“Suncadia resort is for families and friends”
Review of Suncadia Resort

Suncadia Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Cle Elum
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Suncadia resort is for families and friends”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Friendly, caring staff complement this mountainside resort lodge; in-room fireplaces, expansive views and organic fare. Family activities for all ages, from fireside chats and hot tub soaking in summer, to ice skating and snoeshes in winter. Several long trails wind through the surrounding tree-studded hills. A conference center at the Lodge and an Inn large enough for a large wedding are just some of the unexpected amenities.

Room Tip: Second floor is the first floor for rooms; easiest to get in and out of as there are only a few elev...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Steve C
SuncadiaManager, Front Office Manager at Suncadia Resort, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear Steve C,

Thank you for your posting on TripAdvisor about your stay at Suncadia! I was very excited to hear that you were able to enjoy many of the great amenities Suncadia has to offer. I enjoyed your pictures of the winter wonderland at Suncadia as well! I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kristin Jeffries
Front Office Manager
kjeffries@suncadia.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed December 31, 2012

What has happened to Suncadia lodge? Our room was immediately adjacent to the stairwell and on the fourth floor. There isabsolutely NO SOUND DEADENING between the stairwell and the bedroom wall. Ear piercing fire alarm went off THREE TIMES in a 30 minute span which absolutely traumatized our four year old daughter. The place was packed with families but most seemed to have adolescant aged and teenage kids who were bored out of their minds and decided to make the hallway and the stairwells their playground. Parents, I don't blame you for pretending you don't know any of them. I would have ignored them too if I could, that is.

Room Tip: Don't stay near the elevators or stairwells. You will not get much sleep.
Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Jennifer A
Dear Jennifer A,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience at Suncadia on TripAdvisor. We really appreciate you sharing your experience and letting us know the areas that we have could have done better as a resort. I am terrible sorry that this experience did not meet your expectations. I would love to talk to you further about your stay and make sure that your next visit to Suncadia is exceptional.

Look forward to hearing from you...

Kristin Jeffries
Front Office Manager
kejffries@suncadia.com
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

A beautiful place, very classy looking, the food tastes great and looks beautiful, and if they'd put it in warm dishes it may not be Luke-warm when it's served. After two meals here, it seems to be their operational style.

Stayed December 2012
2 Thank ebcnaz
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 26, 2012

The location was great with amazing view and nice activities. We did tubing, cross country skiing, water sliding, swimming, hot tub outside in the snow, ice skating... and all these activities very super fun and shuttle wasn't too bad (you pay for everything separately on top of your accommodation). HOWEVER, the lodge was pure disappointment, when checked in our one bedroom it was so dirty... we found food pieces in sleeper sofa bed, white hairs all over the carpet and floor (no one in our family has blonde/white hair) and the plates and kitchen was dirty. Most disgusting thing was toilet was not clean and the floor had some spills or what call dirty spots. I asked the front desk to clean our room during our first ask it wasn't cleaned much. I was able to find white hairs on the floor all the time even they cleaned it.

Room Tip: not sure how can help... unless the rooms are cleaned better
3 Thank i u
SuncadiaManager, Director of Housekeeping at Suncadia Resort, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear i u,

I would like to thank you very much for sharing your valuable thoughts on the condition of your room during your stay. I can understand how disappointing and inconvenient this was for your stay. I can assure you that our team will do everything we can to prevent this type of situation from happening again in the future as we strive to make every guests experience as memorable and enjoyable as possible. Please know we take your feedback very seriously and will work to ensure all your future experiences at Suncadia are exceptional.

If you have any more comments or thoughts please contact me personally.

Jody Hawk
Director of Housekeeping
jhawk@suncadia.com
Seattle
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I LOVE this area. As a city dweller, it's essential to get out in the green as often as possible, and even though buckets were dumping from the skies during our sun-wanted trip to Suncadia, we still felt the warmth of the wilderness.

PROS:
1. The trees tell stories that city buses never could.
2. We stayed in a one bedroom / river view room, it was seriously GORGEOUS, and worth every penny. Sure, it was "expensive", as most amazing experiences are. (NOTE: The coffee machine is old school, bring extra coffee fixings and your own grounds if you have them)
3. The shuttle to the alternate buildings is a benefit, especially when it's raining, or if you're into adult beverages.
4. The wine restaurant had live music and a stellar vibe. We sat at the bar for dinner, and I would've traded my overpriced chicken leg for 2 servings of their mashed potatoes (aka potato puree), but it was a perfect evening.
5. I left my 4 legged friend at home because I was unsure of just how suitable this "resort" was for fur, but having been, I'm VERY excited for her to accompany me on a future visit!
6. LOVE the 6 pm check-out option. This is a 5 star benefit in itself.

CONS:
1. The website requires a 2 night stay. I struggled trying to make this work because my friend couldn't get away until Saturday morning. I was actually about to book 2 nights, and drive in with my dog for the first night / exchange her for my friend on Saturday, but you have to call for dog friendly room availability. Upon calling, I discovered you COULD only book 1 night. I'm definitely not down with this type of trickery. (NOTE: the dude on the phone was super friendly and accommodating, he should be a Manager at the resort, immediately)

2. The room isn't available until 4 pm, and you can call ahead to see if it's ready early - but when you have a 90 minute drive - you're not going to sit around all day hitting redial. We stopped in at 1:30, let them know we were ready whenever they were and left a cell #. By 3:30, we heard nothing and returned to the front desk. By 4:15, we were making noise. By 4:30, we were offered "a drink at the bar". I realize that ish happens - but here's the thing - NO ONE seemed to see a problem with this. The people at the front desk were careless, they never even apologized. I asked, "You give a 4 pm check-in time, it's 4:30 pm, why isn't it ready?" and the response was, "I don't know. Maid Service hasn't finished yet." Not one person said, "I'm sorry" until they realized we weren't quite as understanding as someone with a $200 coupon may have been. People were looking at us like we were wrong for being upset - but let me explain something, People .... when you pay $400 for 24 hours - 23 hours is unacceptable.

3. During the room-waiting period, we were excited to see the concierge desk, and waited to have a chat with him. After 20 minutes or so passed, we walked the 10 feet back to the front desk, and asked if he was gone for the day. They advised us that he was on his lunch break and would be returning momentarily (would've been nice if someone came over to tell us that instead of watching us wait indefinitely). We patiently returned to the cushy leather chairs, and for the next 30 minutes - watched him stand right next to us, sipping his Starbucks smoothie, chatting with other lodge employees. Yes, your lunch is your lunch - your personal time to do as you please - HOWEVER - it is completely unprofessional and quite frankly, just outright rude, to do so in front of customers. When he checked his watch and apparently hit his clock-back-in time, he definitely took his place on the other side of the desk with a cheerful smile, and was quite helpful. But he f'ed it up - because no one is worth waiting for in that manner, and we'll never use that service again as our time is just as valuable as his.

It was my choice to drop bigger bills, to not shop around for coupons, as it was a last minute trip and I just wanted to be sure it was booked - but I am a AAA member and wasn't asked, and we were undoubtedly given the "Groupon treatment". We'll definitely be back because the place itself is truly magical ... but we certainly won't return at the 5 star price for their 2 star service.

Room Tip: The view is worth the green
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Kristin M
Reviewed December 22, 2012

This is our 4th trip here in the last 2 years, and I've brought my family here every time (3 young kids and wife) with me. I like this place, and I really want to love it, but I just can't. Sure, the accommodations are nice (top notch appliances, great kitchen, nice bathrooms, comfortable beds). I guess when I pay this much to stay here then I tend to have less tolerance for the missed details compared to travels through Asia or South America at places a fraction of the cost (although they do have very nice 5-star accommodations in these places as well). I am happy that this is the first stay where the internt actually works. I'm glad they have improved that. Here are my frustrations from this trip (I'm not even going to list the old popcorn that my 2-year old found under the pull-out coach and decided to taste):

1) Dinner last night in Portals: They were out of 5 different things we asked for on the menu. The first or second were understandable, those things happen, but as we continued to hear "we don't have that right now", it just felt a little awkward. Ok, C'est la vie.

2) We went to do the tube rides in the snow this afternoon. It was a lot of fun and they really do have a great setup. The hill was only open for a 6 hour period (10 to 4), but after the first hour, they shut down one lane to pat down the snow. There was a lot of people there and it really caused a bottle-neck....lot's of down time. Not a huge deal, but this could be planned a bit better in my opinion....there was a lot of grumbling among the people waiting.

3) I think the most difficult part was the poor reliability of the shuttles. The shuttles are great in that you don't have to drive anywhere. The shuttle takes you to the tube rides, the swimming pool, wine cellars, sleigh rides, etc. However, my wife and kids waited 40 minutes at the tube (I caught an earlier one back with my 2-year old son, and saw the shuttle just sitting outside the Lodge - not like it was occupied doing something else). Then at the pool later that afternoon, after the pool attendant told us she just called a shuttle, my oldest child and I walked back. My wife and other two kids didn't get picked up until 40 minutes later, after 3 calls with the front desk who had promised that the driver was on his way.

None of these things are life or death, and if you don't have any kids under the age of 5 then you probably wouldn't understand, but again it's these small details that just seem a bit less excusable because of the prices I'm paying to stay here. Obviously it's not something I get too hung up on, as I manage to keep bringing my family here (it's one of the closest places to Seattle where you can come experience a great winter wonderland get-away, and probably one of the only ones which is why you pay more to stay here then for a 5-star resort in Kauai). All in all we've had a great time, and I'm sure we'll keep coming back.

3 Thank drhon
SuncadiaManager, Senior Administrative Assistant at Suncadia Resort, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear drhon,

I had the opportunity to view your posting regarding your stay here at Suncadia, and I wanted to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor. I'm sorry to hear that you had some difficulties while staying with us, including those with our restaurant, shuttles and sledding hill. I agree that Suncadia is a great winter wonderland getaway, and we strive for excellence in meeting your expectations and creating memorable experiences for you and your family. I am sorry we fell slightly short of those expectations, and would welcome the opportunity to talk with you further.

We look forward to having you and your family here at Suncadia again in the future, and hope to exceed your expectations in the future.

Taylor McGrew
Senior Administrative Assistant
tmcgrew@suncadia.com
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed December 18, 2012

The staff here is absolutely incredible! We got married at Swiftwater cellars (also amazing) and the hotel had an SUV waiting for us at the end of the night. We got to our room and had a bottle of champagne waiting for us :) They also provide a complimentary shuttle that will take you anywhere within the resort, which was perfect for getting my family to and from the wedding. The shuttle driver also took a detoured route so that my dad could get pictures of the elk herd that comes through the property at night--- not sure if my dad was more excited about this or the wedding! Steve at concierge was also amazing--- he helped us put together a surprise room service breakfast for my bridal party. All my family could talk about was how fantastic the service and ambience was! Thank you Suncadia!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
SuncadiaManager, Managing Director at Suncadia Resort, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear Christina S,

Thank you for choosing Suncadia for your special day. I truly appreciate you sharing with us your experience and details of your day. I was also pleased to hear the elk made a special appearance and that Steve was able to take great care of you and your wedding party.

Hope you are able to share many more special memories at Suncadia in the near future and coming years.

Warmest Regards,

#2 of 11 in Ellensburg
Cle Elum Travelers Inn
Cle Elum Travelers Inn
#7 of 7 in Cle Elum

Been to Suncadia Resort? Share your experiences!