“I have spent the past 35 years experiencing the CNF”

Reviewed November 3, 2013

As a young boy I was introduced to the Colville National Forest. I have spent a great deal of my time off ( at least 2 weeks a year , every year ) out and about on this forest.
Sadly over the past 2 decades this forest has fallen victim to what so many other forests have. It has been systematically closed down section by section in the name of one endangered species or another. There are more places closed and gated to the public in todays forest than there are open. It started with the Grizzly Bear... then the Caribou... then the Lynx.... then the Bull Trout... I am sure there are a pleathera of other critters that could make the list ... and truth be known I have seen each of these species outside the confines of their gated areas. Evidently they are unable to read the posted signs.
My Grandfather was in the CCC's ( Civilian Conservation Corps ) in the 1930's at Camp Sullivan Lake. He helped plant trees and build lookout towers... I remember him in his later years before he passed on lowering his head and getting teary eyed when he heard of the closures... To him it meant that he would be unable to visit places that he cherished in his youth.
Some will find the closures inviting... to this I say good for you !! I personally find this just another form of Government mis-management . If you visit this forest look very hard... and I believe you will see. Our forest is easier to manage by locking us out than by actually interacting with the public. The Colville National Forest is beautiful.. the people in charge of it are not !!

1  Thank YukonATVer

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Wonderful scenery. Great photo opportunities for landscape and wildlife. Walking and hiking trails abound. Secluded byways offer scenic vistas.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

We have been rving in these forests for many years now. All the money raised, goes back into the campgrounds! Love it .

Reviewed May 28, 2012

We visited the little cabin and chapel that the Black Robes said mass in. Very beautiful and peaceful setting with some history to boot.

Reviewed March 13, 2012

Even when I didn't live in colville my family has been camping at Lake Ellen for YEARS! Located in the Colville National Forest! So exciting. Fishing Swimming Hiking breathtaking views so peaceful and calm it is lovely!

2  Thank 158Jessica

Been to Colville National Forest? Share your experiences!