“Much better than anticipated!”

Quality Inn & Suites Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Clarkston
Iowa
“Much better than anticipated!”
Reviewed August 10, 2011

I grew up in this area and I had no idea how nice the Quality is! Recently returned for a visit and stayed a night at the Quality and was completely wowed! The decor is amazing and tasteful. The huge windows in the lounge give you a view of the river as you walk in to check in. It is gorgeous and peaceful. We had a river view room right above the pool. Everything was clean and in great condition. Breakfast was included (huge bonus) and it's not some rinky dink continental breakfast. Oh no, you get any breakfast entree or two breakfast sides AND a drink. Or you can just use the voucher in the bar for a drink. But we chose breakfast. Service was friendly and fast. Food was delicious. Dining room overlooks river also. The value of what you get for what you pay is great. I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank CinnaPatty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 9, 2011

At a difficult time (unexpected death of my young grandson), the staff at the Quality helped us with this difficult transition. We had no knowledge of when family/friends would be arriving from out of town, how many rooms they would require, what size and for how long. And some had pets they wanted to bring. On top of that, we were trying to organize a service and after-service function. Quality Inn was absolutely and unequivocably patient and understanding. Their willingness to deal with many last minute changes was very much appreciated. And on top of that, the facility itself was top notch. The grounds/location are beautiful, well-kept and quiet, but still close enough to walk to restaurants and shopping. The pool was clean, the rooms spotless, and when our large group met for breakfasts each day, the staff was efficient and friendly. BONUS: your free breakfast is from the menu, not a tired breakfast buffet. This hotel is a hidden gem!! PS, we had our after-service lunch there - group of 50 - and there were absolutely NO complaints. They gave us free reign to setup the room as we wished and the food was excellent. Quality Inn in Clarkston is a class act.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank TrinaK1601_11
Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed August 7, 2011

WOW, I was completely dismayed by the attitude of the staff at this hotel. In the past I 've worked in hospitality for many years and would never have treated a paying guest in such a way,

In short they run a coupon system here and whoa-betide anyone who does not use the coupon correctly.

I bought two nights at this hotel, each night coming with breakfast. This seems simple enough. The first morning my wife, child and I chose to sleep in late after a travelling the day before. We did not have breakfast at the hotel. Now going back to the coupons, if you don't use a coupon for breakfast you can use it for a drink at the bar. So we did that.

The next morning we went to have breakfast and were informed that breakfast would not be included since we had already used our coupon. What? I had two coupons in my hand, how can that be? If I now understand this correctly the day you eat breakfast must be different to the day you have a drink??!??! HUH? Why make it so complicated? As a guest, I really didn't care what the "paperwork" said, I just wanted the breakfast I had already paid for. It seems to me this should be simple to correct, but this is where the attitude of the staff really came to the fore...

I was informed by the receptionist that this was my mistake and if had followed the system precisely I would not be having this problem. I should have understood the system and this cannot be corrected. I asked to speak to the manager and was informed this hotel does not have one at the weekend. Eventually I was allowed to speak with Ron (?), the restaurant manager. Ron was equally uninterested, made a point of arguing against everything I said and was adamant that he was going to win this. How he ever got a job working with the public is beyond me.

The upshot? I didn't get what I paid for and the stay was soured by this experience.
I won't stay with Quality Inns again and I'm making a point of sharing my experience so others can avoid the same fate.

Barry, Kirkland, WA

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank BarryMarkey
New Jersey
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Just stopped for the night and was very pleased. Room was very comfortable, pool outside very enjoyable, breakfast was a treat. Hotel has a restaurant onsite that allows you to order anything you want off the menu free of charge. Very professional staff and well maintained hotel.

Room Tip: Ask what discounts they accept. aarp, teachers discount, costco amex. they won't tell unless yo...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank irene3r
Ballwin, Missouri
Reviewed June 27, 2011

We stayed here with our small dog. The room was spacious, clean and inviting. The desk friendly and helpful. From reviews and stars we didn't expect much, but what a pleasant surprise. The hotel is located right on the river. Breakfast was included in the price and we could choose from the restaurant menu. A great selection with pleasant waitress service. We ate on the outside patio overlooking the river.

Room Tip: Ask for a river front room if you have time.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Eiss
Fernley, NV
Reviewed May 8, 2011

We recently stayed here with a young child and a dog. The staff was friendly. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. Our room was right next to the entrance and the vending/ice machines so it was noisy. I'm not sure if we were in a different location if that would have made it better, but it couldn't have made it any worse. We didn't sleep very well. I would recommend asking for a room in the back or away from the door. The restaurant where guests got their complimentary breakfast was great! The proximity to the Clearwater River and Granite Park was great, especially with a dog a child. The hotel is set off the main road and not on a busy street so its very quiet and private.

Room Tip: Do not stay near the door or vending/ice machines
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Silverdale, Washington
Reviewed April 22, 2011

I found this hotel to be quite nice but a distance from where we wanted to be but the weekend we stayed here there were many things going on in various areas so hotels were limited. The staff was friendly. One complaint I have about this hotel is that under guests under 18 are considered children and so the free breakfast is off the childs menu. They are not willing for you the pay the difference between childs menu and adult so you pay full rate nd can eat cheaper else where. When you go to a restaruant out in town teenagers are not allowed to order off a child's menu but this hotel expected teenager to have enough with one pancake and egg. Are you serious?? Might want to check with them at the desk first for clarification instead of it showing up on your bill. Other than that our visit was enjoyable and clean rooms.

Room Tip: we stayed on bottom floor and very quiet
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank jdd1962
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clarkston
Best Western Rivertree Inn
#9 of 13 in Lewiston
Fairbridge Inn & Suites
Fairbridge Inn & Suites
#7 of 13 in Lewiston

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Conference Center? Share your experiences!