“Worth leaving Great Wolf for a meal here!”
Review of Lupe's Hot Tamales

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Lupe's Hot Tamales
Ranked #33 of 87 Restaurants in Centralia
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Just a 10-12 minute drive from Great Wolf Lodge, this little hidden gem was worth paying a visit. Great food. Muy sabroso!! Nice service. Terrific value. Loved the homemade tortillas. The refried beans were what refried beans are meant to be.

Portions were huge, but they had takeout containers for us to bring leftovers back to our hotel fridge for a snack later. Burritos were gigantic and delicious - many choices of meat filling for burritos and tacos -- all the usual plus lengua (tongue) and cabeza (beef cheek). Perfect for both the cautious and adventurous eater alike.

The jamaica (hibiscus drink) and the horchata (sweet rice milk drink) came in comically huge, glass steins. Again, they had to-go cups for what we couldn't finish.

Highly recommend!!!

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Fresh, tasty, authentic. We ate here 4 times in 5 days. Larger portions, baskets of chips and great salsas, also had Vegan choices. Excellent!

1  Thank JunkGirls
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I tried this restaurant after having the tamales at the local farmer's market then reading the 5-star reviews on Yelp, but I regretted the decision after I spent 2 minutes there. I walked in and the place was empty with a young woman wiping down the table. I stood near the entrance, waiting for her to acknowledge me and ask me to sit down but instead she looked at me and went to the back and set down her rag. The ladies in the kitchen looked at me through the service window with a look of annoyance and continued to yell at each other. I thought about walking out, but I tried to keep an open mind, so I stood there for a few more moments, hoping to be seated. The server returned to the dining area, walked to a table and said "is this okay?" no smile, no greeting, no attempt to hide the fact that she ignored me when I walked in the first time.

I sat down and was served chips and slaw, which were okay, average quality. I looked at the menu, which was very simple but featured a lot of great selections. The price of carnitas was $12, which I thought was a little high considering the shabby atmosphere and I was already a bit put off by the cold reception I'd received, but I thought it was a safe bet since I haven't met many carnitas I didn't like. Besides, I ordered Lupe's special carnitas so they have to be good, right? It crossed my mind that the special might be that they spit in them, but I don't think that was the case. I made two orders, one for carnitas and one to-go order of tamales. Three sauces were brought to the table, a tomatillo sauce, a spicy, green sauce, and a peanut sauce. The carnitas with the sauces were really good, and it looked like the tortillas were handmade. I was surprised to find they were so good, and the portion was perfect. They were not as good as La Tarasca's, a little on the greasy side, but I enjoyed them immensely nonetheless.

After I was finished, I sat at the table waiting for the bill. The young woman was rolling silverware in napkins, so I guessed she was waiting for the tamales to get done before she gave me the bill or came to see if I was finished. Truth be told, I was hoping she would come to the table to ask if I wanted dessert, which I did, but alas, it was never meant to be. I sat there for a few minutes waiting, then finally realized maybe I was supposed to pay up front. I went to the counter where she was rolling napkins and asked if I could pay my bill and whether the tamales were ready to go. I paid my bill, and she handed me a bag of three tamales for $3 apiece.

I brought them home and my boyfriend was not impressed. He makes fantastic tamales so he was disappointed by the lack of meat, flavor, and price for the portions. The verdict is... I will not return. Though the carnitas were very good, they weren't as good as La Tarasca's, not to mention the tamales, which are always fresh and delicious at La Tarasca's. For the price, I could have received a grand feast(!) at Tacos El Rey, and wouldn't have had an expectation for service. If you are just traveling through, this should be your third choice under the two I mentioned if you're in the mood for Mexican food.

1  Thank Anna S