“Great little gem tucked away in Chehalis”

Mackinaws Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 58 Restaurants in Chehalis
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Description: Unique meats and fish selections from the Pacific Northwest; catering; located in an historic restored hotel. A man cave on site serving beer and wine. Chef Laurel Khan.
“Great little gem tucked away in Chehalis”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

Very nice atmosphere. Tiny little place tucked away here in Chehalis WA and the food is wonderful. All the flavor of any upscale restaurant in bigger cities. Would highly recommend it!

• Visited August 2013

Chehalis
“Excellent dinner!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

This is a dinner-only restaurant in downtown Chehalis. I'd call the decor kind of "lodge-type" (fishing, hunting, wildlife decor). We have been here several times and always had good meals. The menu is small and everything is freshly made. My favorite is probably the chicken ravioli (though everything I've tried has been good). I think this is one of the few really high-quality restaurants in the Centralia/Chehalis area.

Visited January 2014
Coos Bay
“Cooks and Chefs”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

Many people are cooks, even good cooks, but it is rare to find a place where there is a Chef.
When friends took us to Mackinaws in Chehalis, we knew they had a Chef. The room was not
very big, had dark walls, exposed brick and quiet charm. We were warned that there would be
waiting time, and it was very long. Then the ordered fondu came and I hadn't had one since
Miami in the 70's ! Great way to start a meal, especially if you are famished. My husband had ordered short ribs and they were served very differently from the usual fare; on a bed of rice
which was flavored deliciously, he said, and he is hard to please. Hardly any bones either. I had
ordered a flat iron steak, being interested in seeing what they would do with it. Could not have
been done better; It was served carved, pink inside and very tender and moist. Asparagus on
the side was a nice companion to the generous steak, along with a small amount of wonder-
fully done potatoes au gratin. A very nice meal prepared by one of those rare Chefs. Oh, yes,
the beer and wine were fine also. We'd love to go back.

• Visited September 2013
San Francisco, California
“Unexpected delight”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

I was in Chehalis for a work project- a decidedly salt-of-the-earth farming job. That's the kind of town and area this is. Really beautiful, but I certainly wasn't expecting couture cuisine! Mackinaws has to be hands-down the best restaurant in the stretch of area between Portland & Seattle. It's kind of a shame that it's somewhat "remote" and more people don't have access to this gem. The menu is seasonal and we were there on the last day of the homemade peach ice cream. I was STUFFED from my meal and yet I still could have eaten another serving of the perfect, creamy, peachy yumminess- it was that divine.

• Visited July 2013
New York City, New York
“Excellent Find in Chehalis”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

Looking for a spot in Chehalis with delicious food and a comfortable setting, we drove down N. Market Blvd that had a few options and decided on Mackinaws because of their offerings that evening. Walnut crusted Wild Sockeye Salmon with potatoes and veggies and Chicken Ravioli drew us into the restaurant. The food was beyond our expectations. The meal started with warm bread and herb garlic butter. Both meals came with a starter salad (although if you don't want the salad they will take off $5 for the dish). Although the menu lacked on how the veggies or potatoes would be prepared, we were extremely impressed with what was presented when the dishes were served. The chicken ravioli with pesto ricotta cheese in a thyme cream sauce was almost deconstructed ravioli with the pasta at the bottom of the dish, dollops of the ricotta and then roasted chicken and zucchini pieces swimming in the delicious cream sauce. I only wished there was more chicken. Just be sure to make reservations if you want to sit in the main dining room otherwise the other option is the man cave where you still have the same menu and excellent service but a completely different ambience. I was a little disappointed about this considering a number of the reserved tables were still empty by the time we left. Overall, a very nice dinner with delicious food just wish they managed their walk-in and reserved seatings better to accommodate more people in the dining room.

• Visited August 2013