“Enjoyed Campbell's Resort in the off-season”

Campbell's Resort on Lake Chelan
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Chelan
Reviewed October 7, 2005

My husband and I stayed at Campbell's resort on Lake Chelan last weekend and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. It was after all the kids had gone back to school, so it was wonderfully quiet. Prices were reasonable for this time of year, but they're quite a bit steeper during the summer, of course.
Our room was on the top floor - the only rooms that have fireplaces - and the view was breathtaking! I opened our drapes in the morning to see the lake, smooth as glass, surrounded by mountains. Each room has a little terrace with table & 2 chairs, but it was a little chilly in the morning to go out there.
The room was spacious and had a kitchenette, which we didn't really use much. The resort has a nice restaurant on site - actually two - a pub-type restaurant upstairs and a more elegant one downstairs. We ate in the pub and both enjoyed our meals.
My husband & I are really into shopping, but we had pretty much covered the town of Chelan in about an hour, so the next day, we headed to Winthrop - a darling western-themed town - that had plenty of little shops to keep us occupied.

5  Thank 2TravelBears

A TripAdvisor Member
Washington
Reviewed September 3, 2005

This is the second year we have visited Campbell's and the first year we stayed in building 1 which was nice and remodeled. This year we paid $300 a night to stay in a cottage. We were extremely disappointed with the rooms condition. Just to sum up these rooms;the hot water heater was exposed in the corner of the room, which I don't think is even legal. When we expressed our disappointment we were only told that the resort was booked and there was little they could do for us. Needless to say Campbell's will not receive our business next summer.

• Stayed: August 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 28, 2005

My husband and I stayed at Campbell's several times and we loved it so much that we decided to get married there, until the huge hassle with their guest services department. I inquired about booking a conference for our wedding only to be told that their calendar wasn't open that far ahead (which was a year). So I patiently waited and e-mailed them once a month to see when the calendar would be open for booking. For 4 months I kept getting the same response that the calendar wasn't open. On the 5th month I got a response from someone else saying that they were booked the weekend I was hoping for. I resonded and asked how it could be booked when I was told that their calendars weren't open. Her response to me was basically that they don't want to cater to weddings because they make more money from large conferences, such as state conferences or retreats. They will only do weddings if it is booked less than 90 days in advance. I was pretty frustrated because I waited 5 months when I could have been looking at other places. I e-mailed Art Campbell and he responded by siding with guest services who "really tried to work with me", which was by far from the truth.

We stopped going because of that whole situation and because their prices have sky-rocketed in the last couple of years. They now charge on average $242/night and it's not really even a resort. They don't have room service and whenever we have gone, the pay-per-view has never worked. They only have maybe two small pools to accomadate 4 lodges. The only thing they have going for them is nice weather and location.

• Stayed: July 2003
12  Thank pajebyenight
Reviewed August 16, 2005

We stayed at Campbells for four nights with two kids recently. The setting on Lake Chelan is beautiful and the small town of Chelan is quaint and charming. The resort itself however is a series of four road-side motel buildings side by side which seem to me to have been designed on a utilitarian basis without any thought of charm or grace. The grounds, while well kept, seemed too small for the number of people (admittedly it was high season) and were crowded with large groups and extended families partying and roaring around on jet skis. The view across the lake would have been charming except for an even uglier concrete resort (the Caravelle) directly across the way. The food was ok (lots of other restaurants within walking distance in the town.) The back of the hotel fronts on the highway, with a strip mall and grocery store across the street.

• Stayed: August 2005
7  Thank clson
Reviewed July 29, 2005

Must admit we loved Campbells the first couple times we stayed there in 2001 and 2002.

The last two times we stayed we were stuck in the "old" lodge that they don't disclose when you book. It is 1/3 the size as the rooms we had stayed in before with no deck or porch but at the same price as the larger rooms we had stayed in previously. In addition there are only two small pools that are typically packed with kids. The only swimming options I had was the lake as the pools are always packed every time I have been at Campbells.

The room prices seem to go up about $40 a year. During peak season I think the rooms are like $240 a night. I'm mean c'mon this isn't Vegas or Disneyland, it's Chelan WA. We most likely won't ever go back as the prices are just obnoxius.

• Stayed: June 2003
8  Thank swamiduck
Reviewed July 11, 2005

Stayed at Campbells for four days in June with three grandaughters. Be mindful they do not have a life guard-this is troublesome on the lake part of the resort even if your kids are good swimmers.
There is sand and enough to make a decent sandcastle.
It seems that all rooms have a good view of lake but some have better view of pool and some better of lake beach. I recommend you get map of resort before making reservaion because there are several buildings. Also should consider if you want to be on ground floor or up.
They have a large suite but it is always booked so i do not know what the trick is to get it.
Each room has a small refrif and mico wave. There is no room service. The resturant food was good. There is a large safeway across the street to get food etc.
A slide water park is about a mile away and is great-bring your own chairs.

• Stayed: June 2005
2  Thank hillmel
Reviewed April 5, 2005

Campbell's lodge is fantastic, summer, fall, spring and especially great in the winter. We are avid hawaii travelers who live in Washington and spend our winter vacation at Campbells. I actually grew up going to the resort. The changes, remodels are great. The rooms are so nice and clean. Beautiful lobby with huge wood burning fireplace, hot tubs, pools, boat moorage and awesome restuarant on one of the most superb lakes in Washington. Snow skiiing close by and snowmobiling and so much more.

We especially love the winter festival in January and get a room with a gas fireplace. We love the small ski area in echo valley (20 minutes away) for our young son. It has a great co-op run ski and tubing area with a cozy lodge to warm up in.

Cannot say enough good things, go there and try it for yourself.

• Stayed: January 2004
2  Thank hula40
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chelan
Deep Water Inn
Lake View Hotel
#6 of 8 in Chelan
Mountain View Lodge & Resort
No photo provided

Been to Campbell's Resort on Lake Chelan? Share your experiences!