“You have been warned!”

Homestead Restaurant
Ranked #33 of 41 Restaurants in Cle Elum
Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: A great little restaurant open for lunch & dinner. Fantastic barbeque!! A real find in a small town when travelling across the state of Washington.
Lacey, WA
“You have been warned!”
Reviewed August 6, 2011

Let me first say as a rule, my husband NEVER ever complains at a restaurant about the quality of the food or service, he just wouldnt go back. This restaurant is the first exception. Be warned- if you order a "Prime Steak", it isnt. Not only is it not prime rib ( fair enough, my assumption) it isnt even a cut of meat you'd ever consider the best the restaurant had. $18 a plate for a chewy, inedible piece of skirt steak that they drown in a really bad BBQ sauce. If you know your meat, skirt steak isnt a cut you generally serve as a hunk, you have to slice it thin against the grain to be able to chew it, its often used for fajitas. To really add insult to injury, the wait staff was immature, at best. They'd come by and ask us how we liked it, I'd mention I wasnt expecting my steak to come covered in BBQ sauce, as it didnt say so anywhere on the menu. Then they'd go around the corner and talk about us as if we werent there. (Btw, lest you think we're difficult, we didnt send it back, we didnt ask for money off, I was just honest that it wasnt our favorite, and ate our potatoes and salad gladly).One girl had the gall to go over to another patron and ask very, very loudly " You like the prime steak dont you!? You like it covered in our BBQ sauce, dont you!?" The eldest gal, who seeemed to be the acting manager, asked my husband what he thought and he just finally had to pipe in. He did it nicely and she replied " I guess I dont know what you're talking about because I dont like steak so, yeah". It was really truly so bad, it was almost comical. But, wait! It gets better! I am thinking they were going to redeem the horrific service: The "Manager on Duty" gal came again to apologize that we didnt like the preparation , asking if she could make it up to us by offering a delicious "non slathered in bbq sauce" (wink-wink) dessert! Go pick out anything you like! Super! The catch? They brought us a check for the "on us" desserts! Ten more dollars for the worst meal ever! Btw, sign in the parking lot says " for sale by owner", hmmmm... wonder why?

Visited August 2011
1 Thank messageinabottle

Seattle, Washington
“Keep driving”
Reviewed July 10, 2011

Stopped by here because I hadn't eaten all day. The restaurant raves about their BBQ. Thus ordered a BBQ Burger and fries. Burger was small for the money and tasted horrible. The BBQ sauce was awful. Fries were homemade but so plain tasting. Had to dump a lot of salt on them and I'm not someone who loves salty food.

On the upside it was clean and service was good.

• Visited July 2011
Duvall, Washington
“GOOD FOOD”
Reviewed October 25, 2010

Very good BBQ served with mountainous sides! Interior is very clean, staff is very friendly. The dining room has a very home like feel, order off the menu at the counter and take a seat. I was delighted by the quality of the food and the warmth of the interior.

New Haven, Connecticut
“Great place to stop!!”
Reviewed October 19, 2010

An excellent place to stop while travelling across the state of Washington. Convenient location right off Interstate 90 - easy on & off. Open for lunch and dinner with great homemade food - the barbecue is as good as it gets, homemade desserts too. Friendly little restaurant with great staff - must be family operated.