“Too much poor food”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Winston-Salem, NC
“Too much poor food”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Have been here in the past and were pleased so returned expecting good, not gourmet, food. Sadly, not so... Sitting outside, though no view and rather scruffy, was the highlight. The clam chowder was both thick and full of potatoes to excess. The halibut tacos were oversized but quite fishy tasting. Service was poor. Not a happy experience on a spectacular warm, sunny day.

2 Thank NCtravelerWS

Seattle
“My dear sweet Wally's...what happened to the chowda?”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Let me start this by saying I love Wally's...it's been one of my favorite restaurants for the 13 years I've lived in Seattle. I was there the weekend before last on a Sunday and it wasn't a great experience. We were seated right away, took our drink and food orders right away but that's where the good stopped. We ordered the fish tacos w/ chowder and patiently waited for the chowder to come, but it never did. The manager (I think that's who he is) brought out our fish tacos and we inquired about the chowder. He apologized and said he'd bring it right out...also took my friends soda to refill it...but that nor the chowder arrived back at our table. The server then brought us our check and we asked again for the chowder and my friend's soda...he said you want more chowder? And I said no, we want THE chowder...he brought one cup of it and her soda, we had to ask again for the other cup for me. It did get brought to me and much to my chagrin... the receipe had changed! WHY, Wally's? Why?! The folks that work there are so nice and the manager was very apologetic about the mix ups with the food, soda, etc and gave us a free dessert. But that didn't make up for the fact that my favorite chowder in the whole world was no longer the same. So very, very sad. Hopefully it was just an off batch and it'll be back to normal next time. Fingers crossed!

3 Thank CassL
Milton, Washington
“What a shame.”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Our family loves the clam chowder and fish at Wally's, so for my birthday I said that's where I wanted to go. My wife got the all you can eat prawns and I got the all you can eat fish. Both come with all you can eat chowder. Pricey but if you come hungry it’s worth it. Our two girls got fish tacos and clam strips. The chowder came right away, delivered by our waiter, Kevin. The food took longer than usual but we noticed they were pretty busy when we first arrived. When Kevin delivered the food he asked if I wanted more chowder. About 20 minutes later a bus-boy, assuming we were done, asked if he could take our plates. We explained that our server had never returned and that we would like a second helping of fish, prawns, and chowder. He said he would tell our server. 5 minutes later Kevin appears and asked if we were done. I explained that we both would like a second helping of our "all you can eat". Another 15 minutes and the second helping arrives. Kevin again disappears and our water glasses remain empty. Kevin reappears and I ask for the check and tell Kevin my wife would like one more serving of shrimp. 20 minutes later, the check arrives but Kevin has no recollection of the shrimp. Not wanting to wait until my next birthday for the shrimp to arrive, we give up and pay the check. Food was good but not good enough to excuse the horrible service. My next birthday will be celebrated somewhere else.

7 Thank Brinnon
Seattle, Washington
“Great old fashioned seafood”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Looking for rich creamy clam chowder, this is your place. Small quaint, no frills good fish & chips, all you can eat prawns for less than $20. Homey & super friendly.

Auburn, Washington
“I'd give it a 4+ if I could”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We've been to Wally's probably six times which would be an indication that we like it. We've taken out-of-town guests on three of those occasions for lunch. I've always gotten the fish and chips, both halibut and cod. Both were some of the best. The fries are also excellent. Big and thick (but not the steak fry type), crispy on the outside, tender of the inside. Others have gotten the crab salad which is large and has lots of crab. The clam chowder is also very good. Our service has always been friendly and fast. Unfortunately, even though it's located on Marine View Drive, there is very little marine view, but after you eat, drive a couple of blocks to the waterfront and take a nice stroll along the marina with views of Vashon Island and the Olympic Mts.

2 Thank Roadtrip E

Been to Wally's Chowder House? Share your experiences!