“Must have been an off day”
Review of Kitchen

Kitchen
Ranked #24 of 40 Restaurants in Eastsound
Cuisines: Asian
Reviewed June 7, 2014

I ordered the special with the "basil" sauce, rice cakes and veggies with tofu. I ordered for just one but neither my husband nor I could finish it between us. It was just too heavy/greasy - something. In addition the balance of flavor was off and the veggies were fairly wilted and cooked. I felt a little sick for a couple of hours afterward. It looks like there might be some good menu items per the other reviews so order carefully.

There are newer reviews for Kitchen

Reviewed May 30, 2014

Serendipity can be scrumptious! We just happened to be passing by on foot and followed the little path into a cosy courtyard shaded by a lovely tree but still dappled with sunlight. Just walk up to the counter, choose something from the chalkboard, sit back and and enjoy the chirping birds, and wait for your lovingly prepared asian food to arrive. It's a fairly bare bones experience, but nothing about this place pretends to be more than what it is: simple, fresh ingredients, locally sourced, and well-prepared with just the right amount of attention. We had the best teriyaki chicken we've ever eaten. Now, I know that's not saying much, given the masses of gooey, overly sweet and plastic offerings of this dish out there. But Kitchen's version was so excellent that it made us reassess what teriyaki chicken is really supposed to be. Succulent pieces of chicken with kale, roasted sweet potatoes, shredded carrots, broccoli, cabbage, roasted pumpkin and sunflower seeds. The sauce was really tasty but minimally applied so that it fused with and complemented the vegetables perfectly. All of our other selections were equally good, but without belaboring the praise too much, we would simply give our warm recommendation to anyone who is searching for a fresh asian meal that will not only satisfy them but perhaps even surprise them with this little gem's offerings. Orcas is lucky to have this place.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

we went to the kitchen for lunch today. i ordered the chicken teriyaki. hands down--best teriyaki ever eaten in my life. they use super fresh and unique ingredients. my daughters ordered off the kids menu.. they got tofu with rice and veggies. the price was a little high BUT WORTH IT!! my daughter, who is a vegetarian and practically lives off tofu and vegetables, said it was the best she'd ever had. the staff was very nice and it's a good location.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

The Kitchen makes no exception when it comes to the quality of the food he prepares. Local, fresh, healthy, asian/pacific nw fusion gourmet. I appreciate the effort The Kitchen takes to support our community farmers and local sustainable organic foods. Whenever I eat at this restaurant, I feel like I'm going out to my own homegrown garden and preparing the freshest meal possible. Some of the best food on the island. Supporting restaurants like The Kitchen is important because you know you're supporting real people making a real difference. Peace, love and light to Charles and family.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

While walking here, I was distracted by the smells coming from another restaurant down the street... but since the Kitchen had such great reviews, we stuck with the original plan and ordered here. And I just wasn't all that impressed.

Let's start with the good: This restaurant passes the "fresh, local veggie" test, which is a big one for me. And I really liked the way they prepared the tofu.

And now for the bad:
1) When I order something called "spicy", I expect it to be at least a little bit spicy. I get it, they have to cater to several different peoples' idea of spicy... but if that's the case, then please make some spice available... soy sauce packets are not the only condiment necessary for an asian food restaurant.
2) Seems like such an eco-groovy place... What's with the paper plates/to-go containers? My objection here is not just environmental, or the fact that a $16 meal served on a paper plate is a little weird, but also that saucy asian food on a paper plate is a bad idea. And my noodle dish came in a to-go cylinder thing, which meant I either had to eat from the top down to get to the noodles, or make an attempt at mixing. This probably wouldn't have bugged me so much if I could have gone back to my own house and dumped the noodle bowl into an actual bowl.
3) I'm not opposed to bussing my own table, but I'm not excited about paying $45 for lunch AND having to bus my own table. It's just a lot of money to pay for what is essentially a food cart posing as a restaurant.

1  Thank jklaurin