“Great option for park n fly”
Review of Marina Inn

Marina Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Des Moines
Vancouver, Canada
“Great option for park n fly”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We have stayed here several times on a park n fly package. The shuttle is quick, and operates 24 hours a day. The hotel is a few minutes from the airport, but just far enough you don't have to worry about loud noises from planes. Rooms are nice, comfortable and clean.
Most rooms have a kitchentte, coffee maker and coffee packs.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank jhwoolman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Delta, Canada
Reviewed February 5, 2013

My reservation was 'cocked-up' 3 times - initially on the phone and twice at check in. Beds were brutally hard and neither of us slept hardly at all. We were on a stay and fly package which has a somewhat discounted rate from other places in the area. Room is very dated but no creepy crawly things. A charge list on plastic leaning against the bathroom mirror - what's up with that?? Easy 1/2 block walk to a couple of good pubs if you want to unwind with a pint or cocktail before heading to bed. Quite location for sure. Sorry Marina Inn - first and last time for me.

Room Tip: Tiny parking lot for long stay and flys - bring your smallest vehicle you can.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Randy R
MarinaInn, Front Office Manager at Marina Inn, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
I have no idea what this gentelman is refering to ( cock-ed up???) I handled the reservation and the check-in. I dont recall any problems

Travelers are raving about these Des Moines hotels

Reviewed January 16, 2013

We chose the marina based on the positive reviews. And the Info was mostly accurate. Good price, clean, friendly and cheerful staff, and the best bang for your buck. Beware of the following: if you fly out early, they will give you some prepackaged pastries, but there is no coffee! Also they are absurdly strict about the shuttle service. We asked to leave at 5.15 but were told only 5 or 5.30. Yet there was no one else up and the shuttle lady was the one who brought out the pastries. She could have driven us at any time. We think she was in the back smoking because the shuttle (as well as the lobby) smelled of smoke. The shuttle back was a bit of a gong show. I called from the arrivals area and was told, despite having my luggage and being 2 minutes from the pickup area, that I must call using the courtesy phone. I nearly froze waiting 40 minutes to be picked up. This delay is a combination of the 15 minute distance from the hotel and ???!, despite this, the shuttle crew were cheery and helpful. I just think a hotel near the airport would be more efficient. Also, our room was extremely (January) cold upon arrival. This was ok as we revved the heat and it was warm when we returned from dinner. However, I'm returning from a late flight in three weeks and will need a post, rather than pre, night hotel. I will likely stay somewhere less "rule" driven and closer to the airport.I can just hear the front desk person cheerfully denying my request to pre heat the room.

Room Tip: Make sure you arrive at least an hour before your bedtime so you can heat up the room. No coffee for...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paula H
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We stayed here on a park-and-fly package and found it a pleasant alternative to the many chain motels on International Boulevard. It was quiet, comfortable and clean. Shuttle service to the airport was easy and efficient. And it was great to stay in a place that felt like a real "neighborhood" where you could walk around and find interesting bits to look at. Price was definitely in the "budget" catgegory, and that did mean that some of the furnishings looked a little in need of refurbishment. But the corridors appeared newly painted in lovely shades of blue and yellow, echoing the "marina" theme.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Mctick
SeaTac, Washington
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed New Year's Eve 2012 at Marina Inn because we'd stayed there before and it is close to everything in Des Moines. The room was nice and large but the towels in the bathroom were worn and thin and a bit on the gray side - definitely in need of replacement. The bed was comfortable and we had a nice view of the sound with the mountains behind it. All in all, an OK stay and next time we want to spend time in Des Moines and not have to drive, we'll do it again.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor room with a view of the water.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Velvet21
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Stayed here for one night because it was pretty much the cheapest place around. The room turned out to be more of a suite so there was lots of space, and we were pleasantly surprised at this. Behind the bed hadn't been cleaned (nowhere that I would be going), and the burner cover on the stove had been burned, but neither of these were cause for concern. The bathroom was clean, which is important, and despite the old decor, the room looked pretty decent. I was excited at the price and the fact that I could sleep in a King size bed. The best part was that the hotel was quiet; inside and out. I'm used to cheap hotels being right on the highway, so this was very nice.

Room Tip: Good value. If you're trying to save money, this is a good choice
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TravellingForCheap
AK
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I originally selected the Marina for all the good reviews that I had read about the Inn on this site and others. However, my experience at the Marina turned out to be far different than that of other travelers who've provided reviews here
There are a lot of things that I can overlook in a hotel especially when it falls in the category of budget hotel. However, coming back late in the afternoon after a day out only to find my door ajar is not something that I can overlook. I reported it immediately and the front desk person said he'd bring it up with housekeeping but otherwise did not take my report very seriously. Later in the week, the night manager called to ask if I had declined room service for 3 days because of that incident and I told her yes. She tried to make excuses about the old door jams and the weather getting colder. She also offered to switch my room or clean it (it was 9 pm and I was leaving the next morning). I saw little use in either option and declined the offer. After I reiterated how lightly my initial report to the front desk was taken, she essentially said that hadn’t complained loud enough or long enough for them to do something about it. The whole episode was very bizarre and unsettling. The management at this business is not well versed in the concept of "customer service". This was not my only issue with the Marina but it was the most glaring.

I would never stay here again and to anyone who does stay here; DO NOT leave anything of value in your room at any time; this is place is unsecured and unsafe.

Room Tip: Select another hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Hampton Inn and Suites Seattle-Airport/28th Ave
Coast Gateway Hotel
Coast Gateway Hotel
#3 of 34 in SeaTac

Been to Marina Inn? Share your experiences!