“Make This A Destination!”

Monteillet Fromagerie - Day Course
Reviewed May 15, 2014

This time of year, the ride from Walla Walla to the Fromagerie is a breath-taking trip through the golden foothills of the Blue Mountains. Cattle dot the landscape; wheat fields are in all stages of green and golden; and farmhouses are tucked in shaded canyons as well as in plain sight along the curving highway. It’s a lovely drive.

I was introduced to the Monteillet Fromagerie at the Saturday Portland Farmers’ Market years ago. That’s where I met cheesemaker Pierre-Louis Monteillet and had the chance, week after week, to taste a variety of his fresh, hand-ladled goat- and sheep-milk cheeses. Monteillet is a friendly, generous man who is eager to share his knowledge and his cheeses. For someone new to the world of artisanal chevres (goat) and brebis (sheep) cheeses, his lessons are delectable. (Trust me, you won’t be able to resist the subtle, nutty flavor of his Larzac, a soft ripened goat cheese that’s divided in half by a line of grapeleaf ash.)

From his Web site (www.monteilletcheese.com), I learned that besides the spotless cheese-making building, quaint tasting room and menagerie of free-range chickens, goats, sheep, pigs and six, white Great Pyrenees dogs, who guard and live alongside the dairy flocks, there is even lodging on the 31-acre farmstead. It’s a three-bedroom house with a fully equipped kitchen, including fresh milk and farmstead eggs (Sign me up!).

PS: AND THIS IS IMPORTANT. DON'T BE AFRAID TO DRIVE HERE, EVEN IF YOU THINK THE TASTING ROOM IS CLOSED. JOAN IS ALWAYS THERE, MAKING CHEESE AND WELCOMES YOU WITH OPEN ARMS!!!

1  Thank SWriter
There are newer reviews for Monteillet Fromagerie - Day Course

Reviewed April 24, 2014

You must make a stop at the Monteillet Fromagerie if you are on a quest to know where your food comes from and need a break from the non-stop wine tasting (although you can have some here too). The cheese is outstanding and Joan is obviously passionate about her cheese, animals and place. I am so excited to have met her and find such a wonderful clean source of goat/sheep cheese which I can eat. We had such a terrific conversation about clean food and she was so accommodating even though she had lots of work left to do. We bought several cheeses, lamb chops, and spare ribs. I might have to come back and stay in one of their cottages next time.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

On our wine tour of Eastern Washington it wasn't just the wine that rose to the top.... it was the cheese! The effervescent Joan and her handsome frenchie Pierre-Louis are a most phenomenal couple. Looking for a place to stay on our tour to the Walla Walla wine Country we stumbled onto the offering of a La Maison..... an adorable cottage in Walla Walla just a walk away from down town. We discovered that the owners are cheese makers extrodinaire and drove to Dayton for the cheese tasting experience. What Fun, and what a palate delight! Next time we will plan to stay at The Gite for a farm stay and the 2 day cheese making class!

1  Thank Beachbarbpv
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Have heard nothing but good things about this place and was definitely not disappointed! I moved to walla walla about 9 months ago and finally made it out to Monteillet when my sister and friend came out to visit for the first time. My sister LOVES cheese but is lactose intolerant and cannot consume cow cheeses. Luckily, she can eat sheep and goats milk cheeses, so she was ecstatic to come here and actually be able to taste each and every cheese served! We showed up just after opening, probably around 12:20 (opening is at noon), and Joan was just coming in and setting up. She's a very eclectic woman with a fun personality and very positive energy, though she was slightly discombobulated. Probably just from running a little behind. We sat at the tasting bar, inside the rather small tasting room, and happily waited for her to get ready. There were the 3 of us girls and another couple who came in about the same time that we did. The 5 of us fit at the tasting bar perfectly. There is another area of seating along the wall, but it is separate from where we were sitting and noticed a very different experience to those who came in later and could not sit up at the bar we were at, being directly in front of Joan. We got taken through the tasting, cheese by cheese, with explanation of how each are made, freshly sliced delicious apples, and a variety of herbs to sprinkle on our first cheese (to compare with or without bc it is a very mild cheese). Progressively, the cheeses do get stronger. We were invited to taste as much as we wanted of any of the cheeses. We also had wine with our tasting and she was generous with our pours. The tasting is $10 and $5 addt for each glass of wine. The people sitting at the bar opposite of us, simply got plates with each cheese on them and the plate handed to them. Not the same explanation and experience I felt we received sitting with Joan. Something I will definitely remember when bringing other people there in the future. We bought cheese to take home, and no, the tasting fee is not refunded with purchase, but I didn't expect it to be. My mother in law is coming into town in a coupe of weeks to visit, and I will definitely be taking her to Monteillet!

Reviewed October 7, 2013

My husband and I traveled from Sequim to Prosser for a weeks stay in Washington Wine Country. For months I have talked about going to Monteillet Fromagerie in Dayton to see the farm and experience the wine and cheese. Joan was away for the afternoon but Pierre-Louis graciously showed us the farm, the day-to-day operation and then joined us in a wonderful conversation while serving us wine and cheese. Joan and Pierre-Louis work hard to earn a living doing what they love and it shows. Artisan cheese is expensive and you get what you pay for. The cheese was outstanding; every one of them. Next time we'll stay in their rental. This was a fabulous experience.