Our family of four (including two teenagers) came to Orcas Island in July of 2011. I waited too long to make our hotel reservations, so many places were booked up by the time I got down to business.
Smugglers Villa bills itself as a resort, and I suppose the location near the water and the pool and hot tub technically qualify it as such. We stayed in a "Rambler", which had two bedrooms. The other units are the same size or larger. My kids (opposite gender teenagers) had their own beds which was key, but shared a room, and then there was a tiny room for the queen for my husband and me. There was not enough room to put our luggage in our room, though!
The kitchen was adequate but tired and worn, as was the living area and bathroom. I will say that the kitchen had just about everything we needed...we did run out for a few odds and ends that I thought should have been there (like dish soap and salt and pepper), but we were going to the grocery store anyway. We were psyched about the washer and dryer right in our unit, and we used the outdoor grill a couple of nights, too. The grill functioned sporadically at best.
We had the pool to ourselves a couple of times, but the day we got there the two hot tubs had been ordered drained and re-filled by the health inspector (I don't want to know why), so they were out of commission for a day. The pool was nice - and offered a lovely view of the ocean if you stood up and looked over the fence and/or walked around. Mike, the manager (owner too, I think?) was nice enough and also answered all of our questions helpfully.
I was concerned about "the neighbors" as referenced here on other Trip Advisor reviews, and it is true that there is absolutely no privacy on one's back deck. Maybe it would be better if you were in Unit 1 or 2 way down the street. I suppose it is a hit or miss whether you stay the week someone is having a rowdy family reunion or if you hit a week when things are quiet. We had a little of both during our stay...and we were only there 3 nights.
One thing I could not visualize while I read Trip Advisor was the layout of the units. I think there are 16 buildings (not including the main buildings or pool area) that basically line the length of the small marina that runs the length of the Smugglers property and the tail end of the airport. There are two units in each building...one of the smaller 900 sq ft units like our Rambler, and one of the larger 1200 sq ft units. We were building 15, which was the next to last one closest to the pool, main building and ocean, so that was nice, but we sure had a lot of foot traffic going back and forth to the main building out our back deck.
Smuggler's Villa Resort's glory days are gone, but the rooms remain habitable and we did not find this accomodation to be a bad choice. I think the owner would be well served by completely overhauling the furnishings, kitchens and baths to today's standards. In the meantime, I will encourage my friends and family to book an accomodation at Orcas Island earlier than I did and try to find someplace else to stay if they can...Smugglers being a reasonable back-up plan if all else fails.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Smugglers Villa Resort on Orcas Island is a collection of 20 2-bedroom waterfront condo-homes - clean and comfy - perfect for young families and old friends - casual and calm. Smugglers is the perfect island vacation location - Incredible waterfront views, walk out beach, heated pool, hot tubs, nightly beach fire, amazing lingering sunsets, walking distance to quaint Eastsound Village, easy drive to Moran State park, kayak tours and whale watching depart from our dock, Dish TV, WiFi, real homes with full baths and kitchens, well equipped including laundry. Please call us soon. Thanks ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline so you can book your Smugglers Villa Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Smugglers Villa Hotel Eastsound
- Smugglers Hotel Eastsound
- Smugglers Villa Resort Orcas Island/Eastsound, WA