“Railfan recommended - One issue, resolved quickly.”

Holiday Inn Express Suites Chehalis - Centralia
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Chehalis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Brooklyn, New York
“Railfan recommended - One issue, resolved quickly.”
Reviewed October 20, 2010

Main reason to stay here was the close proximity to Mount St Helens and the BNSF Freight Train Mainline. I am a avid railfan - and after reading other reviews on tripadvisor, I chose this property to stay at. Arrived late from SEA-TAC airport, Checked in - and recieved the exact room I wanted - Top floor facing the Railroad, Window did open so you could hear the train at night, But it wasn't very loud. If you look on a map there is 2 set's of tracks near the hotel, the one that is closest is a storage track for unused freight cars, the farther one is the BNSF Mainline. You can see the BNSF & Amtrak trains going North and South from Seattle to Portland, but as far as noise level - It's more relaxing than bothersome... Hotel is a fairly new property, everything was in good working order and in good shape. Indoor Pool & Hot Tub was very relaxing as well. Breakfast area was kept full and clean. Parking lot well lit, and property is maintained... Easy access off the interstate, and highway noise is not a issue.

Only issue I had is that I checked into the Hotel around 2am. Got up in the morning, never recieved my newspaper as I am a member of their priority club. Left the room in the morning only to return to a hotel room that recieved no housekeeping service. Bed was not made, towels were not changed out. Placed a call to the front desk to complain, and was directed to come downstairs and retrieve my own set of sheets as the housekeeping staff took up for the day. Made a formal complaint with the housekeeping staff with the front desk To my suprise the hotel manager was at the property, took my sheets and took care of the towels and sheets himself. In my many years staying at hotels all over the US, this was the 1st time I saw the Hotel Manager step up to the plate and take care of the situation at hand. He adjusted my room price and assured me he would speak to the housekeeping staff. Made a average stay back to great stay.

Thanks again to the Manager - Todd, Also the Front Desk worker Frank when I checked in both were very friendly.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank AMTK41
tchaput, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Chehalis - Centralia, responded to this review, October 26, 2010
Hello from Chehalis. I really appreciate your honest comments about our hotel and staff. We did drop the ball concerning your housekeeping needs, and I feel it is important to accept responsibilty and do what is needed to make things right. This is something I try to do on a daily basis while encouraging my staff to do the same. I am glad that we were able to turn this experience around for you. Hope you enjoyed the Northwest and if you are ever out this way, please stop by. By the way, what happened to our Yankee's. Maybe next year. Thanks again.

Todd Chaput
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Chehalis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 8, 2010

We stayed two nights as we had some business in the area. The hotel is easily accessed from the highway. I'm very glad I read previous reviews and requested a room in the front (away from the train which runs behind the hotel). We were upgraded to a king suite equipped for disabilities. The room itself was roomy, clean and comfortable. The only problem I had was gaining entry to the room. The door is very heavy and swings inwards. It was very difficult for me to enter the room on my own in my wheelchair. When my husband would hold the door open for me, there was just barely enough room to get my wheelchair in through the entry with him flattened against the wall (still holding the door open). This part of the room is a very poor design for a wheelchair-accessible room.
Other than that, everything was fine.There is no restaurant right by the hotel, but there are a few at the next exit and a couple of places in Chehalis itself. Friendly and helpful staff. (We did not use the pool, so I don't have any feedback for that.)

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
's-Gravenzande
Reviewed September 15, 2010

Nice, newer hotel with cookies in the afternoon and clean rooms not too far from Mt. St. Helens. Rooms were nicely decorated and we like the beds with the soft and firm pillows. Breakfast is standard for every HI with enough choices for everybody.

• Stayed September 2010
tchaput, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Chehalis - Centralia, responded to this review, September 20, 2010
I would like to thank you for your positive review on our property. The trains have been an issue to some, but we do all we can to keep the noise levels down. Chehalis is a great hub to visit all that Western Washington has to offer with Mt St Helens, Mt Rainier, Seattle, Portland and the beach all within and hour and a half. Thank you again and please stop by if you are traveling through our part fo the country. Happy Travels,

Todd Chaput
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Chehalis
CA
Reviewed August 30, 2010

We called to make our reservations after 6pm the night of our arrival. The HI Corporate computers were down for making reservations (and we were told they wouldn't likely be up for a few hours) but the staff at the front desk took my name and held 2 rooms for the family. When we arrived, we were greeted warmly and were in our rooms in under 15 minutes (car unpacked too). We needed extra towels, pillows and blankets (4 adults, 5 kids, we needed more than your typical room supplies) and these were brought up in under 10 minutes! We were given a few options for dinner close by (now it was after 9pm) but we missed the pool hours (kids wanted to swim). We decided to go to the pool in the morning and it was wonderful. Breakfast (included) was fantastic, more options than we'd seen in many hotels/motels we'd stayed in along our road trip, and the staff was right there to see that each guest had anything they were looking for.

The rooms were spacious, beds clean and comfortable, plenty of room for kids and adults to sleep and play some too.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 22, 2010

When combined with good price, clean room and friendly staff, it's a 5 stars all over. Love this place.

• Stayed July 2010
washington state
Reviewed August 8, 2010

A large group of us stayed there for the Seattle to Portland bicycle ride. I can't tell you all the things that make this place so wonderful. Was it meeting us at door with a cold drink or a beer? Or was it the free bike storage, the food made just for hungry bikers, stations for bike maintainance? Yes, those things were all excellent and over the top service but the most amazing part was the friendly helpful attitude of everyone on the management and staff. They were amazing. I have traveled all over the world and never had his kind of service. This is the only place I would stay if I were riding the STP.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Vancouver, WA
Reviewed August 8, 2010

I stay at Holiday Inns a LOT. They are my favorite brand. So when I pulled into this parking lot, I was happy to see it was new and clean. I had asked for a quiet room and they assured me it was on the quiet side--away from the trains. Indeed, no problems there. The room is really nice--although calling it a "suite" because they have a sofa bed a 3'x3' wall partition is really playing fast and loose with the definition of a suite--just a basic room with a sofa and a fridge. But still, very nice.

The trouble is the air conditioning unit, which hums like crazy if it's on or if any of your neighbor's is using it. It's like the sound of a neighbor's car with a diesel engine, or maybe a lawn mower. There is nothing that I could adjust on the A/C or fan(and the front desk only meekly apologized), and ear plugs did not help.

This problem might be just confined to certain rooms--I had room 312--so other guests may not notice it. But if you have such a room, it's a dealbreaker. Take your chances--otherwise, the hotel is really nice but, if you can't sleep well, then the hotel fails at its job.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank LetsGooooooo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chehalis
Best Western Plus Park Place Inn & Suites
#3 of 4 in Chehalis
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#5 of 11 in Centralia

Been to Holiday Inn Express Suites Chehalis - Centralia? Share your experiences!