“Pleasantly Rustic”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cougar
Spokane, Washington
“Pleasantly Rustic”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed in Cougar to hike the Ape Caves and to visit some waterfalls and since I'm not the camping type we stayed at the Lone Fir Resort Motel (unit 9B). The room was spacious and nicely furnished with extremely comfortable beds and a table and several chairs. The bathroom was small, but functional and very clean. The room was very clean, too, although the upholstered chairs could do with some shampooing. It's not a fancy place, but good for staying for a few days while hiking in the area (which is really worthwhile). When we stayed there (end of July) it was very hot and the unit doesn't have air conditioning. I'm very heat sensitive and would have loved to have just a small window air conditioning unit. But it cools off nicely during the night, so it wasn't a really big problem. While we stayed there it was very quiet and wonderfully relaxing. The Cafe which is part of the resort, serves basics like pizza, hamburgers etc. and while not gourmet food it's very decent. Breakfast at the Cafe was very good.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank soccermom415

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Woodinville, Washington, United States
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed here before hiking and loved it. Wished we would have reserved it for more days but it was full. Our room was comfortable and very clean with log furniture and a comfy bed. The property is full of rustic character, combines a range of room types (think cabin-ish) with a campground (best for RVs), a small pool, a little store, and a very small restaurant mostly for guests. It is THE spot to stop for a permit to summit Mt. St. Helens. We encountered two large family reunions and we immediately wanted to plan the same. 5 Stars does not equate to a 5 star city hotel, but it is definitely a 5 star, small town, mountain stay destination in my book.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Woodland, Washington
Reviewed July 18, 2012

My husband is working up here in the Cougar area and I did drive everyday from Longview, but it got to be a bit much for me. We booked a room in the hotel for a week, so it did double duty...it cut down on my drive time and it is also my birthday vacation. I was able to check in very early in the morning and when I unlocked the door, I was blown away by the log bed, bunkbeds and cabin decor. I LOVE IT! The bathrooms are huge. The mini fridge is not so mini and was able to easily fit my week's worth of groceries that I brought from home. We had dinner the first night in the cafe and the crab bisque was to-die-for. Food is pretty important to me as I am a food writer. I don't believe I ever had a better burger, either! I highly recommend the cafe for dinner and we even sent a tip back for the cook. The hotel is dog friendly, and that is super important for us as we travel with 2 big dogs. For the rate, I was really expecting a dive hotel, the type we usually wind up with at the beach, but this is off the charts awesome. Housekeeping came around every single day and if you don't want to be bugged, they are really cool about that. We didn't hear them, at all, performing their duties. Rustic isn't everyone's cuppa tea, but it's right up my alley and we will most definitely be back again and again when we want to get away. Thanks for a great stay!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 4D, but there is a cabin, 2, that looks really nice and it looks like it has a kit...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Eugene OR
Reviewed July 14, 2012

We stayed here before climbing the mountain on the Monitor Ridge Route (20 min drive to the trailhead; also you pick up your permit and sign the climber's register here anyway). Found the bed very comfy (VERY important for me), the room cozy and convenient (with microwave and mini-fridge) and that it has wifi that works. (We had a hotel type room and did not look at the cabins.) The price was reasonable and the people helpful. Would stay here again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KarenGH
Rishon Lezion, Israel
Reviewed July 13, 2012

The room we had (4b) was large and spacious with two rooms, the second room had a two story bed for the kids and another single so it rooms 5. The restaurant was very good though not included in the room rate. overall very good.

One thing to keep in mind is that this is suitable for hikers more than people that want to go to the north side. the entrance from the highway to castle rock which is the north side entrance is an hour's worth of driving.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank obensha
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Owners Beth and Howard were super accomodating to work with us and our group of 18. Perfect place to stay after our Helens climb. Very helpful with current climbing info and assisting with permit transfer of our extra permits. Would recommend to anyone as a good base camp for summit bids if you want more amenities than the bivuoac.

• Stayed July 2012
Richland, Washington
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We decided to stay here rather than camp in cold spring rain during a Mt. St. Helens climbing trip. We picked it in part due to decent recent reviews and it is the place where you pick up climbing permits.

The suite was large with comfortable beds and a full kitchen. There was plenty of room for 7 of us to spread out and have our own space. The hot water never ran short, this was very important after 6 hours on the south side trail in 38 degree rain.

The resort is a great value. For the 7 of us the nightly rate was $125 or $18 each. The cafe also offers good value. After getting back from MSH we had two huge pizzas, a pitcher of beer, and several soft drinks for a total of about $55. We made the pizzas last for lunch, dinner, and breakfast despite half our group being college age kids.

The place is not fancy and some might call it fairly Spartan. It is a real step above a skiing/hunting getaway cabin. As a home base for MSH it's hard to beat its combination of good value and convenience. In particular, it's a good fit for a group of teenagers/college age kids. For the money it's a great deal and I'm certainly going to stay there again when running around on the mountain.

Room Tip: Ask about the furniture. Our room only had rustic hard fir chairs and after several hours we REALLY...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cougar
Best Western Plus Battle Ground Inn & Suites
Best Western Woodland Inn
Lewis River Inn
Lewis River Inn
#1 of 3 in Woodland

Been to Lone Fir Resort? Share your experiences!