“Great hotel but don't bother with the package deal”

Olympic Club Hotel & Theater
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Centralia
Reviewed September 6, 2008

We stayed here for one night and loved the hotel, theater and bar. It was a great place to break up our journey. The room was imaculate and the bathroom which was shared was constantly being cleaned. The bar is good fun and the staff were very friendly. We also went to see a film as it was part of our package. I would generally say that it would be best to go for the room rather than a package and then this doesn't limit your choice when your there.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed January 6, 2008

After having stayed at McMenamin's in McMinnville, OR, I knew the Olympic Club would be a treat, and it was.

I really liked the McMenamin process of refurbishing an old building into a hotel/pub, with vintage appointments that weren't shabby or dusty. All the rooms have portraits of local personalities and celebrities painted onto the walls, along with interesting quotes. The rooms typically are furnished in a retro, homey style which I found appealing.

The bathrooms are shared. They were clean, roomy, and in good supply for the number of rooms served.

I found the hotel to be quiet, even with the pub/restaurant downstairs.

The Olympic club had a large pub/restaurant on street level; to access the rooms you go out of the pub and enter a set of doors to the right, and ascend a wide stair case to the upper level. I do not remember there being an elevator, but there might have been.

What I liked most was the cinema/pub. It was a large room with a movie screen, but instead of rows of chairs there where wicker and bamboo couches and chairs with little tables between them. Servers bring your beverages and food to you from the restaurant/pub while you're watching the movie. I cannot remember if smoking was allowed in the cinema/pub (I'm a former smoker, but don't begrudge those who smoke.)

Check in and check out were problem-free, courteous and efficient. The bartender took care of the check-in/out for me.

Overall, I don't know what the heck there is to do in Centralia as I was just passing through, but if you're going to stay somewhere in this town, McMenamins Olympic Club is it.

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled solo
2  Thank JFPARKER
Reviewed November 8, 2007

We walked into teh establishment and problems started right off. It was difficult to find where the counter was. Once we found it we were helped. We entered our room which was very dark and old. Even with all the lights on it was so dark. It was very clean, but not what I was expecting at all. If you don't mind a noisy hotel where you have to share a bathroom with everyone who stays there, then you may like it. The trains and people were so noisy that I did not sleep at all. I would not recommend this hotel, unless you plan on visiting the pub and don't want to drive anywhere.

Stayed: November 2007
1  Thank lyoungcat
Reviewed September 24, 2007

Had a pleasant stay at the Olympic Club Hotel Sept. 21. We had room #5, the Lester Webster room. Bed was excellent, ala 3 Bears ( just right). Enjoyed the thick robes provided. Laughed our way through the Movie of the evening in the comfy, attached theatre. Only caveat, the trains do run regularly...and frequently, so make use of the earplugs in the bedside drawer. After all, this is quite an old Hotel. The stairs are substantial, and bathrooms on the hall. Clean and interesting, fun place. A good value for Quality lodging. Looking forward to another stay. Hubqueen.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hubqueen
Reviewed April 10, 2007

The last two times my wife and I ate at the Olympic Club we have witnessed a declined in the quality and quantity, last night was the last straw. The service was slow, the server said he had math problem that had slowed him up, and as he took our orders he wrote nothing down consequently both orders were wrong. My halibut and chips had been cook in fry oil that was long over due for changing, the breading was not completely cooked and the filets could more accurately be described as nuggets. My wife’s chicken wrap and salad came with about two tea spoons of dressing and not much more chicken. I can’t help but think back to when it was just known to the locals as the “O” and it served the best breakfast in town.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank oldguyWinlockWa
Reviewed March 16, 2006

My wife and I just returned from staying at the Olympic. We spent two nights in Centralia with the first night being in a motel out by the freeway. Not only was the room more expensive there it was noiser than the train by the Olympic. We enjoyed the room and really enjoyed the theater with the overstuffed chairs but I really enjoyed the architecture of the building and its rich woodwork and stained glass. The old belt driven ceiling fans, the tall wood stove and the tables roughened by time all added to the character of the place. We definitly plan on going back and look forward to visiting their other properties.

• Stayed: March 2006
7  Thank 75cougar
A TripAdvisor Member
Chehalis, Washington
Reviewed February 1, 2006

The almost 100 year old property is huge, old, haunted, and filled with the most off-the-wall and fun people and activities. We went to the $3.00 movie and sat on couches with our fresh-juice cocktails while our food was delivered to us. The rooms were extremely clean and well maintained. Although the bathrooms were down the hall, European-style, they were positioned close to the rooms and were also very clean and well-stocked.

The staff at the Olympic Club is fun, quirky, and obviously love to work there. The bartenders are extremely knowledgeable and suggested the most wonderful concoctions (Cuban Kamikazes, anyone?). The music is funky, with a jukebox in the immense pool hall that is also filled with antique pool tables and benches. There are two bars, tons of Tiffany-style glass and leaded windows, and old wood and wrought iron everywhere.

We loved it, and we'll be back.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Centralia
Holiday Inn Express Suites Chehalis - Centralia
#1 of 10 in Centralia
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#7 of 10 in Centralia

Been to Olympic Club Hotel & Theater? Share your experiences!