“difficult to rate”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cougar
Portland OR
“difficult to rate”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

On the plus side, the rooms are very large, they are clean and there's zero mold in the bathrooms, the mattresses are better than average and the setting is magnificent. So why rate it a 3 out of 5? Well there's no way to give a motel like this a 5 star, so its max is a 4. It gets a 3 because the carpets needed replacing 10 years ago and it hasn't been updated since who knows how long (decades). I'd definitely stay here again, but its just not fair to give it a 4/very good. But I feel bad about giving it a 3 because we all slept beautifully. I rated the fitness center 5 star because of its proximity to outstanding outdoor activity - it would be silly to put in treadmills here lol.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the bigger rooms. Hey it might be only $10 more big deal right?
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank leaning

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Paris, France
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Went and stayed in cabin 10 it was clean with a full kitchen. bunkbeds and a queen size bed. Location was great near Mt St Helens, the price was right were it should be. Stayed there on the 4th it got pretty crazy ! I had an awesome time with two amazing people and will never forget it! Thanks for the memories

• Stayed July 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed two nights in a queen bed room. The room was fair sized, had a microwave, coffee pot and fridge along with a small tv with a half dozen stations. For the $72 a night price it was exactly what we were looking for since we were here to climb Saint Helens not relax at a resort. This is not a place you hang around all day. I think there are new owners and most of the bad comments go back to the previous ownership. The grounds were very well kept for this type of place and our room was fairly clean altough a thourough dusting would go a long ways. There are no phones or phone service in the area but they do have free wifi. The restaurant is not open Mon - Wed. so the bar down the street is the only food option outside the small grocery. Lots of climbers/hikers heading up Helens stay here so expect commotion in the early morning. Lone Fir was perfect for what we were looking for, the service was friendly and we had a positive experience. Just remember your in the sticks.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tony S
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Recently I purchased my first Travel Trailer. Our first "Shake Down" trip was to the Lone Fir Resort. The owners and staff were very friendly and helpful. They went out of their way to make this experience a wonderful introduction to the RVing lifestyle. The facility was in a great location, and nicely maintained. I would HIGHLY recommend staying there and am already looking forward to our next trip there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Stayed here with a friend for two nights for my second climb up MSH. Had considered staying here in 2009 but was scared off by the atrocious reviews at that time. Thought I would give this place a try after reading more recent reviews since the change in ownership. I was happily surprised/relieved to find nothing to complain about here. We were looking for inexpensive accommodation as close to the trail head as possible. For $70 a night, we had a fairly small room but two decent beds and a decent bathroom. No complaints about cleanliness. Ate a couple meals at the cafe and they were pretty good too. If I ever lose my sanity and decide to climb MSH yet again, I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank WestcoastMom
Sammamish
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Stayed two nights at the Lone Fir Resort for Mt St Helens climb. Room was for 5 people. We took our Labrador dog. The owners were very welcoming and accomodating. The rooms were clean and had everything you needed for self catering. The lodge cafe served a great breakfast with the biggest pancakes my daughter had ever seen. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. Was great to find a pet friendly resort in such a bueatiful location. Looking forward to staying here next year for another climb

Room Tip: We stayed in room 4A
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank GrahamSammamish
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I booked this reservation with very modest expectations; I just needed a place to stay for two nights surrounding our climb of St. Helens. When we checked in, I found the rooms to be much nicer than expected, and the staff was local, genuine, and very nice. We had a great breakfast at the restaurant, and the Mancake pancakes are highly recommended if you are hungry. If you're insanely hungry, try a Sasquatch pancake.

I will be planning another trip to Cougar, to explore the area, and you can be sure I'll stay at the Lone Fir.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cougar
Best Western Plus Battle Ground Inn & Suites
Best Western Woodland Inn
Lewis River Inn
Lewis River Inn
#1 of 3 in Woodland

Been to Lone Fir Resort? Share your experiences!