“A truly peaceful, lovely vacation” 5 of 5 bubbles

West Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Eastsound
GreenLeadersBronze level
Seattle, Washington
“A truly peaceful, lovely vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

As we relaxed around the campfire, roasting hot dogs and marshmallows, I said to y husband "We should come back here next year with all the cousins." My son said "NO! this is OUR special place." We loved it. Cabin 17 was beautiful, immaculate, spacious, and fully equipped. The heaters worked wonderfully which was great because in late August it was chilly. We loved the concept of the extra little cabin for the kids, but the little one was too spooked to sleep in there. While the 12 year old thought the bunk bed was super comfy, my husband did not find it so. The master bed was amazingly comfortable for mommy and the little one.
We loved sending the kids down to the fishing pier alone.
I especially loved having no cell phone access unless I really wanted it!
I appreciated having salt and pepper and basic kitchen supplies.
The staff were wonderfully accommodating and kind. The stuff for sale in the shop was outrageously overpriced -- $6 for 12 worms? seriously? doesn't anyone have a compost bin? sheesh. But thanks to other Trip Advisor reviews we knew to expect that and did much of our shopping in town.

Next time I would not pack so much food, but would just spend my tourist dollars in the grocery stores in town and not waste my energy trying to think of meals ahead of time. We had hot dogs on the fire every night: perfect! (except maybe bring your own smores fixings, those were expensive in Eastsound too).
most favorite thing: going down to the dock after dark and fishing and looking into the water with flashlights. We saw amazing wildlife including phosphorescence. Wonderful.
We would love to go back.

Room Tip: Cabin 17 was out of the way so very quiet, and also commodious. Bring your own books or fill your e...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Seattle
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

The sign says it all when you arrive (WELCOME TO OUR WORLD) not a good first impression. While checking in I noted the rudeness and specialness of their staff toward other customers and would have left if I hadn't already paid.The cottage has post it notes everywhere inside and out informing you of rules and financial punishments (made us not want to use anything) so we took pictures of everything . We did a thorough inspection and noted the following. Room was very rustic and the bed was horrible it was so old you could see the springs and feel them (my back is still hurting days later). All the light fixtures had large bulbs that had to warm up first even in the ones that called for smaller bulbs (very tacky) our picnic table clothe had holes in it and when we looked closer we noticed there were several table clothes layered on it (icky) we would have sat on the beach area provided but we had no chairs (unless we wanted to go get them from another cabin ourselves) when the wind blew the windows rattled in the frame because the caulking had dried up and fallen out. When all is said and done the waterfront view is awesome the staff is rough and the facilities are old and unmaintained. Trust me when I tell you I'm being nice with my review.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank steveng206
Federal Way, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

My family and I have been going to West Beach for many year and each year we have just as much if not more fun than we did the previous year. This is not a fancy resort by any means so if you are expecting a four seasons type atmosphere you are going to be dissapointed. We have stayed in many of the cabins and have had favorites (the one w/ the loft) but all are clean, warm and provide what we need for a comfortable stay. These are not "luxery" cabins they are your basic old fashion style cabins. One reason we love this place is because it offers an escape form "the real world." There are not televisions, phones, or computers in the room. This allows for a quiet relaxing vacation. Bring lots of board games or cards and good books to read. I would reccomend buying food and drinks on the main land (anacortes) because the grocery store on the island can be more expensive( as they have to ferry all their food out to them and gas ain't cheap!) The mian town is cute and has good shopes to stroll through. Mt. Constutuion has great views and a neat castle like building but beware if you go in the winter it tends to be cold and windy so dress accoringly. The fire pits are nice and come w/ a great view. Waking up to the sounds of the puget sound each morining is quite wonderful! When we come to the resort it is usually full but not crowded and normally people keep the noise level down. The grounds are what I would consider "wild but kept up." The ladscape is not overerly prestine but everything is kept nice and in a natural state which I think adds to the ambiance. The store has a good variety of your emergency items as well as extras but town is not but 5-10minutes away so if hey dont have something you need you can probebly get it in town. Prices are resonable to maybe a little high so I recommend trying to get everything you may need at home before coming (if this is a hassel to you then expect to pay a little more). The people working here hasve always been friendly, but then again we have NEVER had a problem with anything here so I dont know how they act in stressfull complaint situations. You do have to clean your own rooms while you stay but they do change towels if you need to, as well as other clenly products. Kitchens in the cabins are small but satisfactory, so dont plan on making five course meals. They do have grills which are nice. The lots and walking areas are dirt/gravel so I wouldnt wear shoes in the cabins or you are just going to make more work for yourself cleaning. We have done the crab fishing of the docks and have had good years with many crabs and some bad years of not so many to no crab. We have only ever come in the winter time (November or December) so I cant speak on the summer expirence, but it is very beautiful during the winter, especially when the resort has snow! As far as camping goes it is basically a grassy area with hook ups. So if you know what you are getting into I dont think this will be a problem. I know they do not give refunds so beware of this before you book that if you have major complaints (and I dont think you will) they dont give money back. I dont understand people trying to get their money back for minor and fixable problems like: "I dont like it here, its wet! I want to go somewhere else!" Hey I wouldnt give you your money back either. This place is not a five star lodge/ resort where everything is handed to you on a silver platter so dont expect that. It's a bit 'rough' but in all the right ways.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank FFamily_2012
Gaithersburg, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

Stayed in the Farmhouse, we were 4 adults, 2 kids. It is a very roomy house with well-stocked kitchen, although we could have used a few more plates and silverware! We used the small store, which seemed to stock everything we forgot, and the kids loved running around on the beach. The beach has a beautiful view out over other islands at sunset. The only thing keeping me from a 5 star rating was the beds; some thought them to be firm, others thought they were just plain hard! Nonetheless we would stay here again in a minute.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bainbridge Island, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

We enjoyed three nights in a private cabin on the water. The interior was rustic, clean and well stocked with everything we needed. By far the best part of the experience was starting a fire on the edge of the water, relaxing with a bottle of wine and watching the most amazing sunsets. I can't wait to return.

Room Tip: The cabins on the water are THE WAY TO GO! You have your own private fire pit, chairs and the best...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Edmonds, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

Our family along with my husbands family have been coming to West Beach for over 20 years. It is such an important part of our family history that our kids are now bringing their kids and renting their own cabin and starting their own traditions. There is a certain tranquility that surrounds West Beach that you can't help but unwind, pick a spot on the beach and read or take a nap. This is the perfect place to recharge for the coming year. It doesn't matter what the weather sends us, we have a wonderful time watching the sunsets or being amazed at the beauty of thunderstorms. My family teases me because I start making "Orcas" lists just after the first of the year with seven months to go! For me, the anticipation is almost as good as the week we spend at West Beach!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Snohomish, Washington, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Traveled here at the end of July, and it was better than I could have imagined! We had a sailing trip booked out of Deer Harbor, and West Beach was only a short drive away. The amenities are great, and camping spots are decently sized...bathrooms clean and in good working order. We enjoyed sitting on the dock and watching the most gorgeous sunsets we've seen in Washington.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eastsound
Outlook Inn on Orcas Island
#5 of 10 in Friday Harbor
Rosario Resort and Spa
Rosario Resort and Spa
#1 of 5 in Eastsound

Been to West Beach Resort? Share your experiences!