“Nice sailing trip for 6 friends”

Northwest Classic Daysailing
More attraction details
Owner description: Offering 3-hour day-sails aboard Classic Wooden Sloop "Aura" from May to October, departing from the Deer Harbor Marina. Learn to sail, steer and handle llines as much or as little as you desire. Bring food for a floating picnic. We will navigate through the scenic heart of the San Juans. Maximum 6 people. It's beautiful out there!
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Our 3 hour trip was good from the point of view that we made it good. We arrived as scheduled to find no one at the boat, so we sat on the dock and ate our sandwiches. We called the number, but could hear the phone was on the boat, and Ward was not. When he did arrive, he barely acknowledged us, stepped over us with out saying a word and when I asked what we should do, he looked at me and said "get on the boat". No smiling, no welcome, no friendly chatter and all 6 of us felt like we had offended him or done something wrong. It was not a good way to start a nice day on the water. He did warm up a bit, but not much and he did let us take the tiller. He shared information only when we asked and otherwise took several phone calls while we were out sailing. I can not recommend this sailboat or captain. Also, there was no parking anywhere near by.

2  Thank ProspectJo
Ward F, Owner at Northwest Classic Daysailing, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

I am so sorry your trip wasn't good, please accept my apology. I need to do much better than that, and I will, If anyone ever calls me again. Please contact me for your money back.
Ward

Reviewed June 17, 2012

Fantastic Trip! We give it the highest rating. Ward had the boat ready and was waiting for us when we arrived at the agreed time. He gave us an orientation to the boat and to general safety considerations when out on the water. We then headed out for an afternoon of beautiful and relaxing sailing. This trip can be a first time sailing adventure, a relaxing trip for the experienced sailor, or just enjoyable time on the water. Ward lets folks participate as they wish with working lines, the sails or the tiller. We flew the spinnaker on the down wind run. That is always fun! Scenery is great and Ward knows the local landscape and wildlife and provides a naturalist commentary. The wooden boat has an interesting history and Ward has raced her in Port Townsend Wooden Boat festivals and won several awards including a first place pennant. We will return for another sail and will recommend this trip highly to our friends and family that come to Orcas Island. Thank you Captain Ward! - Phil and Jan, Colorado

3  Thank Phil B
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Great trip! Even got to steer and pull ropes. Felt like I was really learning how to sail. Very knowledgeable captain!

1  Thank Jake N
Reviewed October 12, 2011

Cap't Ward Fay took my wife and I and our grown daughter and her husband out for a morning sail on his classic wooden boat. The fog was clearing as we left the dock, and the Captain quickly turned the helm over to me and then to the others while he set and trimmed sails. We had only very light breezes but Capt. Fay reads the water and we went in search of wind. Have no fear of rough water, the area is well protected by the surrounding islands. We went almost all the way to Friday Harbor before turning back. On the way we enjoyed the scenery including waterfront homes, passing ferries, deserted islands and a small islet that serves as a haulout for harbor seals. Very recommended!

Reviewed August 19, 2011

We had a wonderful time with Ward on his beautiful wooden sailboat. For those of you who are curious about sailing, or just want to go for the amazing scenery, this is the trip for you!!

1  Thank Mistersharpie