“Wonderful Scallops!”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Beautiful view out on their patio overlooking the water. Our server seemed irritated though after we were sitting on the patio a few minutes and I was too cold because I forgot my jacket. We asked to move inside and it seemed like an inconvenience even though she sat us in her area that she was serving.
The restaurant seemed a bit 'higher class', you don't need to 'dress up' but I don't think it's a good choice if you have children.
We both got scallops and OMG, they were so delicious! Service was a bit slow and we weren't sure if it was just us or all of our server's tables.
I bet all of their food is delicious. Even though I don't think we got the 'best' service, we will return here next year on our trip back to Orcas and looking forward to it!

Reviewed September 26, 2012

If you are in search for great food but don't care much about the service or atmosphere, then eat at Allium. Upon our arrival, we were immediately turned off by the $30 corkage fee. $30!!!!! for a small cafe on a remote island??? And their wine list, is not impressive, its expensive and the wine by the glass options were awful. The wait staff never smiled so all that combined with great food left a lot to be desired. It doesn't take much to make a customer feel welcomed. Allium needs an attitude adjustment and then... it can be considered a restaurant worth going to.

1  Thank suefish
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We had planned to visit Allium on our visit to Orcas Island, but had thought to do so the next night, but when turned away for lack of reservations from another restaurant we walked down to Allium. That was such a good turn of events. The ambiance upstairs at the restaurant was candlelight, quiet, intimate. Which was a great choice as we were on Orcas for a romantic getaway. The Menu while small in choices is filled with what looks like amazing food all the way around. We had a hard time choosing two dishes to share because they all sounded wonderful. We settled on a Field greens Salad (from the islands farms) and the Saffron Clam Chowder to share. For the Entree we had the Sea scallops in a citrus balsamic reduction and the special fish for the night a Curry Salmon......Well we loved them... and the portions are very generous not small samples. Overall, I would highly recommend this place, the view was beautiful, the service polite and quick, but not obtrusive, we were left with time to just have our experience and not rushed in any way....

1  Thank SerenityMidwife
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This was one of the best meals I've had recently. My husband and I were originally going to share the homemade sausage as an appetizer. It was so popular that it was sold out by the time we ordered it. Instead, we ordered the roasted vegetable medley. I'm so glad we did because it was fabulous! Additionally, the waitress brought a bread basket that not only contained good bread and butter, but also small square biscuits that were luscious with the accompanying caramalized onion jam. I could have eaten that all night. Next up was the steak entree cooked perfectly medium rare and seasoned well. The sides were also delicious. My husband chose the duck with lentils and was also very happy with his choice. Unfortunately we were too full for dessert, but did get the "Cookies to Go" to have later in our hotel room. The chef has worked in several upscale restaurants including the Herbfarm and it shows! I hope this fairly new restaurant makes it in this summer tourist town.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

Don't miss this gem - this restaurant was a delight - the food was spectacular, the service impeccable! The chef here, Lisa Nakamura is a genius in the kitchen! Sit on the enclosed porch if weather permits - has a wonderful view of the water, Order the gnocchi - superb! Will definitely eat here when on Orcas Island again!