Review Highlights

Good Day on the Snake River

Reviewed September 22, 2018
Johandarl
Woodinville, Washington

All reviews day tour fun trip hells canyon turkey sandwich the river big horn sheep bag of chips weather was perfect juice first stop rock formations canyon tour historic ranch bag lunch life jackets fantastic trip great job
Reviewed October 8, 2018

This was a great experience, highly recommended by a friend. Our guide was very informative and the combination of drifting while waiting for rafters to go through rapids and then speeding through in our boat kept the trip from being all the same. Lunch was provided at a nice spot to explore and relax, as well as a morning stop with refreshments. It was all it was advertised to be, a very fun day.

Jill K, Owner at Beamers Hells Canyon Tours, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2018

All of our crew at Beamers Hells Canyon Tours is glad to know you were recommended by a friend and we would like to take the time to thank-you for sharing your experience on-board with us with everyone. We strive to provide accurate details of what one can expect along the Snake River of Hells Canyon with us and we are glad we met your expectations.Thanks for being our customer, we appreciate YOU!

Reviewed September 22, 2018

We did the Beamer's Hell's Canyon Tour for a day Along the way to the Kirkwood Ranch, we stopped at various locations to deliver the US Mail. That was different and fun. Tyler, the captain, did a great job of history, landforms, and piloting the boat. Robert was helpful and gave us some added information since we were in the back of the boat. Great day on the Snake.

Jill K, Owner at Beamers Hells Canyon Tours, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2018

Thanks for being on-board with Beamers Hells Canyon Tours and sharing your thoughts with everyone. The US Mail is delivered along the Snake River of Hells Canyon each and every Wednesday year round the same way it has been done for 99 years...by boat! We hope to see you again on another adventure into Hells Canyon-its' never the same trip twice and we have lots of options in tours. Thank-you again for being our customer!

Reviewed September 19, 2018

A jet boat trip into Hell's Canyon had long been on my wife's list of things she wanted to do. As a retired local teacher, I had made the trip many times as a guest of Beamer's which for years generously provided a free trip into the canyon for fourth graders as part of the local history curriculum. However, on this trip I was able to pay more attention to what was going on outside the boat rather than inside the boat.

Lee, the captain, and Robert, the deck and, made an excellent combination in making the trip informative as well as amusing. Stops for refreshments at Heller Bar and for lunch at Kirkwood were good and well appreciated by ourselves and by two friends from the Seattle area whom we had invited on the trip. They enjoyed the bounces an splashes of the frequent rapids almost as much as fourth graders. I definitely recommend the trip and Beamer's..

2  Thank Kari P
Jill K, Owner at Beamers Hells Canyon Tours, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2018

Thanks so much for being on-board with Beamers Hells Canyon Tours and taking your time to share your experience with everyone. We appreciate you being our customer and look forward to welcoming you on-board with us again on a future adventure!

Reviewed September 9, 2018

I was originally booked on the half day tour but there weren't enough people for this tour to operate so I upgraded to the full tour and fought through the jet lag! I'm so glad I did! The tour operators were friendly and helpful. They were very knowledgeable and stopped at various points for photo opportunities. I also was able to deliver some mail along the river! The setting for morning tea and lunch was absolutely stunning. I would definitely do this tour again. PS. I'm sorry I didn't leave a tip, It is absolutely no reflection on the service - I'm just not used to tipping where I live and I didn't bring any money on the trip, just my card so was glad to at least be able to contribute by purchasing a couple of things at your river store. Thank you again Beamers - you rock! Kind regards, Tina :)

Jill K, Owner at Beamers Hells Canyon Tours, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2018

We appreciate you taking your time to share your thoughts with everyone Tina and we were more than happy to have had you on-board with Beamers Hells Canyon Tours...thanks so much for being our customer-we truly appreciate you!

Reviewed September 7, 2018

We took the all day 5 rivers boat tour and have great things to say. Lee, our cap’n, and Robert, the first mate, were an amazing team and made our trip seamless. We saw Long horn sheep, birds and a big black bear. Lee’s knowledge of the history of the river, folklore and current events was excellent. He has a mastery of the river that is reassuring. Food was very good for a bag lunch and the first stop offered coffee, juice, lemonade, watermelon and pastries. We would definitely do again and recommend to others. A great day!

Jill K, Owner at Beamers Hells Canyon Tours, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2018

Thanks for being on-board with Beamers Hells Canyon Tours and for sharing your thoughts with everyone. We appreciate your business and your kind words!

Reviewed August 12, 2018

I went on the all day tour one year ago and am returning to Lewiston and will take the all day tour again. The trip is great but basic. Elderly people really do not belong on this kind of trip, sorry to say that but its not easy all the way. It can be tiring and leaving the boat for picnicking is not easy. As a first responder myself, I was not pleased with the captain telling people that the life jackets were below deck. They should have been demonstrated as to their use and procedure. In case of emergency, there is no time to learn how to put on a flotation life jacket. In fact, at any passenger request for a jacket, one should be provided for use and wear. The Snake River can be hazardous with changing currents, rocks, floating logs and debris. Its an adventurous trip and worth it-- the full day trip is kind of long, but everything went well on our ride and as I said I will go against next month. Practice safety-- I am in the business. Prepare for the unexpected.

Jill K, Owner at Beamers Hells Canyon Tours, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2018

Thank-you for taking your time to post your response. We too are in the business of practicing safety procedures and when commercially operating on the Snake River of Hells Canyon must follow the proper protocol of our governing agencies. The US Coast Guard inspects all our vessels annually including life jackets. We must meet U.S. Coast Guard requirements with US Coast Guard approved life jackets for each person aboard, including where the US Coast Guard allows them to be stowed. Passengers are not required to wear them. Before disembarkation, tour captain makes a safety announcement including where life jackets are stowed, and how to properly don one. Passengers that request a life jacket are provided one to wear. While we do everything possible to assure that our guests experience a safe, fun, and pleasant river trip, the trip by nature is not without risk. Information about what to expect on our tours can be found at our website, additionally our reservation staff is very attentive to the needs of physically challenged individuals of all ages and personally makes an extra effort to assure guests know what to expect on one of our tours. We look forward to welcoming you on-board with us again.

Reviewed July 14, 2018 via mobile

I bought this your for my husband for a fathers day gift. We went on Friday 13th of July. This weather was perfect. The trip was super fun not to mention all the history we learned. We saw lots of birds and even mou gain goats. Lunch was great. My hat goes off to our wonderful Captian Lee and his first mate Kyson you guys made the trip a blast. Thanks so much to the both of you for helping us have such a good day. Hint.....if you like to get splashed on a hot day ride in the rear of the boat you will get some nice surprises!!!! We would definitely do this trip again!

Jill K, Owner at Beamers Hells Canyon Tours, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2018

Thanks so much for being on-board with us and sharing your thoughts with everyone...our entire crew appreciates YOU!

Reviewed June 16, 2018

We left promptly at 8am and there were only 14 of us aboard as a few had cancelled due to the weather so we were able to spread out on the boat. We cruised along with Tyler commentating when necessary and encouraging us to ask questions. Stopped at Heller Bar for refreshments and a gas up, cruised along more and saw the beautiful hills that were all green and covered with the purple flowers. I was told that would be gone in a few weeks though. Loved hearing the history and trying to find all of the wildlife. We saw quite a few people who are choosing to live with no electricity or plumbing, also saw several boaters and rafters along with wildlife. Being my daughter & I were in front we kept joking that it would be funny if there was a sign in the middle of the river the said "Welcome to Oregon" I'll be danged Tyler actually pointed one out on the hill when we crossed over into Oregon.

Around 1pm we stopped at Kirkwood Historic Ranch for lunch. As soon as we arrived it started pouring but our boat decided to get out any way. We were given a sack lunch which consisted of turkey sandwich on a hoagie roll with cheese and lettuce, a bag of chips, veggie cup with dip and 2 chocolate chip cookies. We also got to pick up a pop. Being it was pouring we quickly ate our lunch did a quick tour of the buildings and then headed back on the boat. The restrooms here are a little walk away. I was asked by the caretaker if I learned anything and I told him that no one knows why it's called Hell's Canyon. He told me the answer is in the museum but I never did find it. For anyone talking with the caretaker ask him/her about the bathtub and then tell them you want to see it. Once everyone was back on the boat (we were not told when we needed to be back) we took off. This is the last stop up the river then you head back with one quick stop at a place to see hieroglyphics on the rocks then once you leave this point it is directly back to the dock which does take a couple of hours from the time you leave Kirkwood Ranch. When I realized we would be back by 4pm instead of 5 or 6 like the website says Tyler said it's because when the weather is better most people spend a lot more time at Kirkwood Ranch.

If you were wanting to go all of the way to the dam this is not the tour for you as they do not go to the dam. However the price is right.

Thank you Beamers for offering groupon and AAA discounts along with free parking at the dock and letting us bring any extras we wanted to bring food and beverage wise. Just FYI the water they serve on the boat is in a styrofoam cup so if you get a cup it may spill with the bouncing on the boat. I thought they had bottles of water. I was wrong. These are the reasons why we chose you instead of the others. Also when I had an e mail question and called you inquiring about something, your customer service was fantastic. Tyler and Brad made the trip all the more special so thank you Tyler and Brad for making this trip very enjoyable even though the weather wasn't the greatest.

Good luck when taking pictures unless you are stopped its hard to get a quality picture.

If you are wanting to go all of the way to the dam this is not the tour company for you. If you want to save some money and have a good time and learn lots of history go with Beamers

Jill K, Owner at Beamers Hells Canyon Tours, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2018

Thanks for your review, we are glad to have had you on-board with us and to answer your question:
The US Forest Service tell us...according to Carrey, Conley, and Barton, in their book Snake River of Hells Canyon, most of the early explorers referred to the gorge as Box Canyon or Snake River Canyon. The first reference to Hells Canyon appears in an 1895 edition of McCurdy's Marine History of the Pacific Northwest. In discussing the voyage of the steamboat, Norma, the author writes; “she then bound off, swinging into midstream, and like a racehorse, shot into Hells Canyon…” The name was used by the Mazama hiking club in their 1931 bulletin. Bailey’s book, Hells Canyon, was published in 1943. Senator Neuberger of Oregon used it in several publications in the 1930s.

Reviewed June 14, 2018

Tyler and Kyson were wonderful! So much information - fun people that were really loving their jobs...being on the river sharing their wealth of knowledge. The day passed by really quickly.

Jill K, Owner at Beamers Hells Canyon Tours, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2018

Fabulous to have you on-board with us...thank-you for taking your time to share your thoughts with everyone!

Reviewed December 28, 2017

Seeing Hells Canyon in all of its glory is absolutely breathtaking. On this trip you will see authentic Indian petroglyphs that are amazing and rock formations in the form of large basalt columns with Bighorn Sheep dancing their way across the gorge. Your eyes will be moving constantly taking in all of the beauty. It is nature at its best. See great fishing spots, Cache Creek Station, Kirkwood Ranch, and white water rapids.

An overnight trip is also available. The food is good, the rooms are very comfortable, and the sunset and sunrise will leave you speechless. Travel alone, or with your family. They accommodate everyone.

1  Thank SarahC6715