“Long wait not worth it”

Portals Restaurant at Suncadia Resort
Reserve with OpenTable
Portals Restaurant at Suncadia Resort is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 41 Restaurants in Cle Elum
Olympia, Washington
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Long wait not worth it”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We had breakfast two days in a row at Portal's The first day, it took almost an hour for only two of us to receive our meals. With the exception of one meal, a superior asparagus eggs benedict, the second dish was only passable. We gave the restaurant the benefit of a doubt the next day and took our 11 member group to breakfast. An hour and 15 minutes later, the meals arrived cold, and at least five of the orders were incorrect. The long wait was not worth it.

Visited July 2013

Ellensburg, Washington, United States
“Excellent food, outstanding service”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

During a recent two-night stay at the Lodge at Suncadia, we enjoyed a total of 4 meals at Portals: 2 dinners, and 2 breakfasts. The overall atmosphere is of comfortable quality: you know it's a "nice" restaurant, but not stuffy or formal in any way; there's a fairly mellow, kind of laid-back vibe (and thankfully, they do not play country music!!). The view throughout is stunning, even if you're not lucky enough to score a table by the window (and during one cloudless sunset meal, a table away from the sun would have been preferable, no doubt). The food, without exception, was excellent in quality and quantity; the wine was palatable but not particularly noteworthy (but not particularly costly, either, so we were not overly disappointed). Some menu items seemed rather over-priced, but overall, I did not feel they were out of line with the quality of the food itself. I always hesitate to recommend specific menu items, since everyone's tastes vary so tremendously...but I do want to mention, surprisingly, a breakfast item so delicious I selected it both times I was there: the vegetarian Benedict. Not a gourmet myself, my description wouldn't do it justice--so suffice it to say that it was truly delicious, well worth the price, and something I just might come back for, should I decide to get dressed and drive 45 minutes for a special breakfast instead of having coffee in my bathrobe. The Hollandaise on this Benedict was heavenly all by itself; I'm sure it must have contained a week's worth of calories--but oh, what a way to go!...and there were all those lovely veggies to make me feel it must be healthy after all...

Overall, though, we were most impressed by the incredible service we received during each visit to Portals. Each server introduced themselves (although there were so many at times, it was hard to keep track of them!), and each went out of his or her way to be helpful and courteous. Perhaps we've become so used to indifferent service that the experience of industrious professionals actually doing their jobs with thoughtful attentiveness seems disproportionately praiseworthy, but I honestly can't remember a dining experience in recent years during which the service was so consistently good. We were extremely pleased and impressed with our experiences at Portals, and will most definitely return--hopefully soon!

• Visited July 2013
Beaverton, Oregon
“Excellent breakfast with 1st calss service”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We had breakfast here.....the service was 1st class. The french toast with banana compote was sweet, but to die for. Really good coffee, orange juice did not appear to be fresh-squeezed though. Every seat in the house had a specular view to the west.

• Visited July 2013
Sun Valley, Idaho
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Limited menu, great atmosphere. Waited over ONE HOUR for the meal after a number of delays with ordering, wine service, etc. The wait was not worth it and too expensive. This was during the week for dinner. The lodge was NOT crowded...last time for us.
Breakfast experience is much better.

• Visited June 2013
now
“Nice service, average food”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Paid $75 for breakfast for a family of 4. Ouch. Nothing special about the eggs, French toast and pancakes. I recommend going in to Cle Elum for breakfast if you're staying at Suncadia or cook in your room.

Visited June 2013