“Did not meet my expectations”
Review of Suncadia Resort

Suncadia Resort
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Cle Elum
Reviewed April 10, 2013

My family stayed at Suncadia on a living social deal, so I did not expect a prime room. Our reservation was for a "resort view" room. We were assigned to a room with a view of a resort wall. Not a half wall either, it was not possible to see over the wall. I expected a territorial view of the resort, not a view of the resort itself! I was not thrilled with the idea of spending two nights looking at a wall, so I asked for a different room. After some delay we were given the option of changing rooms - for a fee. Despite the half occupancy of the resort, apparently our only option was to pay for an upgrade.The upgrade fee was modest but the experience was reminiscent of a bait & switch routine. We decided to move our things rather than use a bellhop this time & on the second trip to the "old" room, the key did not work. We discovered the room had been immediately rented to someone else with some of our belongings still inside (had to be no more than 15-20 min. after given second room)! We had not been contacted to confirm all of our items were out of the room. I was told the room was called in an attempt to reach us, but since we were moving, we were not by the phone.

Not a big fan of the pool area - too small, not enough ventilation, and the stairway up to the waterslide is in horrible disrepair. I slightly opened the bifold door to the outside behind my chair to escape the overpowering chlorine fumes, but I was told no one could open any of the doors. Kids had fun at the pool, me not so much!

The resort is expensive. Room service pizza and four drinks totaled $40 (the Portals restaurant is yummy but expensive as well). Be prepared to pay extra for most activities, but the S'mores (which were delightful & a nice touch) were available at no additional charge. The room was nice with the exception of the broken down couch cushions & mattress (kids opted to sleep in chairs rather than the uncomfortable mattress on the pull out sofa) and a chair that appeared to have been attacked by a dog in the recent past.

I had an unexpected surprise waiting for me when I checked out. At the beginning of my stay I was told the resort credit could be used to pay for the room upgrade, but upon checkout I discovered I was "misinformed". The desk clerk's response to my inquiry was to deny our conversation. Also, don't expect an accounting of the use of the resort credit, it will not appear on the statement. The biling issue was resolved (after I asked to speak with a supervisor) but left me with a really bad feeling - and no desire to return. I spent a significant amount of money on our getaway but felt that I paid way to much for a lackluster weekend.

I like the concept of the resort but the execution is lacking. I had heard great things about the resort but walked away wondering what all of the fuss was about.

Room Tip: Avoid the room with the walled off balcony on the second floor!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Suncadia Resort

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This property is so stunning! It's secluded and the views are breathtaking. It's appointed beautifully! Portals is some of the best we've ever had. You must eat here during your stay. The rooms are spacious, and so comfortable. The bedding is outstanding. The staff is friendly and professional. If you are on a budget, just keep checking in, you'll find one. Well worth any price, though!!!

Room Tip: Get a river view!!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank melissa S
SuncadiaManager, Managing Director at Suncadia Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2013

Dear melissa s,

Thank you for your comments and visiting Suncadia! I agree that you can not beat the views from the Lodge, it is a gorgeous view. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your dinner at Portals and you found your room to be nicely appointed and comfortable. We truly appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back to Suncadia in the near future.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

What an unexpected gem! This weekend trip was a first "Mom and Dad getaway" without the kids, so our expectations were pretty low. We would have been happy at a HoJo as long as we were kidless!

Checkin on Friday was easy and uneventful. The fruit infused water was a nice touch.

Our Riverview room was great. We reserved a one bedroom, but really didn't need the living room area. The kitchen was well appointed with all the things one would need. The view was fantastic. We were on the 4th floor, but any room on the river side would have great.

Friday night we just stayed in and ordered a pizza. It was expensive, but very good.

Saturday was workout/Spa day. The pool and gym complex are in a seperate building a 5 min walk away from the main Lodge. Indoor pool is for lanes wide and had a couple of water slides. We only used the exercise area, but the place seemed well maintained. Only issue we had was the exercise area was very warm!

After the gym we headed to the Spa. What an experience! Maddie was my masseuse and she was great! The facility is amazing. It has everything. Outdoor plunge pools in natural rock, dry sauna and a eucalyptus infused stream room. The whole place smelled divine!

Dinner at the Swiftwater Winery was AMAZING! Christopher, our server, recommend a roasted salmon dish with a whiskey sauce that was ridiculously good! Usually it is tough to beat a nice bacon wrapped filet, but I would take this salmon ANY day. Speaking of Christopher... What a great server. He was casual yet very professional. He handled two "well sauced" patrons like a champ!

Check out was uneventful.

We are certainly looking forward to our next trip and might even bring the family!

Oh, and one more thing.... Turns out I had left a t shirt and a phone charger in the room and it actually got returned to me the next week! That was a first! It just goes to show how well Suncadia is managed. The housekeeper could have easily tossed the items but instead went through the effort to return them. Thank you!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank limacharlie145

Dear limacharlie145,

Thank you for choosing Suncadia for your "Mom and Dad Getaway"! It sounds like you were able to enjoy many of the great amenities Suncadia has to offer. A workout, spa treatments and a dinner at Swiftwater Cellars sounds like a perfect way to spend your time away. Thank you also for your note on your items you left behind. I am glad our team was able to get those returned promptly to you. We look forward to seeing you back at Suncadia with or without the whole family!

Thank you again for taking the time to share your Suncadia experience.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

We booked ourselves for the Easter weekend, using the offer from Living Social. It was our first time here and it did not disappoint. The staff were all young and very friendly. Especially Kirsten, whom our children really took a liking to. She really made their stay special. The check-in and check-out can get quite busy, but it was efficient.

Our one bedroom suite in the main lodge, complete with a full kitchen (with supplies) and washer/dryer was a good size and clean. Some of the furniture showed signs of wear and we had to have the dining table looked at, but the issue was resolved quickly. A warning-the clothes dryer is extremely loud, so make sure you use it when you are out!

We did not eat at any of the resort restaurants as we cooked in our kitchen. The pool, water slide and hot tubs were all clean and comfortable. The s'mores event at night was a hit with the kids. My daughter and I used our resort credit at the spa and got manicure and pedicure. The spa facility is beautiful and very relaxing. All the amenities you would expect and more. I did not experience any problems that the other reviewers experienced, when using the resort credit that came with the package.

We spent a morning biking around the property, which is huge. There was hardly any traffic and the scenery is beautiful. Unfortunately, the golf courses were still closed for the season. But, we spent a lot of time at the park and had a picnic lunch outside.

There is plenty of things to do, for both kids and adults. It is a very special place for families, without the craziness of places like Great Wolf Lodge. There are indeed a lot of families here, but not overwhelming. The sound does travel easily, but most of the children were young and went to bed early, so it wasn't an issue. And it does help that the pool is away from the lodge. I've stayed in many hotels where there are drunk adults hanging around in the halls late at night, and that's more bothersome.

We would definitely like to stay at Suncadia again! Next time in the winter so that we can participate the other activities that they offer throughout the year.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank NVanFamily
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We have been coming to Suncadia for 6 + years, renting homes through thick and thin, we have seen from the outsiders the transition form a cool place to a tight ownership back to nice staff and a great place to visit. We rent homes through Suncadia and directly form owners for a week or longer, typically 10 days and ti's fun, golfing, biking, walking, hiking, tennis and playing basketball, it's a cool place to bring our kids and our family to enjoy.

For a place less than 2 hours from Seattle that is a small (Very small SunRiver and has a long way to go) it will be an incredible place in years to come.

The best is looking at the stars, great star watching.

We look forward to many more fun trip to come.

Thank you Suncadia Rental Homes.

Room Tip: There is a Safeway 10 minutes away so we can cook almost whatever we want. Bring bikes, basketball...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear SeattleTef,

I agree that we have wonderful and beautiful rental homes throughout Suncadia and so many things to enjoy during a week long stay. Thank you so very much for being a loyal visitor to Suncadia through the years and we look forward to welcoming you to our amazing resort for many many years to come.

Thank you for your review!

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Yet another wonderful family trip at Suncadia! Excellent service, accommodations, activities and wonderful staff. So much to do and enjoy for the entire family...our kid's (7 & 8) favorite getaway destination year round! My husband's and mine as well, with the kids and without. Something for everyone!

Room Tip: We have stayed in several...haven't had a bad one yet!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We stayed in the main lodge, which was a beautiful hotel. It is not too far outside of Seattle, but far enough that we didn't feel that close to town. The staff are top notch, and we felt we were in a really classy place during our entire stay. The rooms were spacious, had nice kitchens, washer and dryer, and most have great views. Even the bathroom was large and spacious, more so than most bathrooms we've had in a rental. There is much to do. We used their pool and hot tubs, water slides, and ice skating rink, and spent a couple of afternoons skiing at the nearby Summit. When there is enough snow they have their own sledding hill. There are also fire pits outside that they let you roast marshmallows with. Our kids loved the place and ask to go back often, which we will do perhaps this spring to try some of the golfing options out there. Great experience.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
#6 of 7 in Cle Elum
Cle Elum Travelers Inn
Cle Elum Travelers Inn
#7 of 7 in Cle Elum

Been to Suncadia Resort? Share your experiences!