“Keep an open mind!”
Review of Tee-Jay's Tacos - CLOSED

Tee-Jay's Tacos
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican, Fusion
Dining options: Takeout
Description: Tee Jay's Tacos is a local eatery on Madrona Point, Orcas Island, Washington. TJ's operates out of the Odd Fellows kitchen on Thursday, Friday and Saturday from noon until 6:30 pm from October until May and Thursday and Friday from May until September. We are at the Orcas Island Farmer's Market on Saturday's during these months. The Odd Fellows kitchen is an open kitchen, so our atmosphere is very casual. In good weather we offer outside dining on Fishing Bay with a great view. TJ's has a simple menu built around Tacos, Burritos,Enchiladas and Quesadillas. Our offerings include: beef, poultry, pork, fish and vegetables. The menu is the same from open until close and we have chips & salsa and rice & beans daily. Our appetizers, salads, soups and desserts are seasonal and vary, as well as our weekly specials which have an Asian, near eastern or Indian flair. Be on the lookout for our street sign which says TACOS in big letters.
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Please, please, please, do not let the location, dining room, or kitchen scare you. When we first entered the basement, yes it is in a basement, we almost turned around to leave. The dining room is crude and sparse, and the kitchen is open to the room. This is not a place you go for a view or beautifully decorated dining room. Plain and simple, this is a place you go for incredible food. We stayed in Eastsound for a week, and all we got was over priced and bland food. Day after day, we ate at some of the best restaurants on the island, and day after day, we were disappointed. However, our disappointment stopped here. No, I did not love the atmosphere or decor, but it was the food I wanted. We ordered an enchilada, taco, burrito, and quesadilla. Everything was freshly prepared, incredibly seasoned, fresh, warm, and perfectly cooked. I cannot even describe the quesadilla. It was, by far, the best quesadilla I have ever had in my life. Please be sure to order, at least one, quesadilla. The taco, enchilada, and burrito were all incredible. When we were finished, I so wanted to order a quesadilla "To-Go," but I figured we will just go again tomorrow night! If you prefer a refined dining experience, and atmosphere and views are important to you, at least get your food "To-Go." However, the entire evening was an experience that I am glad I had. We plan to return tomorrow. The food on this island has been less than stellar, and I am glad we found Tee-Jays! I have a feeling that if I come back to Orcas Island in a few years, these guys will have an incredibly successful restaurant, located in a beautiful building. Nobody deserves it more. However, I am from Northeast PA, and I do not think I will ever be back.

4  Thank Clay C

Reviewed October 6, 2012

So glad o have read the reviews of this place! We were a bit confused when we made our way to the basement of the Odd Fellows' building on Wednesday, only to find Thai food on the board. We said we were looking for Tee-Jays - "Not until tomorrow!" We were so set on Mexican food at that point that we turned around and walked out. We made it back Friday and it was every bit as delicious as we'd hoped. The pork tacos are unreal - juicy with a bit of sweetness.
The owners/chefs are two guys in their early/mid-twenties who groove at island pace as they cook. Drinks (Mexican sodas) are in the cooler under the table. Tapatio is available by the half-gallon. Try the orange sauce - it doesn't have the kick that La Vics (San Jose) has, and has a smoother crema finish but it is particularly tasty on the fish tacos.
Sadly, a second visit to Tee-Jay's was not to be, as the guys were out at the Eastsound farmer's market today, peddling salmon tacos and pulled pork sandwiches. We should have hit it when we could.
This was the best meal out this trip - can't wait to be back.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

I can't say enough good things about Tee-Jays. Everyone we've sent there has thanked us in spades. These guys really have it down - for seemingly basic Mexican fare, their recipes are creative and inspired, always fresh and tasty. They have a menu but it's just to get your taste buds going. There's always something special cooking up - ask for a sample. Even the chips (freshly fried), salsas and picketed vegetables (made up on premises) make the mark. For me, it's an addiction - I stop by even when I'm not hungry just for a munch. Yeah, it ain't the Ritz, but it's a warm convivial environment where the regulars and visitors mingle and share in the conversation - and Tim and Jay always make you feel welcome.

1  Thank Jaoquin
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My husband and I moved to Orcas last winter, and we were so happy to find Tee-Jay's Tacos. We eat there at least once a week. The food is delicious (we moved here from California and we didn't think that we could find good Mexican food on Orcas Island) - what a great surprise! The food at Tee-Jay's is better than any Mexican food we have ever had! We love the tacos, quesadillas and burritos, and when they have enchilada soup or anything with duck we are thrilled. We tell all of our new friends on Orcas about TeeJay's, and whenever we have out of town guests we bring them to TeeJay's, and they love it too.
TeeJay's is a bit of a secret, just look for their sign Thursdays through Saturdays - at the Oddfellow's Hall.

Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

Wow, after reading the Gmomm review I wonder if we all visited the same place. Too bad but she didn't sound like she actually tried the food and all her 6 reviews are written over 6 days, kinda weird!!! I like to see my food cooked instead of cooks hiding behind a wall.
Anyway, I eat here a lot and just ate the duck tacos yesterday. OMG
Lots of delicious duck, orange salad shreads, and extra sharp cheese.
Today my others bisides the duck were the Carne Asada and pork. I took a picture cause it looked so yummy!!!