“Can't imagine staying anywhere else!”

and 1 more site!
Otters Pond Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 12 Eastsound B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 27, 2012

My mom took me to Otters Pond a few years ago on my first visit to the San Juan Islands. The room we stayed in (Bluebird, I believe) had a wonderful view of the pond and it's own bathroom with a huge shower right next door.

Ever since staying at Otters Pond, I've been dreaming of their four course breakfasts (to die for!) and taking my husband to enjoy the experience.

This was my first stay in a B&B. I've stayed in a few since, but none match the hospitality, comfort, or quality I experienced at Otters Pond. Thanks, Mom, you spoiled me! =)

• Stayed: July 2011
There are newer reviews for Otters Pond Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed April 27, 2012

Having never stayed at a bed & breafast before, I was more than a little apprehensive about trying it. Otters Pond was my first experience and I must say set a high standard for comparing places I have stayed since. Carl and Susn were the gracious hosts that you read about in travel magazines. The meals were excellent. It was exciting to come to the table each morning just to see how it would look. Each day we had different table coverings and place settings... a whole new look for the new day. Nothing duplicated all week.and everything made fresh for us each morning. When we would return later in the day there was always fresh lemonade on the counter for us to help ourselves to. Nuts and other munchies were always out and available for us. We were free to use the house library or take a book out on the deck. The birds were fun to watch and the geese would come right up to the deck. The hot tub was a new experience for me too and was the only thing that I didn't really like all week. It was a sad day when it was time to leave because our hosts and their dog seemed just like family by now. I can't wait to go back. Oh, and the hot tub... I have learned that I don't like any of them. They are too hot!

Room Tip: If stairs are a problem the downstairs room's available
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Darlene P
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Otters Pond Bed & Breakfast is the next best place to Paradise! I have stayed here 4 times now and have never been anything but amazed by the comfort, the food and the service. I have stayed at other B&Bs and have never found one to compare with Otters Pond. Carl & Sue are absolutely the most gracious and helpful hosts I have ever had. They really go the extra mile to make your stay special - from the fresh flowers in the room, the hot tub by the pond, and the binoculars and bird books for watching the multitude of birds that visit their feeders, to the yummy snacks and beverages in the evening. The 5-course breakfasts are so good you would never know how nutrition-aware the hosts are in planning the menus! If you need ideas for things to do or places to eat they are more than willing to make suggestions and reservations. I am already dreaming of my next trip to this awesome spot in Paradise!

Room Tip: I love the Bluebird Room! It's small and cozy with a king bed and an upstairs view of the pond!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Kathy B
sotter, Owner at Otters Pond Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

Thanks so very much for your review! Knowing you had a great experience here is what keeps us motivated!!

Reviewed April 27, 2012

My husband has been working much too hard this past year - loads of stress, bringing his work home, etc... He needed a break, and we needed to spend some time together - minus the distractions. (Cell coverage is not good at the Inn, but this was a good thing for us!) When we considered the possibility of going to a B&B that would provide rest and relaxation, we both looked at each other and said, "Let's go back to Otter's Pond." We have frequented B&Bs in the Pacific Northwest as well as Europe. This is the first time we've made a return visit to any one of them. Otter's Pond is quiet, relaxing, cozy, a nature lover's paradise. The host's attention to detail is impeccable. You can tell they take pride in their home and love being hospitable. The 5 course fireside breakfasts were DELICIOUS! By day, my husband read out on the sunny porch as I compiled my list of bird "sightings" - even watched the otter catch and eat his lunch! At sunset, we watched a bald eagle and listened to the doleful call of the pied-billed grebe as we swirled in the warm bubbles of the perfectly maintained hot tub.Though there is plenty to see and do within minutes of the Inn we never felt the need to leave the premises, except for a few quick outings for lunch and dinner and a drive around the island. We stayed three nights and returned home sufficiently rejuvenated from our perfect mini-vacation. We will definitely make a third visit to Orcas Island and will most definitely stay at Otter's Pond.

Room Tip: There isn't a bad room at the Inn.
1  Thank D L
Reviewed April 26, 2012

We were absolutely delighted with the setting, the room, the breakfast and the advice and help our hosts provided us. Having good weather is always a plus, but we certainly would recommend Otters Pond B&B any and every time. We have gone to B&B's in the USA and throughout Europe, and Otters Pond rates the top of our list.

1  Thank Ira Q
Reviewed April 20, 2012

Had a 2 night stay here and it was a fantastic time. Owners gave us lots of good information, room was great, breakfast was absolutely delicious and the weather treated us great.
We had some sun in the afternoon and spent some time on the deck watching the birds at the feeders. Lots of hummingbirds and others large and small. There were goodies in the evening and a library if you needed a book to read.
We would stay here again anytime!

Reviewed April 16, 2012

I really want to express my dissatisfaction at the way my wife and I were treated during our recent stay at Otter’s Pond Bed and Breakfast. My wife and I purchased a two-night stay deal from LivingSocial.com to celebrate our two-year wedding anniversary. Our stay started off fine enough, but things went so poorly on Saturday March 31st, that we decided to pack up and leave before our second night.

The first thing I’ll mention is that I had purchased a flower bouquet from a local grower and had them delivered to our room before we arrived. One of the main reasons I did this was because the livingsocial voucher mentioned that the host would provide a flower bouquet in the room, and I wanted my wife to walk into a room filled with flowers. Our hosts did NOT provide a flower bouquet, but after I complained they claimed that removed the bouquet shortly before we arrived. We also did not receive the promised Bed and Breakfast cookbook that the livingsocial voucher promised.

We enjoyed the darkness of our room during the first night, and slept in until breakfast. After breakfast, we left Otter’s Pond and explored the island for several hours. We returned from our day’s excursions and were surprised that our hosts had entered our room unexpectedly. We did NOT like that we had not been warned about this intrusion. My wife’s unmentionables were still on the floor by the suitcase, and we were both very embarrassed to find that they had been moved and rearranged. We were looking forward to having some of the cider we’d brought into our room and warming up together in our bed, but our cider, our drinking glasses and our blankets had all been removed from the room! Besides that, the hosts had left a rude and condescending note for us to find. Apparently, my wife had accidentally and unknowingly gotten a spot of blood on the small bathroom rug. Of course, if we had noticed that anything in the room had gotten a blood spot on it, we would have let the hosts know so that it wouldn’t stain. But we were up late in the dark, and left immediately to our breakfast and our exploration. The hosts also explained that all the blankets and pillows had been removed from the room because they’d noticed that my wife had brought along one of our own, and “apparently we had all we needed.” No one has EVER told us not to bring our own blankets to a hotel or bed and breakfast. I believe that if our hosts both had a problem with that, they should have mentioned it to us at the onset, instead of passive aggressively taking away all of your blankets and pillows. That was unacceptable.

When I went to find the hosts, they made me feel like a little boy receiving a lecture from his parents. I was a paying customer, and I think I should have been treated like one.

At that point, Mr. Host repeatedly offered to show me how to use the hot tub, which was one of the main reasons that we decided to spend our anniversary at Otters Pond. I accepted, but when we were on our way out to the hot tub, Mrs. Host stepped in and refused to let my wife or I use the tub. Even though my wife was no longer on her period, and even though she explained this to our hosts, they did NOT allow us to use the hot tub. I am sure that guests who HAVE been on their period have used the hot tub before, and the only reason they even KNEW that my wife had been on hers was because they were snooping in our room, unbeknownst to us.

My wife and I were so embarrassed, ashamed and angry at this that neither of us wanted to see our hosts again. We felt that our anniversary was being ruined by these personal intrusions and this rude treatment. So, instead of staying for our second night, we packed up, had our dinner at the Rosario, and then took the ferry home to Seattle.

I can tell you right now, that both my wife and I are extremely disappointed by the way we were treated during our stay. We both felt that our youth caused the hosts to view us not as customers, but as liabilities and as children. Thankfully, our weekend was not ruined. We had a lovely night at our own house. But we paid $130 for that night, and the breakfast the next day. And thanks to their treatment, we did not receive these services.

If you want any kind of privacy – don’t go to Otter’s Pond.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Anonymous24Seattle
sotter, Owner at Otters Pond Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2012

Perhaps the following will help future guests more clearly understand the “other side” of this story.
There was no attempt to communicate with us regarding a desire to have the room “filled with flowers” and when we received the florist’s delivery we put that in the room and removed the flower bouquet we had placed there earlier to make room for the additional flowers. We would have gladly replaced the bouquet had we known of the guest's displeasure.
When Guests arrive here for check-in after 11PM we do not do the complete orientation we usually provide because of the late hour--preferring to do it the next day. This is standard practice for almost all B&B’s we are acquainted with. In this case we did not notice that the guest was bringing their personal bedding. Guests have, on occasion, asked us not to clean their rooms, but we must. On several occasions we have discovered fire hazards and damaging wet things on rugs including blood, wine etc., so it is our policy to clean the rooms in order to assure our high standards for health, safety and cleanliness..
Our policy on this is clearly stated in our room books. We are always very careful about not disturbing guests’ room articles, but we also have to make way to clean and vacuum the room even though it can be extremely difficult for us to maneuver around strewn articles.
We remove all dirty glassware from the rooms every day and provide additional beverages on the counter in the main area of the B&B. Cleaning the rooms and removing used glassware is part of our service to our guests and standard nice B&B’s.
When we discover, for example, a very large (2 inch diameter) blood clot soaked into the bathroom rug without attending to it properly we face the possibility of the rug being irretrievably stained.
We do allow guests’ personal pillows but never blankets and heavy quilts/comforters. Many travelers are unaware that bedbug contamination is almost epidemic worldwide in recent years. For guests’ protection as well as the lodgings they visit we advise against the practice of taking personal bedding from place to place.
We are correct in disallowing guest use of the hot tub in certain well defined circumstances such as menstrual bleeding. Our hot tub caveats state that persons with sores, scabs, rashes, bleeding etc. should not use the hot tub for the safety of others. Hepatitis, AIDs and other blood-borne illnesses are transmitted by blood.
When a guest’s premature departure does not allow us to assuage guest discomfort, we are unable to provide immediate solutions. As to the afternoon refreshments, they are always available in the on “the island” in the main B&B—always!
We try our best and we sincerely regret any guest’s your misgivings. We are convinced in this case that we did provide the quality of services we are known for. We provided a clean and comfortable place for to stay, with beautiful linens, delicious refreshments, great breakfasts and caring hosts.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Eastsound
Deer Harbor Inn
Discovery Inn
Discovery Inn
#2 of 10 in Friday Harbor
Kangaroo House Bed & Breakfast on Orcas Island

Been to Otters Pond Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!