“Very clean and adequate rooms, could use updating”
Review of Marina Inn

Marina Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Des Moines
Houston
“Very clean and adequate rooms, could use updating”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We stayed here for three nights after choosing this motel based upon Tripadvisor reviews and the price. Although clearly an older property, the owners keep it very clean and neat. The reviews were mostly spot on in regards to what to expect. The room was very clean, spacious, and the bed was comfortable enough. Our room had apparently just been painted which left a distinct odor which we first feared was an extermination odor, but later realized it was probably just the paint. The carpet also appeared to be new. With just a few improvements such as better sheets and towels, and perhaps a newer bedspread, the room could definitely be much better. (The towels and sheets were very thin.) All in all, we got what we paid for.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Walla Walla, WA
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We arrived early for check in by several hours and the desk man took great care of us and found a room that was ready so me would not have to wait. If you are there on a Saturday be sure to go to the Farmers Market just a short distance away. Our room was very spacious and the King Size Bed quite clean and comfortable. This is a non smoking facility so the room did not have that "lived in" smell that I have experience in many other places. We did not get up early enough to have the continental breakfast but the breakfast area appeared nice. Our room had coffee as well as all the other amenities that you would want. For under $100 (including tax) this was quite a find. One of the best Sunday Brunch Buffets in the United States is just down the beach at Salty's so if you can be sure to enjoy that. All in all I do not think even the pickiest traveler would have a problem with the Marina inn in Des Moines.

Room Tip: Our room was very spacious but I did not see any others
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JesseGriffin
Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed July 11, 2012

First, the plusses. . . The staff (husband and wife duo, I think) are kind and helpful. The rooms are large and well cleaned, and the bed was adequate. The shuttle service to Seatac was efficient. The Chinese restaurant down the road serves excellent food with speed and friendliness. Now, the downside. . . While the older grounds are quite well kept, the interior of this hotel leaves me unnerved: an odd smell, stacked-up furniture in the hall, worn-looking lobby and hallways, and banged-up doors left me with the feeling that I was in a cleaned-up, ex-hooker-ex-druggie lair. Would I stay there again? Maybe, since the price is right.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CindyMaree
Everett, Washington
Reviewed June 29, 2012

The Marina Inn is a great place to stay. We spent a night, flew off, and came back to get our car a week later. The place is older but very clean. The shuttle service was fantastic. I love it and will definately use it again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GenotheViking
Scottsbluff, Nebraska
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Just like the other reviewers have said, the Marina Inn is not the most up-to-date as far as decor, but the room was clean, HUGE, and customer service was AMAZING. I am a nervous traveler, and decided at 5:45am that my 6:40am appointment to be taken to the airport was not early enough. I made a frantic call to the front desk (waking people up, I'm sure), and Lisa said she could meet me in the lobby in 5 minutes to take me right then! An inconvenience for her, but it made a big difference to me; it started my trip off on the right foot, because I got to the airport with some wiggle room to get through security. I would not only stay here again for their airport services, but if I ever need a hotel in the area!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Bridget B
San Diego, California
Reviewed June 3, 2012 via mobile

We just checked in here for a 3 night stay after 2 nights in Port Angeles. The grounds are very clean, as is the lobby and the interior of the building. Tim helped us at the front desk and was very courteous and welcoming. He allowed us our choice of floors (not sure if this is standard, we don't travel much), which was nice. The interior looks like it was recently painted and recarpeted and the rooms don't have that "old motel room" smell that usually comes with a $70 a night place - another plus :). The room is quite large with a kitchenette of sorts - a sink, mini fridge, and microwave - and it has a sofa along with two chairs and a round table.

All in all, I'd like to give the establishment 4 stars, but the area isn't that great... I know the owner has little to do with this, but I don't want to mislead anyone that doesn't take time to read the whole review. If you're looking for an affordable place to sleep and/or hangout in your room then this is it!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Cannonette
Bothell, WA
Reviewed May 27, 2012

We stayed here after a pub crawl, so anything was better than driving 50 miles home. Our room was pretty old & tired looking, although it did have a sink, refrigerator, microwave & a 2 burner electric stove. The bed was OK until the morning when the fitted bottom sheet & the mattress pad had bunched up into wrinkles, making it somewhat uncomfortable. Because of the larger kitchen, our room had the couch close to the door & the bed by the window. The king bed did not allow room for a nightstand on both sides, which I found annoying since I usually like to put a small flashlight on the nightstand on my side. We visited another room which had the bed first & then the couch. They had room for 2 nightstand & a small round table, but only had a Fridge & Microwave, no stove. The tub was probably clean, but permanently dirty looking & the towels were small & thin. Breakfast consisted of coffee, milk, 1 juice type, Rice Krispies, Cocopuffs, a waffle maker, a toaster & bread or bagles. There was also a fruit bowl, so we just has a banana each & drove home for breakfast.
Also, don't be fooled by the lobby photo shown on this website. This property is no longer a Ramada.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to face the parking lot & on the ground floor there is a lot of noise from people...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Cedarbrook Lodge
Cedarbrook Lodge
#1 of 34 in SeaTac
Best Western Plus Plaza By The Green

Been to Marina Inn? Share your experiences!