“Best Chinese ...”

Shanghai Cafe
Ranked #44 of 87 Restaurants in Centralia
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed June 29, 2014

My family has been coming to the Shanghai Cafe for Chinese food since I can remember. I think, at first, it was just because they were close. Then, after trying other places, we realized it's because the food is fabulous! I've lived in other states and have had the chance to try other restaurants, only to be disappointed. After having started going there 30+ years ago, I still enjoy the Shanghai Cafe!!

Reviewed June 14, 2014

I am not a big fan of Chinese food and prefer Thai but went here with some family members who live in Centralia and said that the food was good. I really enjoy ethnic foods and will try just about anything so I am not a picky eater but this food was terrible, bland, dry, overcooked, and in some cases it tasted like it was left over and reheated from a few days ago. This was without a doubt the worst Chinese food I have ever tasted and could not in good conscience recommend it to anyone.

1  Thank Mace648
Reviewed March 25, 2014

We had just arrived in town and were looking for something to eat. We were famished and ready for a good meal. Sadly, this wasn’t the place we should have gone. We were also quite thirsty. We were seated and given tea but no water. I requested water and it came in a plastic mug that didn’t quite taste right.

The menu was confusing because the pages were loose in the folder and some of the pages were repeats. We also found some of the menu items they no longer have.

My husband ordered something spicy, he liked it but later he didn’t feel so good. And his order was mostly full of vegetables and not meat as he had hoped.

I had pork fried rice. I can’t eat anything breaded so it was the safest choice. Unfortunately my rice was bland and the pork tasted like it was left over from the day before and quite dry. I ate what I could, but ate little.

I can’t recommend eating here. But the place was busy so other people must like it.

Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

Ordered take out during a visit. Staff was great. Location a bit odd, but I'm not from there. Food was great.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

Shanghai Cafe is one of the oldest running businesses in Centralia, Washington. First opening in 1929, Shanghai has since changed its ownership only once. In 1991, Song and Young Ok purchased Shanghai Cafe and added their own unique recipies and warm friendly service. Shanghai Cafe prides itself on being a small family operated business. Shanghai believes fast and friendly service, fresh ingredients, and a family atomosphere are key in creating a great dining experience. The previous info gives the background on this small yet unique dining opportunity. My husband, boys and I have been eating at the Shanghai for over 20 years. Our boys grew up reading the placemats to look up what "animal" year they were born in. It is so nice to be treated like family. The food is delicious! Check out Family Style for three!

1  Thank mowogray