“The Perfect Cougar Accommodations!”
Review of Lone Fir Resort

Lone Fir Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cougar
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I booked this reservation with very modest expectations; I just needed a place to stay for two nights surrounding our climb of St. Helens. When we checked in, I found the rooms to be much nicer than expected, and the staff was local, genuine, and very nice. We had a great breakfast at the restaurant, and the Mancake pancakes are highly recommended if you are hungry. If you're insanely hungry, try a Sasquatch pancake.

I will be planning another trip to Cougar, to explore the area, and you can be sure I'll stay at the Lone Fir.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stayed here the night before we hiked mt saint Helen's. It's a perfect location if you don't want to camp at climbers bivouac. We stayed in 4E; it was really noisy with the people upstairs going in and out at night and then we heard them again at 4am. I wouldn't recommend that room If you want any sleep. The room was super cute but the microwave and the fridge were in the bathroom so that was kind of strange. The owners are very friendly and I heard the cafe is awesome. We didn't have time to try.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the bottom floor of the two story building.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ponywal
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed in Cougar to hike the Ape Caves and to visit some waterfalls and since I'm not the camping type we stayed at the Lone Fir Resort Motel (unit 9B). The room was spacious and nicely furnished with extremely comfortable beds and a table and several chairs. The bathroom was small, but functional and very clean. The room was very clean, too, although the upholstered chairs could do with some shampooing. It's not a fancy place, but good for staying for a few days while hiking in the area (which is really worthwhile). When we stayed there (end of July) it was very hot and the unit doesn't have air conditioning. I'm very heat sensitive and would have loved to have just a small window air conditioning unit. But it cools off nicely during the night, so it wasn't a really big problem. While we stayed there it was very quiet and wonderfully relaxing. The Cafe which is part of the resort, serves basics like pizza, hamburgers etc. and while not gourmet food it's very decent. Breakfast at the Cafe was very good.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank soccermom415
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed here before hiking and loved it. Wished we would have reserved it for more days but it was full. Our room was comfortable and very clean with log furniture and a comfy bed. The property is full of rustic character, combines a range of room types (think cabin-ish) with a campground (best for RVs), a small pool, a little store, and a very small restaurant mostly for guests. It is THE spot to stop for a permit to summit Mt. St. Helens. We encountered two large family reunions and we immediately wanted to plan the same. 5 Stars does not equate to a 5 star city hotel, but it is definitely a 5 star, small town, mountain stay destination in my book.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2012

My husband is working up here in the Cougar area and I did drive everyday from Longview, but it got to be a bit much for me. We booked a room in the hotel for a week, so it did double duty...it cut down on my drive time and it is also my birthday vacation. I was able to check in very early in the morning and when I unlocked the door, I was blown away by the log bed, bunkbeds and cabin decor. I LOVE IT! The bathrooms are huge. The mini fridge is not so mini and was able to easily fit my week's worth of groceries that I brought from home. We had dinner the first night in the cafe and the crab bisque was to-die-for. Food is pretty important to me as I am a food writer. I don't believe I ever had a better burger, either! I highly recommend the cafe for dinner and we even sent a tip back for the cook. The hotel is dog friendly, and that is super important for us as we travel with 2 big dogs. For the rate, I was really expecting a dive hotel, the type we usually wind up with at the beach, but this is off the charts awesome. Housekeeping came around every single day and if you don't want to be bugged, they are really cool about that. We didn't hear them, at all, performing their duties. Rustic isn't everyone's cuppa tea, but it's right up my alley and we will most definitely be back again and again when we want to get away. Thanks for a great stay!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 4D, but there is a cabin, 2, that looks really nice and it looks like it has a kit...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 14, 2012

We stayed here before climbing the mountain on the Monitor Ridge Route (20 min drive to the trailhead; also you pick up your permit and sign the climber's register here anyway). Found the bed very comfy (VERY important for me), the room cozy and convenient (with microwave and mini-fridge) and that it has wifi that works. (We had a hotel type room and did not look at the cabins.) The price was reasonable and the people helpful. Would stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KarenGH
Reviewed July 13, 2012

The room we had (4b) was large and spacious with two rooms, the second room had a two story bed for the kids and another single so it rooms 5. The restaurant was very good though not included in the room rate. overall very good.

One thing to keep in mind is that this is suitable for hikers more than people that want to go to the north side. the entrance from the highway to castle rock which is the north side entrance is an hour's worth of driving.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank obensha
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cougar
Best Western Plus Battle Ground Inn & Suites
20 mi away
Beak and Bloom
Beak and Bloom
#1 of 1 in Battle Ground

Been to Lone Fir Resort? Share your experiences!