“Stunning views, great golf, beautiful accomodations at Suncadia”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Suncadia Resort

Suncadia Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Cle Elum
Yakima, Washington
“Stunning views, great golf, beautiful accomodations at Suncadia”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2010

In the past few years, my husband and I have stayed at the inn and the lodge, and loved the spacious, high-quality accomodations at both locations. In fact, we liked everything so much that we recently decided to rent one of the large vacation homes for a family reunion at Suncadia. That proved to be a great decision and everyone enjoyed our well-equiped home with its casually elegant interior and huge patio overlooking the golf course.
Family members spent five, warm July days lounging, golfing, biking, and playing at the park and at the pool and waterslides (which was a great deal for $20.00 a day for the entire household!) We thought the food and service was fine at the pool snackbar, but fairly expensive. The same held true for food and drink in the lodge lounge. In general, all of the staff members that we came in contact with were friendly and helpful. Overall, we rate this resort as outstanding and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2010

I have lived in WA my whole life and spend most of my time on the Westside of the Mountains or out of state.

I had a off-site meeting at Suncadia and drove the 90 mins from Seattle to the resort. The website is lacking (it did not show that it had wifi; only wired). I found out only later through the in-room hotel amenities book that it was wireless as well. I didn't bother to try as I did not see any information anywhere on open wifi.

I did not pay for my room (as it was covered under the conference being held) so I can't speak to the price but I imagine it was not cheap.

Check-in wasn't until 4pm but I was able to get early check-in which I appreciated.

My room was beautiful and likely a timeshare when not being used as a hotel room. It was like a mini-apartment with a fully-stocked cupboard complete with breakfast bar, dishwasher and washer & dryer.

The room opened into a large patio with two entry doors (living room & off bedroom).

I travel frequently with a 70/30 split for pleasure/business. The one area I often rate hotels are in the bathroom. If you claim to be a 5-star (which Suncadia does) then you need to have a nice bathroom.

I walked in and turned on the lights to find a LARGE bathroom (I can't recall one so large in the last year I've been traveling all over the US). The sink & tub were both Kohler's and the tub was sunken and had a special fast fill as well as a drain which was hidden by a handle. This was unique and what's great is that you can have TWO people sit on either end and no one has to sit a) against the water nozzle or b) with the drain on their bottom. I took a bath of course and it was great! The free-standing shower was also nice - oversized showerhead and decent water pressure.

The downsides -

If you've ever been to Eastern WA, Cle Elum is a little in the middle of nowhere. There is no (or very limited) cell reception. The signage leading into the lodge to check-in was limited. They are currently building condos & adding onto the resort (it is 1200 acres). It is pretty easy to get turned around and there was no sign directing you back to the main road to get to the hotel. I spent a good 30 mins getting lost until I found my way back.

The room was beautiful but the patio doors were left open (unsure if just that day or overnight) but several different bugs got into the room (when I closed the door they became apparent). I am deathly allergic to mosquitoes and so had a challenging time.

Wifi is free and open but not listed anywhere (in room or in lobby or on website). Having traveled often, I don't assume every hotel or resort has free wifi as most either have a 'pay' rate or it is not consistent.

Overall, it was a great place to bring your family and kids to. There are many trails and local things to do as long as events they 'sponsor' each day (biking, swimming, etc).

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2010

Here for business but brought my husband and dogs. I thought it was absolutely beautiful inside and out. The reason I gave this place a 4 is because of a similar complaint as others. The wait staff in Portals restaurant does not seem up to par for this place. Reading the specials, dirty shirt. My husband thought the prices were high, but I was ok with it and my food was delicious. The bartender gave me a wine taste test and introduced me to 3 wines that I absolutely think are the best I have had. That was great service in my mind. Overall, I love this place and could see myself utilizing more of the amenities that I wasn't able to this time. Big time family friendly and the fact that there were so many dogs there enjoying themselves leads me to believe the owners are dog lovers too, and I am completely sold on that alone!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
seattle
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2010

Love the location and feel of this hotel. The pools are great and the trials and playgounds are amazing. The bell men were courteous and totally interacted with my 3 year old. But the rest of the service was disappointing. Ordered one of the room service pizzas which is a great idea but they only price them with sodas. As we do not drink soda I wanted to know the price without so the girl on the phone told me a price without. I got a call not a min later and her manger told me she misquoted me and I owed them $2 more with a very accusing tone.. really.. you can't just eat the cost. What happened to customer service? Aslo, I ordered take out from the Portals restaurant and they totally botch our order with two hungry children I did not have the time not energy to go back down and complain. I travel a lot for work and I would never have this issue in a NYC or LA hotel. Also, my wife left her dress in the hotel room and when we called to see if by chance they had it in Lost and Found they told they would look and call back.. We never got a call back after I called two more times to check. When I final approached them in person they were very unsympathetic and told me they could not find it. I asked if the service people may have taken it and she said yes! I stayed here once before and loved it and recommend that my friends stay there.. I would like to revoke my recommendation. The whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth.

Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank apefire
Wa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2010

The place & the location are amazing, the customer service not so much. After we'd signed for the room, we were then informed of a $20 "service fee" for using all their facilities. They have a water slide we were looking forward to using, but when we got there it was closed for the day (only open 1-5pm). The steam room - so sorry - was out of service. The pool closes early (8pm). Little things like no tea (we don't drink coffee), no continental breakfast, couldn't find a pen to write with. Too expensive for what you get. Everything is extra. It's all about them., not you.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank pmcquill
Kent, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2010

We stayed in the Inn. The Air Conditioner wasn't on and the room was hot (90 degrees) when we arrived. We couldn't get it to start. Staff said they'd check on it. So we went to dinner at the Lodge while they worked on it. The restaurant told us a dinner would be ready in 15 minutes. We waited 45 minutes and were then told they couldn't get us in. By then, the Inn restaurant had closed, we were starving and drove to cle elum to get fast food. So much for a romantic dinner. When we returned, the room was no cooler. They sent another person to try and get the AC going, but after another hour (no around 11:30 pm), no luck. They claimed no other rooms available, not even in the Lodge. There is no way that was true given the number of cars there, but that's what they said. They recommended we open the patio door to cool off (despite being in the upper 90's that day, and still hot even that late at night). They didn't offer fans or anything else to help us cool off.. Of course, early the next morning we awoke to golfers preparing to t-off early that morning. Our package was to include breakfast. Instead, we were charged for breakfast. When we checked out, I had to provide our reservation to show that we had purchased the package to include breakfast, even though their check out documents showed the package and was charging us that rate! No apology was given for the non-working AC, no discount given, not even an apology even after I mentioned how hot it was without the AC working. The comment was something like "Must of been hot". No kidding. Because of that, I figured the check out person didn't care. So, I wrote a letter regarding our horrible experience and left it when checking out. I never heard back. So, a week later, I sent a comment repeating our horrible experience through the website. Again, no response. I've never complained regarding a stay before. This was a miserable night for my wife and I. Had the staff made even a remote attempt to apologize or make the stay more pleasant, it would have been much appreciated. Instead, they simply ignored us. We will never go back. We tell anyone who asks about Suncadia to stay away. Maybe it had to do with being our 13th Anniversary!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
8 Thank pmhanis
Costa Mesa, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2010

Loved this resort, it's located in the middle of the forest and has amazing views.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
#2 of 11 in Ellensburg
Cle Elum Travelers Inn
Cle Elum Travelers Inn
#7 of 7 in Cle Elum

Been to Suncadia Resort? Share your experiences!