“Bad experience” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Cle Elum
Washington
“Bad experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2009

I will preface my review with I really really wanted to like Suncadia. I have many friends that rent houses and have stayed at this resort in the past year. They all rave about this resort. We decided to stay for the Thanksgiving holiday. On first impressions, the grounds, buildings, lobby and our suite were very nice. We stayed in a one bedroom spa suite. What made this a spa suite was we had our own private outdoor jacuzzi tub on the private deck area of our room. The room was very spacious, tastefully decorated and really have no complaints here. The room was what was expected and was correctly represented from all other reviewers and photos avail. What WAS a problem was the jacuzzi was broken, and we had to call maintenance 3 times during our 4 day holiday to come fix it. Which finally led us to having to speak to the hotel manager, after which it was finally fixed and started working properly.
Regarding the food at the resort. It was nothing special or spectacular. The views from the lobby and dining rooms were wonderful but the food that was served is on par with large convention hotel food. Although the food was edible, it was bland and uncreative. Service in all sectors, from the bellman, front desk clerk, restaurant hostess, waitstaff to bartender were all very friendly but unprofessional and clearly need a refresher course on what "service" in the service industry means.
While the spa facilities was lovely, professionalism was nonexistant. The hotel and spa staff do not work together to ensure guests a trouble free visit. The prevailing attitude at the spa is that you should be so lucky to get an appointment here. I don't understand, is this the staff's way of exuding exclusivity? My husband and I both had a mediocre massage. Furthermore, I broke out in a rash from neck to toe upon using the outdoor heated saltwater pools, suggesting that the bacteria levels were not properly maintained. When I approached spa staff and told them this, they acted as if I was out of my mind that it could be the spa's fault and quite gingerly dismissed my compliant.
To the resort's credit, the grounds, building, hotel room, vista views, hotel pool, skating rink were all a lovely experience. Perhaps I was expecting service, incredible food, and finally a bacteria free and relaxing hassle free holiday there. I guess if I didn't have such high expectations I think I would've thoroughly enjoyed myself.
Upon check out the resort did credit me our daily resort fee of $20 a day. However, a credit of $80 just didn't balance the hassle of the broken jacuzzi, the implication that I was a liar regarding my appointment at the spa and the claim that the heated pools were not properly maintained and finally the general attitude of the staff who gave the impression that they really could care less if you were a guest there or not. Perhaps the experience is quite different when renting a house and altogether avoiding the Suncadia lodge, enjoying what the resort has to offer and having minimal contact with staff. At $200+ a night this place is extremely overrated and it's too bad because it could be such a great place.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank travelintheroadgirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2009

For a getaway weekend from Seattle-Tacoma, Suncadia is hard to beat. Our room was large and comfortable and the staff extremely friendly and helpful. We enjoyed spa treatments and felt the spa was on par with other world class facilities. The staff there were professional and knowledgable. We vowed to return at least twice each year.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vmb
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2009

This is our second trip out to Suncadia. It's about an hour and twenty minute drive from Seattle, heading east, through North Bend and Snoqualmie. It was our first night away from our 11-month old daughter and we were seeking a relaxing weekend in a beautiful setting. The resort is located on a bluff overlooking the Cle Elum River. When you look out your window, all you can see are trees and wilderness. You can take walks or rent bikes to take out along paved trails. The dining is exquisite. Excellent, top quality meals! They also have kitchenettes in most rooms, I would highly recommend requesting one. We chilled our drinks and snacks in the fridge and made breakfast, to save a little bit. They have an amazing fitness center and pool. There is an automatic $20 resort fee on top of the nightly rate, but with that you get access to their pool, water slide, hot tub (both indoor and out) & fitness center. It's truly a beautiful, top-of-the-line center. Our room came with a fireplace and big screen TV. We had a wonderful time, we'll definitely be back! We hope to come out here about twice a year, by ourselves once and we'll bring the kids, too. Great romantic getaway or family escape. Search the internet for specials, we found one for $129! We checked out and drove up through Roslyn and went off-roading in the mountains. It was beautiful.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HawaiianMomma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2009

We had the most amazing time at Suncadia. It was a beautiful weekend while we were there and the resort was more than we could have hoped for. It is a great place to go with children. Our son loved swimming in their pools. The room was beautiful and the view was outstanding. It is the perfect family/couple/solo getaway. I can't say enough. The food was amazing too.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
seattle
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2009

We were staying 4 people to a room. we were told we would have rooms with 2 queen beds. We were given rooms with 1 queen bed and a couch fold out bed! When we confronted the front desk they said there was nothing they could do about it! Total False advertisment! we ordered a glass of wine over the phone for room service. we were told the glass of wine would be $8, when it arrived we were handed a bill for $15! I would never go back! the service is pathetic!

Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank nickimarie79
Vernon, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2009

We went to Suncadia this past weekend and stayed in the Lodge - we had a 1 bedroom suite which was fabulous as it had a kitchen & laundry. Rooms were very well appointed and probably had the most comfortable bathtub I have ever seen. The amenities of the resort were great - 2 playgrounds, lots of trails, the pool at the Lodge and the Fitness Centre were great. Our son was a little too short to go on the waterslides, but had a fun time in the pools (3 big pools, 3 hot tubs, 1 wading pool). The staff was so friendly - I am not sure I have ever seen a friendlier bunch of front line staff. We'll definately go back.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Predator-Ridge
Disappointed3057
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2009

After checking in at the Lodge at 2:00 a.m. we obviously wanted to get some sleep. At 9:00 am there was thunderous knocking on the door, followed immediately by a long doorbell, followed immediately by more thunderous knocking, and then another round with the doorbell. We were trying to find our robes and such to get the door when the woman started yelling "Do you need anything." I said yes, sleep. In 20 minutes she was back again with the knocking and ringing. I had to call the front desk and ask them to please make her stop. The room was fine, but nothing spectacular. It was loud (barking dog) and there was a false fire alarm. That in and of itself wasn't a deal breaker but the staff was walking around non chalantly and provided absolutely no information or assistance to the guests.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
#2 of 11 in Ellensburg
Cle Elum Travelers Inn
Cle Elum Travelers Inn
#7 of 7 in Cle Elum

Been to Suncadia Resort? Share your experiences!