“Wonderful cheese experience!!!”

Monteillet Fromagerie - Day Course
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Have heard nothing but good things about this place and was definitely not disappointed! I moved to walla walla about 9 months ago and finally made it out to Monteillet when my sister and friend came out to visit for the first time. My sister LOVES cheese but is lactose intolerant and cannot consume cow cheeses. Luckily, she can eat sheep and goats milk cheeses, so she was ecstatic to come here and actually be able to taste each and every cheese served! We showed up just after opening, probably around 12:20 (opening is at noon), and Joan was just coming in and setting up. She's a very eclectic woman with a fun personality and very positive energy, though she was slightly discombobulated. Probably just from running a little behind. We sat at the tasting bar, inside the rather small tasting room, and happily waited for her to get ready. There were the 3 of us girls and another couple who came in about the same time that we did. The 5 of us fit at the tasting bar perfectly. There is another area of seating along the wall, but it is separate from where we were sitting and noticed a very different experience to those who came in later and could not sit up at the bar we were at, being directly in front of Joan. We got taken through the tasting, cheese by cheese, with explanation of how each are made, freshly sliced delicious apples, and a variety of herbs to sprinkle on our first cheese (to compare with or without bc it is a very mild cheese). Progressively, the cheeses do get stronger. We were invited to taste as much as we wanted of any of the cheeses. We also had wine with our tasting and she was generous with our pours. The tasting is $10 and $5 addt for each glass of wine. The people sitting at the bar opposite of us, simply got plates with each cheese on them and the plate handed to them. Not the same explanation and experience I felt we received sitting with Joan. Something I will definitely remember when bringing other people there in the future. We bought cheese to take home, and no, the tasting fee is not refunded with purchase, but I didn't expect it to be. My mother in law is coming into town in a coupe of weeks to visit, and I will definitely be taking her to Monteillet!

Reviewed October 7, 2013

My husband and I traveled from Sequim to Prosser for a weeks stay in Washington Wine Country. For months I have talked about going to Monteillet Fromagerie in Dayton to see the farm and experience the wine and cheese. Joan was away for the afternoon but Pierre-Louis graciously showed us the farm, the day-to-day operation and then joined us in a wonderful conversation while serving us wine and cheese. Joan and Pierre-Louis work hard to earn a living doing what they love and it shows. Artisan cheese is expensive and you get what you pay for. The cheese was outstanding; every one of them. Next time we'll stay in their rental. This was a fabulous experience.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

My family loves goat cheese and really looked forward to including this stop in our vacation plans. I called 3 weeks ahead to arrange our visit and was told to call a week before, which I did and set a time with Joan. I called Joan again 1/2 hour ahead of our arrivial but, when we drove in no one was there. We waited outside for 45 minutes before calling again. A man explained that he did not know we were coming, his wife was in town and that they were very busy people! He rushed to open his store but he would not even offer us a paid tasting. My grandchildren did not get to see the goats or the sheep and he seemed thouroughly bothered by our coming! We wasted a half day of our precious vacation time on this trap.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

We paid $20 ($10 per person) for the cheese tasting and then purchased some cheese that we liked. The "tastings" covered 6 different cheeses of increasing potency, but the portions were very small -- somewhere between a crumb and a small sliver. A couple of the cheeses were excellent; but others were not that special. The tasting fee was not applied to the price of our purchase. The cheese is good but it can be purchased at the weekend Walla Walla Farmers Market without paying the exorbitant initiation fee. Do not drive the 70 miles round trip from Walla Walla to visit this place.

2  Thank SenorGregorio
See more reviews
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We tried to book a few nights at the Gite but it was already reserved. So we stopped by just to say "Hi" since our kids love the farm so much. Joan and Pierre-Louis graciously allowed us to look around and showed us what was going on at the farm. The baby goats were being weaned as they were almost 3 months old, and the baby sheep were also fun to watch. Inside their farmhouse they were beginning to make cheese as they were pressing the whey out of the curds.

We definitely intend to come again for a few nights at the Gite. Joan and Pierre-Louis practice a simpler way of life than most of us are used to, and they run their farm sustainably and clearly with a love of what they do!