“Nice Setting and Rooms, Overpriced”
Review of Suncadia Resort

Suncadia Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Cle Elum
Issaquah, Washington
“Nice Setting and Rooms, Overpriced”
Reviewed June 1, 2009

My wife and I stayed one evening at the Lodge in a Studio Spa Room. Overall we found the room and accomodations to be very nice, although the outdoor spa is very open to views from the rooms above, so no privacy to speak of. Service from wait staff at the main dinning area was average at best. We had a reservation, but had to wait 30 min. to get a window seat. We were told our only other option was to sit near a noisy party of 14. The waitress really wanted to be anywhere else than on the job. The coffee shop in the morning opens at 7am, but when I arrived at 7, coffee was not made. Waited another 20 minutes for coffee, only to be told that the decaf wasn't ready yet. Pastries were also late coming from the dining area. Why open up at 7? Overall not a very good price value. If you want a view, there are other better priced alternatives available

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank danimal1953

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Seattle, WA
Reviewed May 11, 2009

When thinking of booking my trip to Suncadia I read many reviews and many of them described poor customer service, allthough this was a concern, I lowered my expectations and booked my trip anyways.
I was blown away by the customer service and don't understand what other reviewers have been saying! The entire weekend we never passed a staff member who didn't say hello, hold a door open, or ask if we needed anything. Everyone made us feel special and as if they were there only to serve us. A complimentry wine tasting made the night complete!
The lodge itself is gorgeous! We stayed in a one bedroom that had a fireplace, two large screen tvs, and a full sized kitchen. I was amazed at the level of detail in the kitchen - in addition the granite countertops and stainless steel appliances they had pots & pans, wine glasses, serving platters, utensils, and basically anything you could want in a fully stocked kitchen! A balcony topped it off - complete with patio furniture made for a perfect evening with a bottle of wine watching the sunset.
The swimming pool and waterslides were a blast, the outdoor pool wasn't open yet, disapointing as the weather was very nice. The indoor pool can be tight with many kids around, but all in all a lovely experience.
I can't wait to find another excuse to go back!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank EastsideGal_85
Bothell, WA
Reviewed April 11, 2009

NOTE: I have replied to a Suncaida survey with the details below, and I look forward to their response...once I have details I will update this post.

I stayed at Suncadia with my wife and 3 year old son for one night in early April 2009. Overall we enjoyed our 2-bedroom 2-bath penthouse suite, especially with a huge Spring Break discount.

PROS
Seclusion, water slides, the hotel greeting station about a mile from the hotel, great bell service and coffee shop service, room was nicely appointed

CONS
* We had a punched out mattress that made it difficult to sleep
* The children's playground and our room had some safety issues (handles that came off exposing the sharp end of drywall screws)
* Pool was too cold for my wife and son to enjoy
* No pool toys or lifejackets available
* We made our reservation over the phone the night before, but our information was never entered into their system...it took about 25 to 30 minutes to check in
* We made a late checkout request at reservation and check-in, but were told we had to call on the day of checkout
* We asked whether tea bags were available for our room, but they told us our only option was room service for tea (?)
* We asked whether there were board games available, and all they had was one deck of cards for the entire hotel (and one game of Jenga)
* Our dinner at Portals took 90 mins (with a 3 year old). Took 60 mins to get our food, and we ordered 3 appetizers, 1 entree (mac and cheese), and one kid's mail. My glass of wine had big clumps of sediment. My wife had to leave early to put my son to bed because I was unable to find our waitress to pay for the meal. Price seemed very high (87 dollars) for: one glass of wine, mac n' cheese, one soda, one kid's meal, sliders, and a tuna poke stacker.
* Valet was not always available (Wed afternoon I ended up parking the car myself after paying for valet service already)

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
6 Thank Coprolite
Vancouver, WA
Reviewed March 30, 2009

Suncadia is a beautiful property. We stayed at the Inn before and this was our first time at the Lodge. We booked a studio on a promotion from the resort and were pleased. Our room was over the lobby and the deck was a tiny standing area about two feet wide. Next time I would asked to be moved to the river side of the building. There were a few spots missed by the cleaning staff, the kitchenette had crumbs and possible jelly on the counter and the glass table top still had water rings on it, but in all the rooms are in great shape. The staff is very friendly and very helpful.
The $20 resort fee is hard to pay. The ammenities provided are well worth it. The gym and pool are beautiful facilities. The trails and playgrounds are nice. There are shuttles provided and parking. The problem is the hours all this is provided are limited and occationally adjusted without warning. On Sat. the pool opened at 8am but kids were not allowed until 10am. Not a problem we took turns exercising while the other stayed in the room with my son until swimming time. I tried to arrange a shuttle into Cle Elum to get to an event we were attending but it wasn't available until 3pm. The only had one shuttle driver for the entire resort on Sat. So I paid $40 extra for an hour of exercise, 20 min of swimming and free parking. If I hadn't been staying with a promo price I probably would have been less pleased.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank travelsmiles4us
Bothell, Washington
Reviewed February 27, 2009

My husband and I recently stayed in a Deluxe Lodge Studio Room at The Lodge at Suncadia to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We live in the Seattle area and Suncadia was a fairly quick, easy drive from Seattle.

From the time we arrived, the service we experienced was wonderful. All of the staff were friendly and willing to help. The person who brought out room service even offered advice about places we should visit in the area.

Since we were celebrating, we indulged in room service a few times; it was amazing! My favorites were the deserts, so delicious! It was also nice having a stove top and convection oven in the room, along with all utensils, so that you have the option of making your own food to save some dough.

My favorite thing about the room was the gas fireplace. There is still snow on the ground, so it was so nice to come back to our room after a chilly walk and be warm and cozy in front of the fire.

We did notice that there were a lot of families with kids there, but they were never noisy and didn't affect our romantic getaway at all.

Overall, the resort area was beautiful, and I highly recommend visiting if you get the chance. My husband and I are planning to go back when the weather is warmer to try out the golf course and explore the hiking trails.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Hawaii12
washington
Reviewed February 2, 2009

We stayed at the Lodge at Suncadia for two nights at the end of January. My husband and I planned a few days away to relax and spend some quite time alone. This makes the my review of the resort somewhat biased as there were TONS of families and kids. If we had been with our kids we might have had a different experience.
First, upon arrival, the lobby was full of kids running around and screaming. When we arrived in our room, you could still hear children and their families in the hall. Some just talking quietly, others running and yelling down the hall.
At dinner that night we were seated next to a family with three small children. They were about finished with their meal but the smallest boy kept coming to our table. Not really a big deal but again, we were there without our kids and just wanted to relax. We learned quickly to eat the rest of our meals in the bar, where there were no minors(-:
The property itself is beautiful. Our room was clean and decorated nicely. The tub did not drain and I would have liked a heater in the bathroom as it is pretty chilly. The kitchen is great, especially if you came with a family and wanted to cook some meals in. We had the studio spa room but ended up not using the spa.
I have been to the Glade springs Spa on other occasions and it is wonderful!
There is also a fitness center/pool area we did not go to that I hear is wonderful.
The food was ok. If we were there for any length of time we would have to venture into Roslyn or Cle ELum for some variety.

Likes:
Brenda in food service who delivered our Breakfast Sat. am and Tiffany Goebel!
Dislikes: Too family oriented for a romantic getaway, walls in room to thin to keep outside noises down.

• Liked — Location.
  • Disliked — Too many kids!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Seattle, WA
Reviewed January 3, 2009

Driving into Suncadia and up to the lodge in the winter is truly beautiful. When we pulled up, I expected 4 Star service to match the beauty of the lodge and surroundings, but from the moment we arrived the staffing felt very mismatched....
The driveway was blocked by a car, so we manuevered our car to get to the valet station. The bell boy came to great us, while another valet set off the alarm on the blocking car.
When we arrived to our room it was not prepared for our arrival. The private hot-tub had no water in it, the path was not shoveled, and the room was freezing cold. My husband had to climb through the snow with the bell staff to check if the tub was working and one of the doors was jammed going outside. It took the front desk an additional 30 minutes to "find" another room for us with a functioning hot-tub (we paid extra to have this type of room) and when we were moved to that room it was also not fully prepped for us, as the bed was not fully made. At that point, we asked for the manager, who did respond appropriately.
Once we were in the right room and settled in, the rest of the stay was very pleasant. The spa was amazing and the food was above average.
Most of the staff are from the local University, so just be prepared that they are not use to providing 4 Star service e.g. they do not go beyond the call of duty unless directed. And if you want a hot tub that is fully functioning upon arrival or any other special accomodations be sure to explicitly ask for it e.g. please have the room heated upon arrival, champagne glasses to accompany the champagne, hot tub filled with water and path shoveled. Also, look over your bill carefully, as the front desk did not apply the credit that was apart of our package, until we asked.
Despite the shaky service, I would definitely visit Suncadia again, but just adjust my expectations for 4 star service staff.

• Liked — The decor and spacious rooms.
  • Disliked — The staff were not very polished.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank seattlebrooksjanzen
#6 of 7 in Cle Elum
Cle Elum Travelers Inn
Cle Elum Travelers Inn
#7 of 7 in Cle Elum

Been to Suncadia Resort? Share your experiences!