“Great Seafood!”

New Leaf Cafe
Ranked #2 of 38 Restaurants in Eastsound
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The cafe is Delicious food with a spirit of genuine service and hospitality Guests who visit the New Leaf remark on two things consistently: the quality of the food and the caring service. Your experience is always at the forefront of our minds - the food must be good and we want you to feel taken care of, delighted, relaxed, welcomed.
“Great Seafood!”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We made reservations for my husband's 50th birthday. We went early enough to have a view of the water for part of the dinner. We started out with Dungeness crab cakes with ginger-pear buerre and habenero cream and steamed local clams with white wine, butter garlic, & fresh herbs. For dinner I had pan seared Alaskan scallops with bacon and my husband had King salmon. Both were served with fresh tarragon buerre blanc, Yukon Gold potatoes and asparagus. The Savignon Blanc that was recommended went great with the meal. The apple caramel torte was on the house for my husband's b-day which he thoroughly enjoyed. I am still thinking of the flourless chocolate torte with a caramel sauce and whipped cream. The food, atmosphere, and service were outstanding. Compared to other well rated establishments we've dined at, the prices were reasonable and well worth it. We will be back for one more dinner before we leave and maybe breakfast.

1 Thank I-love-Rum

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Washington
“Great chef serving good food”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

The weekend breakfast may be the usual fare, but it was raised to a new height by the quality and creativity of the dishes. I had the Mushroom, Spinach omelet, substituting Monterey Jack [available in the special] for the goat cheese [which is too overwhelmingly strong for eggs, to me.] One comment I would have is to add some luncheon type dishes, like their sliders on this menu --- especially as 1pm is their closing. Many do not eat eggs, nor sweets and need an alternative or two. A couple in our party raved over the oyster-egg special. The Monte Cristo is a favorite of the gal next to me. We had to wait for a table, but the wait was worth it.

Graham, Washington
“Excellent Food”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I highly recommend an evening at the The New Leaf Cafe located at the Outlook Inn, EastSound on Orcas Island. The food is simply outstanding and the chef is to be commended for a great meal and the presentation also mirrors the food. The smoked salmon pasta was one of the best I have ever had. Last night I tried the Salmon dinner special. The dish had a wonderful piece of salmon, very tasty and moist covered with a Pine-nut and Hazelnut pesto sauce with yukon gold potatoes and asparagus, topped off with a bottle of Millbrandt vineyards Cab wind. The desserts are excellent with the coffee made from organic beans roasted on the island. I recommend a great evening to enjoy their offering and a great kudos to the waitresses who will take care of you during the meal. Excellent, courteous service. You also will truly enjoy the view of the bay which provides an outstanding evening view.

Portland, Maine
“Great food, great atmosphere, great service, all at a price.”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We just had an appetizer and a couple of drinks at the bar before heading out for the night. The bartender was kind, personable, helpful, and honest. The food was just what you would expect from the most highly regarded restaurant on the island, delicious. The drinks were strong and mixed to perfection. Folks sitting in the dinning room were treated with white linens and expert waitstaff. Paying the tab left my wallet a bit lighter.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank DocW543
Lake Oswego, Oregon
“Family meals on vacation”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We had excellent meals at this restaurant several times during many vacations on Orcas Island. That said, I give it an average score for their attitude. One time we went in to have "Happy Hour" (we were staying in the suites which are a part of this restaurant) and were told that we could not partake because we have children and they could not sit in the lounge. I was disappointed because where we come from, kids can sit in the lounge so long as food is served there and as long as they don't belly up to the bar. We were going to go somewhere else instead but they decided to let us have the Happy Hour at a table next to the lounge. I was very happy at this decision but regretted it later. The waitstaff were angry that we were doing this--even though we also ordered off the regular menu and tipped on the full price. This has left a bad memory for me and I will probably avoid going there again. Sad, because we are moving to the island this summer.

• Visited June 2012