“It's There When You Need It”
Review of Breakwater Inn

Breakwater Inn
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
“It's There When You Need It”
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We stayed in Clallam Bay, and had no idea there was nothing there. Except the liquor store, and I was too scared to go in.
We tried to walk to the Breakwater, but the road is very scary so had to drive. This was a shame as they have a fine range of bottled beers (Pyramid, Black Butte, Pike Place) but I'd already had a drop of wine.
As a Britisher, I've not been to many diners, so this place was great. Nice booths looking over the sea, friendly staff, locals chatting. Great atmos.
The food was inexpensive & fine. My lady's fish tasty and look at the pic of my steak! I'd asked for medium rare, and it looked too bloody even for me. But it tasted fine & $18 very fair.
Don't be put off by the bad reviews. We were desperate, and they more than performed. Try & get someone to drive you & taste those beers.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank ant_jone

Juneau, Alaska
“Good View”
Reviewed June 26, 2011

If you stop here, get a window seat. I have only been here once. The menu is typical american fare. I would give it a rating of average. But the view is great. You are looking at the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Lots of marine traffic from small boats to barges loaded with containers to tankers. And beyond that is Vancouver Island in Canada. If you are lucky, you may even see some marine mammals.

There are not too many places to eat in Clallam Bay so why not stop here. You cannot beat the view. The food is okay - not bad, but not great. There is a lot to choose from on the menu - breakfast, lunch and dinner.

• Visited June 2011
3 Thank Rosementko
seattle
“Hire a cook”
Reviewed October 8, 2010

We were there in October 2010, the off-season when almost everything on the coast is closed. This was the only place in town that was open and they take advantage of the fact that they have a captive audience that far from civilization. They couldn't even do a decent chicken fried steak but charged $16 a plate for trying. The meat didn't have a single bite that was chewable. It sat in bland canned brown gravy which, like the meat, was totally flavorless. Wish I'd ordered the fish'n'chips from the children's menu. Very nice server.
If you go, bring some bread and bologna and make your own dinner.

1 Thank beverlea
Redmond, WA
“Way too expensive for the food”
Reviewed July 2, 2010

Both waitresses told me that "Chicken Fried Steak" was chicken...but when it came to the table, it was overdone, dry, streak with the oddest cornmeal breading I've ever seen. And it was very expensive, around $15! This is the middle of nowhere, the Breakwater needs a good remodel and the bathroom smelled horrible. The waitstaff was very nice. And the view was great, but one could have easily have eaten snacks in the car and seen the same view. My meal was the same price as Bella's in Port Angeles and Bella's very beautifully decorated, GREAT food and atmosphere. I recommend bypassing the Breakwater unless they drop their prices by 50%.

1 Thank Cybil074
Vancouver, Wa
“It's been a while, but still remember the view and great iced tea”
Reviewed June 28, 2007

Ok, this place is by no means 5 star....but it's not meant to be. Theres a little cheap but comfy hotel next door, which we stayed in the night before. We were hungry, so we took the trek across the parking lot to the breakwater. It is definatly the place for locals, and anglers in for the fishing derbies, but that didn't detur us. During our stay, my friend and I came in and ate, or just had coffee probably about five times. The food was good, the service average and friendly - but nothing to complain about. But what really brought us back again and again, was the view and the iced tea! OMG, whole street facing portion of the building is one large wide window that looks out on the water! So beautiful! And the iced tea was the best we had had in a very long time, very fresh, and always good, no matter what time of day we came in and dined. Prices were a little more than one would expect, but still worth it. Looking forward to going again with my husband next month!