“Nice 2 day getaway”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Deer Harbor
Langley, B.C.
“Nice 2 day getaway”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We booked the Deer Harbor Inn through groupon for two nights.

The Inn is an older building but that is definatley part of it's charm.

Our welcome basket had apples, orange juice,bananas and granola.

The bed was very comfy - the grounds were lovely and it was a very peaceful place.

We could hear the people upstairs but after being out in the fresh ocean air all day we had no problems sleeping.

There were some beautiful antiques in the common areas and a fridge containing milk and other drinks.

The restaurant on the grounds was great - we showed up 5 minutes before it closed and they fed us, no problem.

We went back the following evening and had the scrumptious crab legs ..... we shared it and we were both stuffed.

Super clean, peaceful, ahhhhhhh!

We are looking forward to returning for a longer stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Reviewed May 26, 2013

My wife and I spent two nights in late September and had a delightful stay. You have to keep in mind that this is a rustic lodge, not a modern resort hotel, so it isn't fancy. That said, our room had everything we needed. The basket of fruit, muffins, bagels, etc. that they leave each day was a nice touch. The grounds are beautiful, with rabbits, birds, and deer roaming around. A couple other people posted that the walls are thin, but we were fortunate that the guests in the neighboring rooms were quiet. We have since stayed at another B&B on Orcas that we prefer -- the rooms are nicer, it's closer to Eastsound, and the owners interact with the guests and prepare a five-course breakfast every morning -- but it's more expensive. The Deer Harbor Inn is a good value, and I recommend it if you're looking for a no-frills retreat and don't want to mingle with the owners and your fellow guests.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Puyallup, Washington
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Very low key stay and a bit funky... this is Island atmosphere. My wife and I went there with a Travelzoo deal for a low key relaxing time to celebrate her birthday. The building is historic but rooms are nicely renovated. The rest of the grounds are unpretentious but well maintained. We loved the home made granola in our picnic basket. The restaraunt was a little on the expensive side, but is very nice with the best dinner we have had in many years... the chef is great. When visiting Orcas on our next trip, we will definitely eat dinner here.
This NOT a lavish place, but a funky old historic lodge... but clean and quaint

Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I thought I bought a special two night stay at the Deer Harbor Resort, a place I have always wanted to try. But when we drove out to Deer Harbor and saw signs pointing to 'Deer Harbor Inn' and 'Deer Harbor Resort' we started to get a bad feeling. Yes, I had made a reservation through Travelzoo for a two-for-one night stay. But at the wrong place. We thought, 'how bad can it be? Its half price'.
We were booked into a room in the 'lodge'. There was a tiny sitting area, and our room was down a tiny hallway past a washer and dryer, and cleaning supplies. The room was tiny. And when I sat on the log bed, it swayed and creaked so loudly I was alarmed! There were two windows looking out over an open area, but the window coverings didn't really cover the windows completely. Over the course of the evening two other couples arrived into the lodge. The first was placed in the room directily next to us and we could hear their voices, tv and squeeky bed. But at about 10 pm, another couple occupied the room directly above us. We could hear their voices, pounding footsteps, creaky bed, opening drawers, until about 1 am. I have never been in a building, let alone a 'hotel' that was so noisy! There was no insulation at all between rooms.
What with the pounding from upstairs ( I'm sure these people had no idea) to the squeeky bed, to the people next door, to the inability to screen out the sun in the morning; we didn't sleep a wink. I felt especially bad as we had eaten dinner in their restaurant the night before, and although it was ok, my allergy to dairy products clearly flummoxed them. I had to deal with an allergic reaction too.
But it wasn't over. At 8:00am, the maids arrived. Clearly the 'lodge' was the their center of operations. They started doing laundry, right outside our door, and gathering up their cleaning supplies, and basically embarking upon their work day. I felt as though I had rented a room in a laundromat.
The advertisement told us they had a 'jacuzzi'. This was an tiny old hot tub in the parking lot. There was no way we could have used it and had any privacy.
This place was amazingly terrible. It is hard for me to believe anyone who believes themselves to be hospitality industry professionals could run an operation like this.
For example, there were at least six open rooms in the 'lodge' when the other couples arrived. Why did they place all of us as close together as possible? There was no thought to our privacy or our needs.
This was literally the worst hotel I have ever stayed in, and I've travelled in China, for gods sake.

Room Tip: don't bother
8 Thank susan w
dhinn, Owner at Deer Harbor Inn, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
We are truely sorry the guest had such a bad experience at our Inn.The guest obviously thought they were staying at a different resort and had bad expectations to start with. We try very hard to provide our guest a charming and peaceful experience on Orcas.The guest checked in early and the housekeepers were still doing laundry. We have also advised the cleaners not to start cleaning until later in the morning.We wish we could have spoken to the guest and delt with the problems then but they checked out early without a word to us. We could have easily moved them to a more peaceful room if we would have known. The walls are well insulated and curtains do cover all the window area. As far as the rooms being tiny, they are large enough to have a fireplace and mantle,table and chairs, nightstands and dresser and are accurately discribed and pictured an our web site
Forest Grove, Oregon
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We found the Deer Harbor Inn through a Groupon deal and stayed in the lodge. The room was very clean and comfortable and the grounds were well kept. It very relaxing and quiet. Some have mentioned that there was a lack of hospitality, but they would come in and replace the breakfast items and any other items that needed to be replaced every day while we were out. No meet and greet needed here. The only thing I would of liked would have been access to a grill. When I asked the grounds person if there was a grill on site, for people staying in the lodge, he said no but you are welcome to use my personal one. So we grilled up a couple steaks on his hibachi. That was pretty cool. Over all very pleasurable and would recommend the Deer Harbor Inn especially with the Groupon or Living Social deal. One other great thing, it was right up the road from Deer Harbor Marina where we chartered a whale watching excursion with Deer Harbor Charter.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 6 which overlooked the property and had a view of the harbor through the trees.
Seattle
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Unfortunately I didn't do as much research of the island as I should of. If you want to completely get out of dodge then you should stay here, there is nothing and it's very very quiet. When we got to the place we kinda wondered around looking for a person, when we found the office no one was there just a bag with our name on it with a key and a map of the island. We happened by chance to run into someone who was like "room 5 is upstairs, there is a hot tub, enjoy" errrr ok? The house portion needs to be updated, it looks pretty old and there was a bunch of bulk tea/cups and random stuff that was out, which made it look tacky. It's like come on guys, put it away and label where its at. The room was nice it was comfy and rustic, the best thing about this place was the bed, probably the most comfy bed I've had. There was a lil picnic basket with our breakfast in it and that was really nice, homemade granola, banana's, coffee, orange juice, english muffin and hard boiled egg. That was great, but the comfy bed and nice breakfast wasn't enough to make up for the whooping price tag and the lack of hospitality. But hey if you don't want to see or talk to anyone and be completely left alone, this place is for you. Not my preference. My husband and I did the whale watching trip out of Deer Harbor and figured we should stay in Deer Harbor make things easier, well Deer Harbor isn't really a "town" there are two places to stay and one restaurant which is behind the inn. You can stay almost pretty much anywhere on the island, everything is 15 minutes away. We ended up driving to Rosario to have dinner at the Mansion Restaurant because I read reviews that the Deer Harbor Inn restaurant was way too over priced which it was. I would say do some more research, if you want to be in a town go to Rosario or Eastsound you can probably stay next to the water for what we paid here with no view. It's a cute relaxing quiet place, just not for me. I enjoy the great hospitality when I go on a trip.

Room Tip: I would stay upstairs. It's a old creaky house.
dhinn, Owner at Deer Harbor Inn, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for the valuable comments about the Deer Harbor Inn. It is true that the Deer Harbor Inn is in a small hamlet without much of a town but we feel the is the charm of the Inn. Our rural location is close to whale watching,kayaking and sailing. We try to be in the office when ferries arrive and am sorry we did not get a chance to meet you both. As far as being an old ,creaky house, the log lodge was built in 1986
Clackamas, Oregon
Reviewed May 7, 2013

With 'inn' in the name, I expected a little more. The rooms in lodge are what you see. No complaints there. I was disappointed with the lack of hospitality. I am a visitor that likes to see the owner and be greeted with a face. The person to person interaction really makes a place what it is. I adored the quietness of the area and would love to see the San Juans again, but I won't be visiting Deer Harbor Inn again. I am glad we used a Living Social deal, paying full price would have been a downer. Plus, check your coffee pot before making hot water for tea!

1 Thank Emilie M
#9 of 10 in Friday Harbor
Edenwild Boutique Inn
Edenwild Boutique Inn
#1 of 2 in Lopez Island

Been to Deer Harbor Inn? Share your experiences!