“Perfect base camp for island adventuring” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Golden Tree Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Eastsound
Golden Tree Hostel
You added Golden Tree Hostel to your Saves list
Seattle, Washington
“Perfect base camp for island adventuring”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

This place is a gem-- super cool staff, clean comfortable beds, nice bathrooms (the first ever "great" shower I've experienced in a hostel!), fantastic fire pit, and a very nicely-stocked kitchen for cooking. Located just outside of Eastsound, the Golden Tree is perfectly located for biking, hiking or kayaking adventures on the island. Definitely will be back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Janae H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We spent the 4th of July weekend up on Orcas Island at Golden Tree Hostel and it was amazing. This place will charm your socks off. I have stayed at hostels all over the world--including Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver Canada--and this is one of the best. Breath-taking scenery, friendly people, GOOD free coffee in the mornings, hot tub, sauna, fire pit, private rooms if you want them, and large enough to host our group of 15 with room to spare. I adore this place.

Room Tip: The most private room is the Geodesic Dome with sky lights to the stars. If you are in the house the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank MindiRaker
Portland, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

As far as I'm concerned, it's the only place to stay on Orcas Island.

About 10 days ago I googled "places to visit in the NW without a car" and what came up? None other than the majestic San Juan Islands (which I previously thought must be lesser known islands in the Caribbean). 2 days later I was en route via bus, shuttle, and ferry to Orcas.

Walk 10 minutes in one direction and you're in the village of Eastsound. 10 minutes in the other direction and you're at the beach. Don't bother walking anywhere and you've got a sauna, hot tub, pool table, fire pit, and bikes (for rent that are $15 for the day -- $20 cheaper than any of the bike rental shops).

The Golden Tree is tricked. out.

The owners are great, seemingly always smiling, and super helpful with recommendations with things to do on the island. In a twist of small world fate, we happen to have a good mutual friend in common in Portland. It made me feel even more at home. Maybe TOO at home. This place is so comfortable.

I'd actually take away half a star because of two minor issues. The guys told me these things are going to be solved this summer and since I'm a "glass half full" kinda gal, I'll round up to 5 stars anyway. BUT, for accountability reasons I'll document my 2 requests:

1. Hooks in the dorm rooms and dorm bathrooms. Orcas is a DAMP place and once the hostel gets more crowded, there will be wet towels and rain soaked clothing galore.

2. Individual lights in the dorm rooms. At the moment there's only one overhead light. I imagine this might create some grumpy co-habitation situations.

Another reason for that half star roundup: they buy good toilet paper. No butt scratchin' sand paper for miles around!

Also, the kitchen. is. amazing.

I'm sure I've forgotten a few of the wonderful things I have to say about the Golden Tree, but I think I've said enough.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank amyrollo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eastsound
Outlook Inn on Orcas Island
Rosario Resort and Spa
Rosario Resort and Spa
#2 of 5 in Eastsound
4.0 of 5 stars 487 reviews

Been to Golden Tree Hostel? Share your experiences!