“*ugly, filthy, stinky, worst hotel ever*”
Review of Garden Suites Inn

Garden Suites Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Des Moines B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 18, 2013

This was the biggest mistake we made. We did not read reviews and choose something quick. This place is smoking, worst smells ever. People walking around with there dogs. The rooms were worse. The microwave didn't work, not jet tubs as claimed, no pool as pictures. Rooms was filthy I has two kids and I was so upset. Carpets are disgusting dirty. Dirty stains all over sofa, safety lock was broken, cigarette burns all over sheets. My husband woke up and turned his pillow and there was blood stains on pillow. Bathrooms were utterly sick, lets say we would have left but there was a few things going on in town and everything was booked. Hotels consists of bum looking tenets. Woke up to people fighting next door through paper thin walls. If you want to have nightmares stay here.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Petejulia

Reviewed August 6, 2013

This was by far the dirtiest place u have ever stayed. The staff were rude and unhelpful in any way. All they could say to us was that the conditions of the room were not their fault and if we didn't like it we could go somewhere else at midnight. The lights in the room didn't work. Cigarette burns on ever surface of the room including the floor, ceiling (oh yeah!) and sheets. Shower curtain was moldy and ripped. The bathroom was broken and wouldnt close.There were no clean towels but there was dirty ones and used bar soap in the shower. Staying there was the biggest mistake of my life.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank MillerB1
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We booked this hotel on the Internet. This place stunk and was very dirty. We stayed only long enough to get accommodation elsewhere for the night which was approx 1 hour. Lots of people wandering around, didn't know whether they were guests or just locals.. We did not feel safe at all, could not wait to get out of the Hole. DO NOT STAY HERE, not a place to take your kids.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank HARRY C
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here before an early flight. Room was dirty & stinky. I was prepared to forfeit the $100 I had already paid but could not find another hotel, everything was booked. I should've stayed in my car. Please don't stay here.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank GaylD
Reviewed May 20, 2013

My travelling companions and I were going to Seattle for a fun weekend of city exploration. We had booked at a different hotel, but got in too late and lost our room. The guy recommended Garden Suites, whom he called and told us that the lady was "quite mean" on the phone. My buddy called her as well, and booked us a room (also echoing the woman's rudeness).

We drive to the place, not expecting much for 65$ a night. What we found was quite disgusting.. more akin to a place you would probably bring a prostitute.. and I'm not an overly picky person when it comes to this stuff. The window was wide open, probably because the room REEKED of stale cigarette smoke. Immediately, the following was noticed.

- The windowsill had an extremely large amount of dirt and grime on it, implying that the place simply had not been cleaned. A spray of cleaner and a rag would have gotten this off.
- The floor had so many stains on it and was so dirty that I did not want to walk on it without shoes. It was definitely not vacuumed anytime recently.
- The bedspread had what was hopefully dried food on it. The sheets had multiple stains.
- The bathtub also had stains on it, yellow disgusting ones.
- The phone looked like they fished it out of a dumpster.
- The artwork on the walls had a sticker half ripped off it from when they bought it at an auction. 5 minutes could have taken this out.

After we went and said that our room was disgusting, the woman running the place would not offer a refund but said we could switch rooms. We went across the hall to a slightly-less-disgusting version of the same room.. which had all of the same problems except a little less gross (and did not reek from years of smoking). It did have disgusting water damage on the ceiling, but it was 1 AM and we just sucked it up and stayed there. I slept fully clothed as to not touch most of the bed.

Anyways, I highly recommend you DO NOT stay here. The only positive of this place was the fact that they had free WIFI that actually worked.. but everything else gave this place my prize for "Most Disgusting Hotel I've Ever Stayed In". Congratulations, Garden Suites! Now, I would recommend you actually hire a person or two to take care of the place, instead of just making the bed and putting in some stained but non-smelly towels after a guest stays in the room.

NASTY! The pictures I have do not do the true filth in this place any justice.

Room Tip: 208 was SLIGHTLY less smelly and dirty than 213?
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank steven s
Reviewed January 4, 2012

We just moved here and ppl say this place is really nice and good...they are wrong. they wouldnt help you if you need help...we had laundry and the site said they have laundry room...its only for student they said who dont have cars...we dont have a car and it was raining and we dont know any laundry mat around the area....if you stay here you have to pay your room and buy everything you need cause if ur gonna ask..they will be rude to you...its funny how the indian ppl treats their quest..if they dont like ppl why work here? oh they let me wash but gave me attutude so i jus smiled and wanted to slap her face....she told me i cannot wash after ten cause she doesnt want to go downstairs to open the laundry...sucks tho..at breakfast they refill the milk and juice like they dont want us to drink...i dont know but this place sucks big time;(

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank selsoam
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Good place to sleep if you're coming in late to get to the aiport. You get what you pay for, but the bed was comfortable and the staff was friendly.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Linda O

Been to Garden Suites Inn? Share your experiences!