“A peaceful and pleasant stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rosario Resort and Spa

Rosario Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Eastsound
Eatonville, Washington
“A peaceful and pleasant stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2010

My wife and I spent our twenty-fifth anniversary at Rosario. Joleen set us up for a two-night stay. She was very accomodating and eager to help us. She updated our room status as an anniversary surprise and the rest is pleasant history. We really hope the resort solves their restaurant situation to only help matters for future stays. Good luck
to all of you and we'll be back!

Ronald Dehnert
Eatonville, WA

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rondehrosa
RosarioResort, General Manager at Rosario Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 3, 2010
We are always honored when a guest chooses Rosario to celebrate a special occasion in their lives... thank you and congratulations! I’d also like to thank this guest for taking the time to point out Jolene, as it’s great to hear about our guest's experience with our staff. We look forward to their return!

Rosario Resort & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2010

My wife and I are just wrapping up four nights at Rosario. I would say it's a mostly good news story, but not entirely. The location is stunning. Our room was spacious and pleasant. And, at $129/night off season, I have no complaints. The spa is a maze, but everything's there and we enjoyed a massage, the hot tub and the sauna. Christopher, the manager, clearly considers Rosario a labor of love...we asked for a microwave and he brought it right over.

We wanted an adult getaway, in a romantic spot, and we got that.

That having been said...
1) The small grape: electronics. There needs to be investment here. The internet worked only when it seemed to want to. Even on a romantic getaway, we both needed to be connected and it wasn't happening with consistency. And the last CRT TVs is the US need to be replaced...they flicker and resolution simply isn't what a traveler expects these days.
2) The Big grape: food. If you are a "resort" rather than a hotel, and you have a web site that talks about "award winning food," then have it. The continental breakfast at $5 isn't what you'd get for free at a Holiday Inn Express. More importantly, because it was cold on Thanksgiving night, we stayed and ate the meal offered at the Quilted Pig. I'm sorry, but it was unacceptable. The souffle came unheated. The bean and mushroom soup was, similarly, only at room temperature and other than color had no hint of mushroom. But these were the lead in to the Swanson TV dinner main course: slabs of textureless turkey breast, steamed broccoli, a scoop of mashed potatoes, and dry cornbread stuffing. Only the cranberry sauce has any taste. Has the chef been told about spices? This resembled the seniors plate at Dennys, where it would have been 1/3 the price. Dessert was adequate, but that's as high as the meal rose. Frankly, do it right or don't do it. I've seen prior reviews of the resort where the response has been "the restaurant is an independent entity." Sorry, that doesn't cut it. It's under your roof, under your umbrella in the publicity. Take ownership.

I would not let the restaurant situation keep you away from Rosario, but I would not eat here, and I would come here knowing that I was going into towm every night.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
RosarioResort, General Manager at Rosario Resort and Spa, responded to this review, November 29, 2010
It is nice to hear this guest had a romantic time at Rosario and rated each category as quite high! Unfortunately, they were caught in a bit of a transition for us. Our leased restaurant The Quilted Pig’s last day was Thanksgiving. They announced they were closing the previous week. I immediately informed all of our incoming guests that there would not be food and beverage available at the resort after Thanksgiving and gave our guests the option to cancel for a full refund. We are in fact taking ownership of the restaurant operation and look forward to reopening in the spring of 2011. I am sorry to hear that this guest did not enjoy their Thanksgiving Dinner.

The comment regarding our televisions is very timely, as I have spent Black Friday and Cyber Monday looking to replace them. As for internet reliability, the unfortunate reality is that we have very poor internet infrastructure available to us at our location on the island. The speed and reliability is far below today’s standards. We are working constantly with our Internet Service Providers to improve our service.

This is certainly a fair and constructive review and I appreciate this guest taking their time to write it. I am glad to hear they will recommend Rosario to others.

Orange, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2010

Except the location and the friendly staff at the reception everything else would not qualify even for a motel. The rooms were greatly neglected, the appliances, fixtures are in dire need for replacement/repairs.The breakfast was tasteless continental. The fancy restaurant at the hotel had a very limited menu and the special of the night was spaghetti and meat balls.
I would not recomend it unless they redo everything.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Teddy073
RosarioResort, General Manager at Rosario Resort and Spa, responded to this review, November 27, 2010
This is certainly a disappointing review to read for several reasons. First, we never want our guests leaving here unhappy. Second, after reopening under new ownership and thousands of guests this year, this is our first very negative review on this site. We will learn from it.

When this guest’s reservation was made, they were told of the dining options at the resort and on the island. Learning that our restaurant would be closed the first night of their three-day visit, they called back to say they may cancel. They called back an hour later to keep the reservation. When they arrived, they asked to look at the room first before checking in. They returned to the front desk where they said the room was “excellent.” On the second day of their visit they wanted to extend their stay for a fourth night but they ended up checking out as originally scheduled. Upon checking out they stated that the dining options on the island did not meet their expectations. I bring this up for two reasons 1) we take detailed notes on our guests as we care about them and their experience with us and 2) at no time during their visit did they express disappointment with the resort or their accommodations (other than the restaurant being closed on their first night here). It is difficult to improve on our guest’s experience when they are expressing their disappointment a month later in this forum.

As far as our spaghetti and meatball special, we offer a nightly “Homestyle Special” at $14.95, a great value for what is in fact homemade pasta and organic beef from Jones Family Farm on Lopez Island, which many guests have said is excellent.

Our continental breakfast includes coffee, tea, orange juice, tomato juice, toast, three varieties of muffins, bagels, cream cheese, jelly, three varieties of cereals, oatmeal, yogurt, bananas and apples.

Along with our restaurant, it is common knowledge in the Pacific Northwest that there are many excellent dining options on Orcas Island (please refer to tripadvisor reviews), including Inn at Ship Bay, Allium (which this reviewer gave an excellent rating to on this site), New Leaf Café, Madrona Bar and Grill, Mia’s, Café Olga, Lu Lu’s, Roses Café, Bilbo’s and more!

I feel our staff was very upfront and honest with these guests in regards to what we were offering, from when they made their reservation to when the arrived, but obviously they had different expectations and for that I apologize.
Bellevue, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2010

The history and the beautiful setting of this mansion make it so worthwhile the stay. Pool and spa area (in the main building) with the old tile-work and lake view make it very special, while all is carefully renovated and clean. If you are into architecture - this is a great arts and crafts house - with lots of pictures in the always open museum on the 2nd floor. Our 2 queen bedroom (rooms are in little renovated buildings a short walk off the main building) was very spacious with great views on the lake and the mansion. Simple help yourself breakfast with a view for $5pp in the main house. Check if they offer a Saturday afternoon organ concert with slide show and history lessen - worth going! Room for improvement: There are plenty of opportunities especially outside - obvious that it's hard to keep up with painting, landscaping, etc. and we were a bit dissappointed that at 9.30pm on Saturday night there was not even the bar open - stay in Eastsound if you are looking for a night out. Dinner in Eastsound (few minutes drive) and at the Ship Bay was fantastic - organic, local, quaint.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
RosarioResort, General Manager at Rosario Resort and Spa, responded to this review, November 8, 2010
I am so glad this reviewer enjoyed her visit to Orcas Island. This guest actually contacted me a few weeks prior to their arrival asking me about the condition of the resort since she heard it had been closed and this was a special trip with her mother. I told her to visit tripadvisor.com for unbiased reviews! She told she decided to keep her reservation and she said she was glad she did.

She made some very excellent observations for improvement, both in this review and with me personally. The best part of this review is letting us know she “will be back!”

Thank you again for contacting me personally and I look forward to your return.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2010

On a west coast jaunt, a friend talked me into spending a night at this place and I was totally amazed by how beautiful and interesting it is. Staff was friendly and helpful. If you are a history buff or have any appreciation of fine carpentry, Rosario has a lot to offer. The hotel was built by a shipping magnate using ship builders and it is gloriously and beautifully made. We were only there one night and I really wished we could have stayed longer. Loved sitting on the veranda of the bar-- Felt like being in a Merchant and Ivory movie!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Rosario for future travelers. I am glad this guest thinks Rosario is "an amazing place!" Our location is beautiful, the history is interesting, but it is always best to read in a guest review that our staff is friendly and helpful! A first-hand experience with the courtesy of our staff is very helpful for others to see. I do hope you will return and stay longer!

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2010

Lovely location and an historic treasure. We stayed in The Residences. The walls are thin and if you are in a lower floor unit, you can hear the folks in the unit above tromping about. The views from the units down the sound are stunning. The units themselves were less than clean. Clean enough but there were dust bunnies in the corners and it was clear that the washing machine and dryer had never been cleaned out or wiped down on their exterior. The wine glasses were filthy and had to be washed before they could be used. There was a half used bottle of mouthwash left on the bathroom counter as well as several half used small bottles of shampoo and conditioner.

The restaurant at the hotel, The Quilted Pig, was an abomination. We ordered pre-dinner cocktails and our server brought them promptly. But it looked like he'd been working on automobiles all day as his nails and fingers were caked with grease and grit. The food was horrible, although the chef did accommodate my request for a plate of roasted vegetables since there was nothing on the menu I could eat. My husband's rock fish was over cooked and his vegetables were greasy.

On our departure day, we had to catch an early ferry and when we tried to check out around 7:45 am, the front desk at the hotel was locked up tighter than a drum with no one in sight. So we just left the keys by the front door.

We expected better from a place that bills itself as a high end resort.

Disappointing. We won't be back.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
RosarioResort, General Manager at Rosario Resort and Spa, responded to this review, September 26, 2010
It is very unfortunate to hear this guest had a disappointing experience at Rosario. There is no excuse for the housekeeping issues mentioned and I apologize. Our staff consistently works toward improving upon guest issues that are brought to our attention in this forum; however, as I have mentioned before, I highly encourage anyone that has an issue during a hotel stay to contact the management during your stay, as only then can we address any guest concerns that would make a stay with us more enjoyable.

Our restaurant is leased and the comments in this review regarding the restaurant have been passed on to Chef Madden. Again, it is unfortunate that they had a disappointing experience considering all the excellent comments we have received on his cuisine. I am glad Chef Madden was responsive to this guest’s specific dietary needs.

Our front desk is open from 8 am – 11 pm, with a manager available 24 hours a day via phone from the rooms or a phone at the front door.

Finally, The Residences are some of the nicest accommodations in the islands. As such, they are priced higher than our other rooms; however, at no time do we bill ourselves as a “high end” resort. Rosario is set in a spectacular location and is historically amazing, but we do not offer 24 hour services, bellman, room service, etc. We strive to provide a very friendly and helpful staff and hope our guests have a wonderful, relaxing, and comfortable experience at a good value.

Again, it is unfortunate that these guests were disappointed and I am sorry for that. We are never happy when a guest is not happy.

Oroville, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2010

We planned a trip to Orcas Island hoping to give the kids a new experience from our traditional seaside vacations. What a treat it was to turn into the drive and see this resort in person. After much research I chose it for its history hoping some of the earlier negative reviews were wrong about the lodging. They were! The rooms were perfect--clean--tastefully decorated--and located on the beautiful grounds. The staff was exceptionally courteous. The highligt of my whole trip--and believe me, there were many-- was the 4:00 concert given in the music room of the mansion. I told my husband (who has to sit through far too many recitals for our daughters) to try to keep our 12 year old son in there as long as possible while my daughters and I enjoyed the concert hoping our son would experience a little culture. What a treat it was to keep turning around to check on them and seeing both husband and son smile back. They sat through the whole concert--and---loved it! When the sounds of the pipe organ swelled around us as Robert Moran's own photos flashed on the screen, I was overwhelmed with emotion. What a surprise to have my son mention that he could almost feel Mr. Moran in the room with us. Thank you Mr Peacock for inspiring my heretofore recital-squirming son into sitting still and truly appreciating the music! I'm so pleased that much of the Mansion has remained original--furnishings, lighting etc. This mansion has real, lasting class--not check-book decorating. I would definitely recommend this resort. My only complaint was that only one night was available when we made reservations so we couldn't stay all three nights there. Book a room early, it is well worth the reasonable price. Thank you Rosario Resort for the memories!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the nice review! It is always a treat to introduce young people (and all of our guests) to the music and history of Rosario. A visit to Rosario is always a great family experience that will provide for long lasting memories!

Rosario Resort & Spa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eastsound
Outlook Inn on Orcas Island
#1 of 11 in Orcas Island
Discovery Inn
Discovery Inn
#2 of 10 in Friday Harbor

Been to Rosario Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!