Open today: 9:00 AM - 8:00 PM
Book In Advance
Tours from Outer Island Expeditions tend to sell out - travelers recommend booking in advance!

Ways to Experience Outer Island Expeditions
from $107.02
More Info
from $117.83
More Info
All reviews whale watching sea lions saw orcas great trip captain paul transient orcas point doughty see whales these guys pods of orcas killer whales boat ride fish knew where smaller boat awesome experience great job
Reviewed yesterday

TLDR: My girlfriend and I were denied entry to the whale watching tour and had to purchase tickets for the next day. We were promised a refund then ghosted.

I purchased tickets for the wrong day. I consider this an honest mistake. I was made aware of this by a confirmation e-mail I received that was sent 1 day after their cancellation window. I reach out and explain the mistake. I'm told that if they're able to sell my tickets to another group that I'll be refunded. I purchase a set of tickets for the following day in good faith and travel to Lopez Island. I get to the island and realize, "Hey, we can actually make the whale watching tour! Let's go down to the pier and see what's up babes!" I arrive at the pier and head down to the boat as it's boarding and inquire about going on the excursion. A woman and the curly haired captain inform me that the boat is at capacity. I think to myself, "Ahhh, well. We can just go tomorrow and at least I'll get a refund as communicated."

We were able to board the boat the next day and we did see some whales from a tremendously far distance. Overall, it was not overly impressive and the people running the tour didn't seem overly knowledgeable. It was pretty bare bones.

I reach out to Outer Island Expeditions DBA Peek.com and they stop responding to my e-mail. I give them a call and no callback. At this point, I'm thinking, "C'mon these guys wouldn't go back on their word. Small businesses generally go above and beyond." I thought wrong. I continue to e-mail and call with no response. I end up having to charge back my credit card which was promptly contested. Book with them at your own risk but know that they're not customer centric or even decent when it comes to their business practices.

Reviewed 1 week ago

Best orca experience; lot of orcas to see up and close.
The boat filled up too quick and it was raining; So there was a bit struggle with toddler to sit away from other family members; They should have one row per family so that ll members sit together.
Other than that, everything else was just awesome.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

First off let me start out by saying I absolutely fear the ocean! It’s scary to think that we (as humans) know more about space then we do the ocean!

With that being said I’ve done a few things to over come my fears by going whale watching, deep sea fishing and just a few boat parties.

This cruise along the coast of Barcelona while you have a few beers and some vino is absolutely amazing!

Highly recommended!

Reviewed 1 week ago

I enjoyed Orcas watching twice. First time with kid and second time with the whole family. Both times we saw Orcas. Sadly they are not that comfortable in a harbor anymore. But company ( boat captain) didn't break any rules when approaching Orcas, and turned off the engine every time we were close to the Orcas. We saw pretty sad picture when boat almost slammed into orcas family on a high speed even our captain was using the horn. The company is a responsible business who cares about this amazing mammals and provides great educational support, our biologists were amazing. I wish there were more responsible businesses like this.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Good trajectory, friendly staff, knowledgeable guide/captain. Lots of orca whales and other sea creatures to see. Just make sure to carry warm clothes even in peak summer.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Very professional staff and business...which leads to safety and fun.Would recommend this company to anyone regardless of age or ability..

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We had such an exceptional whale watching trip, I've scratched whale watching off my bucket list!! We watched 2 California Orca pods teach their babies how to hunt sea lions. For 45 minutes we were in awe of these beautiful ocean mammals. The Captain and the Naturalist were so excited, we knew we were in for a treat. Both Captain and the Naturalist were so informative, I learned facts about Orcas I've never heard before and I have lived my life in Washington state. The weather was beautiful, I couldn't have planned a better day. Thank you Outer Island Excursions.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We visited Orcas very late in the whale season. I would have felt fortunate to see some resident Orcas, but we were lucky enough to spend some time very up close and personal with two beautiful humpback whales. They even swam under the boat.

One suggestion for the crew - it would have been great to have the captain/naturalist talk through a microphone so everyone on the boat could learn about the sea mammals. You could only hear from the top of the boat and we were all interested in learning more.

Overall, it was a great experience. The boat is fast and got us out to the whales very quickly. The scenery alone is amazing, but then to have an up close encounter with these beautiful animals is unforgettable.

Reviewed October 11, 2018

I've used Outer Island Excursions many times in the past four years. When guests come from out-of-town, whale watching is always high on the list of things they want to do. With Outer Island, you can leave from Anacortes or Orcas Island - we prefer the Orcas Island departure. They have a guarantee that you'll see whales, or the next trip is on them. In 8-9 excursions, we've never failed to find the whales! Depending on the season, you'll almost always see harbor seals, harbor porpoise, smaller sea lions, eagles, deer and other wildlife - you may see Gray Whales, Humpback Whales, Minke Whales, Stellar Sea Lions (giant beasts), and Dall's Porpoise (these guys are a blast if you get into the midst of a school!) The captains are expert at navigating the Sound and respecting the whales' space. The naturalists are informative and fun! They can answer simple questions, or help with identifying certain Orcas. They'll help you distinguish a resident Orca from a transient. Eat before you sail and catch the potty before you sail. The boat has snacks and a tiny head. Their snacks are granola bars and candy bars. You'll have a better experience if you take some good snacks along. Mind your trash please? No matter the season - it's cooler out on the Sound than on land. TAKE A JACKET! Even if it's 90 degrees on land, if you're going out on the afternoon/evening excursion, it can cool off fast out on the water. You'll thank me. Sunglasses, a hat, and binoculars are essentials. If you're going out in the earlier spring, or later fall, pack a pair of light gloves. Most of the boats have two levels. Upstairs you can see farther. Downstairs you're closer to the animals that get close. If you're going in the later Fall....get a space in the cabin. In the summer, you'll want to stake out a seat on the upper deck. Now...make your reservations and have a blast!!!

Remember to tip the captain at the end of the journey. It's just gracious.

1  Thank revkevhop
Reviewed October 8, 2018

On September 25, our family of six chartered a boat with Outer Island Excursions. Captain Jake was an excellent guide. Everyone caught Coho Salmon and we saw an Orca. It was many firsts for our family and made for an memorable trip. When we arrived on Orcas Island, we called Outer Island and spoke with Beau to set up our charter. From the start, they worked with us to give us the best experience. We highly recommend Outer Island Excursions and Captain Jake.