE bathroom) and had both a tv (which we used) and electric fireplace (which we didn't). We definitely are planning a return trip!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2014

My husband and I were to spend time at the Otter's Pond for our anniversary, however unfortunately, we had to cancel our reservations due to a medical emergency. I called the owners to let them know with the intention of rescheduling to a different time that would work for both of us. Instead at the first utter of the word cancellation I was immediately flooded with the "policy" very rudely. I explained the situation that this was a true emergency and it was not just a change of plans. I was told by the owner stated "it was your bad luck that you have a medical emergency and it is not fair to make us pay for that. Some people just have bad luck in life like you and it is not our problem" I was so appalled by her response I didn't know what to do. I understand this is a very challenging circumstance for small business, but would have liked to be treated with dignity, compassion and respect. I was not looking for them to "take a huge hit" and would have loved to reschedule, however since I was treated so poorly I will never book with this business ever again, nor do I recommend this business. I felt the owners only cared about making money and therefore treated me so rudely I was simply appalled.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Caitlin G
otterbesue, Owner at Otters Pond Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2014

When “guests” make a reservation at any lodging establishment they ask the business to reserve a specific room for them for a specified number of nights. In this case it was three nights. This is a contract between the guest and the business. The guest promises to pay for those three nights and the B&B or hotel promises not to let anyone else have the room for those 3 nights. This guest made the reservation thru an on-line booking company that clearly states that there are no refunds once the reservation is made.
Otters Pond also has a reasonable cancellation policy that clearly states that in the 30 days prior to the guest’s stay there are no refunds for cancellations unless the room is rebooked and then a 10% cancellation fee is applied. The reason for this policy is that we have little chance of rebooking a room that has shown to be occupied on our internet reservation system and also communicated to anyone else who calls and requests this room, In this case we had been saving this room ( also honoring a date change) for her for 3 weeks, honoring her reservation. This guest called the day before her 3-day reserved stay asking to change the date of her stay to another 3 days some unknown date in the future.. This for us would be reserving 6 nights for this guest and she would choose the 3-nights to come. When she cancelled we had scheduled staff to work, bought food for her breakfasts, arranged flowers for her room and turned away all others who would like to be in that room for those three nights. Our B&B is not on the “main” road where guests would drive by and see our B&*B and the county does not allow for signs of our location to be posted so such last minute rebooking would have been against all odds.. Except on rare occasions, do we have guests “dropping-in.” Since we are a small property a cancellation like this is a direct loss. Guests don’t realize that we have a number of cancellations each week/monthly who usually have perfectly good reasons for cancelling. We understand that these are difficult times for those whose plans change due to health, babysitters, work requirements, divorce, loss of job and many other valid reasons. No one wants to have these unfortunate things happen to them, and then to lose money and forfeit their vacation.
Cancellation policies are made by hotels and B&B’s because businesses can’t stay in business when the guests asks us to take on the loss of their unfortunate circumstances. It is especially difficult for small businesses to incur these losses. We regret that this guest had a “medical emergency” and could not come. She refused to understand that she made a guarantee to two businesses (Otters Pond and Booking.com) that would stand behind her reservation. We tried to rebook her room without success.
By the way, we try to not be rude. We practice kindness. We have found on rare occasions that guests faced with an intractable cancellation situation act, as in this case, with unreasonable demands. We are sorry for that.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

I traveled with my teen and had a good time at this bed and breakfast. It is a beautiful home set in the woods, and has a picturesque outdoor pond and a hot tub. It is literally hidden from view among nature, a true getaway!

We had asked for a room recommendation and got the Bluebird room. It did have a beautiful view of the pond, but it had only one window and bathroom was right outside the room door. It was nice and private but in retrospect I would get a room with more windows and a bathroom that's attached, especially if planning a romantic getaway. The pond comes alive with frogs and crickets and birds in the morning so if you like quiet, carry earplugs or be ready to rise early. I was woken at 5 AM one morning by a loud bird that sang for an hour...and wouldn't quiet down. Of course, my teen heard nothing! I loved the setting of the home, it was right outside Andrew Moran State Park and is in a pretty private area a few miles from "downtown". I did miss the grand sea views you get from some places in the island but it was also nice to experience something different.

The rooms are on the smaller side, they are bedrooms in a house, not your typical larger hotel size rooms. Our king bed in the Bluebird room was very comfortable though and had nice pillows and a real comforter, so we got much more restful sleep than in a hotel room and that's what really counts. The rooms are close together so you can hear your neighbors. Since we use the restroom in the night, I was a little worried we would wake them and had to tiptoe in and out as our restroom was outside our room. The room and bathroom were both decorated with little bric-bracs to give it charm and atmosphere and had all the usual amenities. I never turn the TV on during vacation, so not having a TV in the room was just fine. Phone service does not work there but there is wifi - albeit a little slow. The owners allow use of house phone to make dinner reservations.

There are some house rules, like no shoes inside the home, only slippers provided by hosts. Also no pets, but owners do have a sweet dog named Chuli. We brought a dog so we had to kennel him at Eastsound Kennels on the island, Mary the owner was amazing with him but it was a bit of a drive to get him in the day time and drop him off. Next time, we would love to find a place where we can have him with us! The owners did allow us to store a couple of items in their garage freezer as appliances in the house were off limits due to health code. We would have liked to use the microwave to warm up something for dinner when we decided to grocery shop and eat in, but it was later in the evening and we didn't want to inconvenience our hosts.

The gourmet breakfasts were wonderful. Breakfast was as tastefully designed as everything else - and offered quality over quantity. I was reluctant to ask for seconds on items as it may have seemed rude and interrupted the rhythm of the course. Breakfasts started with sorbet, went onto fruit/cereal, then one day we had pancakes and bacon and another day a baked egg dish and quinoa, that ended with a coffee cake. Everything was delicious, very well made and very well served by owners and one more person who came in to help. My teen does not eat egg so the hosts were gracious enough to provide a delicious alternative in a pita sandwich. If you're staying there be sure to communicate any food preferences or allergies and they will accommodate your request.

The owners were also very helpful with recommendations for places to visit, restaurants, hiking spots and had a useful local information in a binder. They also had an extensive library upstairs that they allowed us to borrow from while we were there.

Overall, I think my teen summed up the entire experience right, "It's like staying with grandparents - the house is beautiful and in a beautiful place, they're very nice and thoughtful and cook great food for you, but there are rules and you're a little afraid you'll get scolded if you break them! But I'd still love to come back, I wish they were my grandparents."

Room Tip: Bluebird room has a king bed and a beautiful pond view but private bathroom is not attached. Chickad...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Wandering S
Reviewed March 13, 2014

My daughter and I had a wonderful time at Otter's Pond. It is a wooded and peaceful location, and a beautiful view of their pond with an abundance of birds to watch. Breakfast was fantastic, and all home made by Sue and Carl.....very delicious! It was also close to the town of Eastsound and convenient to other activities on the island, such as the Rosario mansion, which is right down the road from them. Our room was lovely with an amazingly comfortable bed. The entire house is immaculate, cozy, and private. I would recommend Otter's Pond to anyone who is seeking a get-away that will include rest and pampering!!

Jeanette Y.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Jeanette1983
Reviewed February 28, 2014

The Otters Pond B & B was just what we had hoped for and more. My daughter and I so enjoyed our room overlooking the otters pond. Sue and Carl are so welcoming. The breakfast they served each morning was delightful. They were so helpful with useful tips for the island. We hiked both days because my daughter loves the outdoors. We also enjoyed the good restaurants and little stores on the island. Each evening we came back to the otters pond where it was peaceful and so comfortable. The fireplace, the hot tub, the beautiful surroundings. The Otters Pond B & B is like a piece of heaven.

Room Tip: Just ask Sue and Carl to suggest a room when you book your stay. Their home is so beautiful. Any o...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank 0708Peg
Reviewed February 22, 2014

If you are looking for a relaxing getaway to share with your loved one, go here. We had such a relaxing weekend at Otter's Pond. Sue and Carl have a beautiful home set in the woods next to a large pond. It is an excellent getaway from the craziness of the city, where all of your needs are cared for. We didn't bring our swim gear for the hot tub but certainly will for the next time we are here. The homemade breakfasts were delicious. We had excellent conversations with the other guests as though they were relatives gathering for Thanksgiving. We will certainly be returning here in the future.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eastsound
Outlook Inn on Orcas Island
Kangaroo House Bed & Breakfast on Orcas Island
Turtleback Farm Inn
Turtleback Farm Inn
#5 of 19 in Orcas Island

Been to Otters Pond Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!