“First time visit”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I used my apps to find a restaurant close to the freeway so we could off and on, and liked the name of the Country Cousin. Seeing the parking lot full, I imagined the place may just have good food, or it was busy due to being right off the freeway. We had to wait less than 3 minutes for a table. The food is homemade and delicious! Our food server, was very polite, and took care of our needs. The decor is very homey, and welcoming. Country style and I will stop in there again the next time I am heading that way.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

We've been coming here for over 10 years, off and on. It isn't what it was. Well ... the decor still is. It could use some deep cleaning. It is dark, cluttered and not all that cheery. I got a *closed in* feeling walking though the place, like I was entering a confined space. The staff, however, is attentive and get their jobs done. The food? Not so much.

I had the chili burger and the other half had the bacon cheese burger. Both had a rather pathetic paddy of what looked like hamburger (slime burger maybe?), it had little if any taste to it. The chili was watery (watered down?) and tasteless. All the french fries were sodden. The other half's burger was about the same. Instead of watery chili, she had watery lettuce. With made her burger a sodden mess.

We both tried the soup-of-the-day, which was chicken soup. The, what looked like, home made noodles were pretty good. However ... the bits of saliva sucking chicken detracted from the over all experience.

I give it a two dot because of the staff. They treated us well. As far as the food goes? Go somewhere else. It is way over priced for what they serve. This would be a great candidate for one of those Restaurant Rescue shows.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

The decor in this kitschy corner is always terrific (we recommend the motorcycle ads table) and the service is very good. Food has stayed consistenly very good for the last twelve years and the hickory ham steak is a good choice. Excellent bread pudding, very good and generous omelets and fun offerings like yak make it a must stop for good food and great fun.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

The good reviews MUST be posted by staff or friends. Unless Centralia TOTALLY suckas and there is nothing decent. We came here based on the reviews and feel totally deceived.

This place is a "country" dust collector. The place feels, old, dusty and dirty. The menus are sticky, the tables are sticky , the waitresses are tacky. What more do you not need? The fabric covered light fixture over out booth was nasty. The restrooms were nasty and then there was this "classy" bar attached to the palce - not. Inlaid photos of Mount St Helens exploding 33 years ago was just not required in the tables - really - get new tables.

The grilled cheese was burnt BLACK and still served. Chicken nuggets were from the grocery store and not even cooked. Fries counted out at about 10 per serving. "Special" open face roast beef was grissle on gocery store white bread with thick gloppy "gravy". THe only decent thing was a burger but the potato salad was store bought and GROSS.

DO NOT waste your money and this nasty throw back. I'd rather have eat at McDOnalds or any other fast food place in town. Really. The reviews here are FAKE.

2  Thank coffeechik
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Every time we head south from Seattle to the Oregon coast we stop at Country Cousin to get a substantial meal that will hold us until evening. It's good home cooking like my mom and grandma used to serve us. Fresh ingredients served piping hot. The fried chicken is out of this world. The meatloaf is a slice, or two, of heaven. The turkey and dressing dinners are fantastic. The service is always wonderful and many of the staff recognize us as regulars. If you're headed north or south on I-5 you have to stop to eat here. Only downside is that the portions are so big I don't have room for dessert - but I can live with that. Our five year old daughter likes to share a fried chicken dinner with either my wife or myself. Only bad side to that is she eats all the country style green beans.