“Closed the water park during our stay. There are MANY DISSATISFIED Customers because they can't get their act together. Some kid” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Centralia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2011

It sucks sorry. This is not caddyshack in 1970 something. The hotel needs to put some freaking chemicals In the water and let us have some fun.

• Stayed February 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank sadman1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
Mountlake Terrace, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2011

We just had the basic room, two queens and a pullout sofa (which is a hard sleep). And that is what it was..basic. For over 270.00(including tax), I expected something dazzling. Nope. Dont do the pay per view. Bring a laptop and dvds. They are clean though. The nice thing were the little fridge and microwave..bring your own food, as dinner/lunch/snacks are pricey. We did get the breakfast buffet and it was a kids dream...cereal dispensers, made to order omelets, smoothies, fruit galore, everything for every tastebud..the waitstaff were incredibly nice. That was worth the 43.00 for 3 adults and 2 kiddies. There is a starbucks (Thank you!!) and the staff there were funny and provided excellent service...The gift shop was a hit or miss in terms of price, but they did have some kid (and wallet) friendly momentos. The waterpark was awesome! Since we were there during a weekday, there were no lines. You can also stay until 9pm after check out to play in the waterpark. The wave pool, all the slides, and baby friendly areas are great. Towels towels towels. No worry there.
They also have a wizard thing that requires purchase of wand. This costs over 38 per kid!!! They run around the hotel pointing that wand at certain objects, getting clues for the next object. Now, thats fun, but should be included in the room purchase. It was kind of outrageous how you pay a lot of money for a below average room, and then have to purchase "extras". That are not cheap. Far from it. Its not Disneyland, but it acts like it. Oh there is also a gr8space area for kids 12 and up. Thats 10 dollars per kid. Its just video games and whatnot, but a nice break for the older ones. Also an arcade, Chuckie cheese type. Watch out for that. I can say that the staff in all areas were the best. But if you are going to stay there, make it one night. The kids can play in the waterpark in the afternoon till evening, enjoy the animated storytime in the lobby (younger set)and play again until 9pm next day. Dont bother with the free computer service in the lobby..its terribly slow. Oh, and if you need cheap eats, there are plenty in the area surrounding the hotel.

1 Thank misssmartypants00
GWL_Management, General Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, February 8, 2011
Thank you for sharing this review with us. We are very glad that you enjoyed the waterpark and breakfast buffet. We are particularly proud that you had such nice things to say about our pack members.

Finally, thank you for sharing money saving tips such as bringing your own food and using the wet bars in each suite. That is a great way for our guests to save during their stay. We hope you will join us again soon!

Lake Stevens, WA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2011

So, two years later, we decided to visit the Great Wolf Lodge again. This time we stayed for just one night and opted for the Wolf Den Suite. We went on a Friday night, and we went knowing it would be crowded, but seriously, it was way more crowded then I could have ever imagined. One night really is perfect if you can get to the hotel early. You can use the waterpark starting at 1pm on your arrival date, until closing time the next day.

Regarding the waterpark, the good things are it is clean, lots of lifeguards, and a well balance of things to do for most everyone in the family. Bad things - I was a little disappointed that the small children's area was overrun with older kids quite often. This area is for kids under 48" tall and everytime I turned around, there were bigger kids trampling over the little ones. One or Two of the lifeguards took time to move these kids out, but for the most part it was overlooked.
Regarding the hotel: Good - we got there early on Friday(about 1pm) and the check in wasn't long at all. Last time we waited a very long time. I did notice as the day went on, it got pretty long. Our room wasn't ready, which I expected, so they said they would call us when it was and we headed to the waterpark. Only problem with that is for whatever reason, after we got the call, we went directly to the room and our keys didn't work, so we had to go stand in line to get that fixed. The Wolf Den room was great. Our daughter loved the bunkbed. The room is spacious, clean, fridge is nice size, has all the amenities we needed. The rooms are suprisingly quiet for as many kids that are running around the place. The Staff - very amazingly friendly people and very helpful.
Bad - the Beds....I don't know what it was but they are very uncomfortable. I think they should really look into getting some new mattresses. The elevators - ugh, probably the thing I complained about the most. Literally, there are three and if you are there like we were, on a weekend, you will be walking the stairs constantly or standing and waiting for 15 minutes. Seriously, that was insane. Cub Club - I get the idea of this place, but really, there should be a few more free activities than color sheets. A craft project that is free would be nice...even if it was just something simple.
We did not eat onsite. It is convenient, but seriously, the pricing is crazy. There are plenty of restaurants outside the hotel(in driving distance) that have better food and better prices.
We did not watch the storytime as it was just too crowded to actually get a spot to see and it was during a good time to be in the waterslide park (6pm-8pm).
So, will we go back? Most likely, but I will never ever go on a weekend again. It was serious chaos....Just way to crowded...plus midweek has better rates.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
We appreciate that you took the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay at Great Wolf Lodge. It is great to hear that your family enjoyed their stay, for the most part. Your comments have been forwarded to the appropriate members of our management staff. We do our best during our busiest periods to keep crowds under control, and the elevator situation that you mention is something that we are discussing.

We hope to host your family again soon!

meme15
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2011

I've never had so much fun while staying in one place. Between the indoor waterpark and the magiquest game, there was not a bored moment. My kids stayed so busy throughout the day that by bedtime they were worn out. I loved the winter theme inside, it was beautiful and the "snow" was fun. We are looking forward to our next stay at the lodge.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing your review. We are looking forward to when you stay with us again!

Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2011

My family and I just returned from the Great Wolf Lodge and we had a great time. It my wife, myself, 6 year old son and two nieces (14 and 11 years old) on this trip, which was our 2nd time to GWL in the last three years. We learned from our 1st trip that staying two nights was one night too long (because you've explored all the rides, etc. by then) to we only stayed one night. This still allowed us to arrive at noon, check in, and begin using the waterpark and services by mid-day and continue through the next day until the park closes.

I've read all the previous negative reviews for the GWL at this location, and I have to say most of those reviewers must be really picky. In my opinion, the GWL is a very nice facility with very clean, and quiet rooms. We didn't hear a peep from our neighbors (and the hotel was at 90%+ capacity) and everything was just great. Sure, the price of the room is higher than a typical hotel, but you're paying for the atmosphere, park admission, and convenience of being AT the park! So far as other posters reporting, "... there's a lot of walking", I'm not sure what that is about. Everything is contained inside the hotel, so once you enter you don't need to leave to access the restaurants, waterpark, rides, shops, etc. Everything is in very close proximity so if you think the walks are "long" you're just plain out of shape!

My son love all the water slides and the wave pool, and the big arcade game room is also a nice break from the water action. There are two main eateries inside the hotel, one offers buffet-style for breakfast and dinner and the other is a bar & grille that offers lunch and dinner. We ate dinner at the buffet which was OK in my opinion, but not that great. Lunch at the grille was better, and actually quite good. Prices are what you would expect at such amusement park establishments, so don't be surprised.

The waterpark basically has two water slides for the younger kids and three different water slides for the older kids (42" and 48" minimum height). The Howlin' Tornado ride was a blast, especially when you enter the gigantic funnel. It's especially fun at night when the funnel is pitch black except for some blinking neon lights and blaring rock music.

There's a wave pool that has waves moving in one direction for one mode of operation, and later the waves move more randomly in all directions. You can actually body surf some of these waves if you want.

There is also another smaller pool with basketball hoops and several fixed objects for the kids to sit in in the water.

Finally, there's a small pool area for the tiny tots and a hot tub area. What's nice, is that GWL also has lockers which you can rent, and a big changing area where you can take a shower in individual stalls to wash off the chlorine from your body.

Also, the first time we stayed at the hotel we booked a "Kids Cabin" theme room which had a queen bed, pullout sofa bed, and a small separate area with three bunkbeds for the kids with their own flat screen TV on the wall. That was nice, but this time around we decided to save a bit of money and get the basic room which was two queen beds and a pullout sofa bed. This was also good, and worked well for all of us.

One negative was that the WiFi connection at the hotel was really, really slow. Especially at night. So don't expect to have a speedy WiFi connection to do any real web surfing.

In all, it was a nice one-night stay for my family and my kids had a good time. It's also not too far from Seattle (our home base) so it makes for a quick drive from the big city. If it's your first time, I recommend you try staying in one of the kids theme rooms. If you want to save some money on meals, you can always bring your own food (there's a small fridge and microwave oven in the room) or go outside the park to the hamburger joint called "Burger Claim" (within walking distance) or further down to a mexican restaurant or the Quizno's shop.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
We appreciate your positive review of Great Wolf Lodge. It is wonderful that your family enjoyed the waterpark, arcade and dining options. The wireless internet connection is something that we are working on improving and hope to have resolved soon.

We look forward to hosting you and your family again soon!

Bothell, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2011

What can I say about this hotel....it is GREAT to go with kids!!!

I'm on this site today and thought I'd write a review. I'm not even going to check the others, I know that this is by far one of the best places we've ever taken the kids. We've stayed there 4 times!

It's an hour and a half from our house in the Seattle area. Not too far for an ancy kid, or drive during nap time for those that still nap. One time we told our kids we'd be going to a great park for the day, but secretly packed the bags into the car. When we rounded the corner and my son saw the Dairy Queen up the street he got excited and said "is that it?!". Oh no, we said and drove farther down the street. :)

When you get there, expect to not step out of the hotel the rest of your trip. The lobby is fun to look at all the little details. The check in can be daunting, but line moves fast. I have found that if you stay in a larger room, you can get in quicker. The cheaper rooms usually have to wait until check in.

We have stayed in the 1 bedroom suite and the 2 bedroom suite. We chose a separate bedroom primarily because our youngest napped and we could put him in there to nap while we were still in the room. He doesn't nap anymore and find we still love the extra rooms! They are HUGE!!! Having 2 separate bedrooms for a family of 4 is ideal. Either 2 kids in the twin beds, or else parent/child to each room. There is a pull out sofa sleeper too. One room has it's own bathroom. We have had a room with a balcony which is great in the summer as you can put your swim suit out there to dry. I'm sure some of the rooms on the lower floors near the Magiquest/elevators are loud, but we've always found it to be very quiet.

One fun thing in the room is that they have "still in theater" movies that you can rent. Which is very fun for the kids to pick something current they have been wanting to see. One time my husband/child rented Up in their room, other child slept in the master room, I read in the living room. It was so comfortable!!

Waterpark: amazingly clean. The locker rooms aren't so much, what can you expect with a bunch of wet feet and toilet paper. My complaint is that there are no changing tables, so I have to get on the cement with a small child to change him. It is so warm in there, they have a snack are and bar too. Great for all ages. There are life vests for those kids that are still wary of the water. Staff everywhere. Store in case you need something (shoes, lip balm, etc...).

Magiquest: You buy a wand and play quests throughout the hotel. My 7 year old has loved this since we first started coming when he was 4. It's kind of a daddy/kid thing, I've never played. But, you can bring your wands to the restaurants, cute.

Restaurants: There's not much to pick from. The main one has a buffet for breakfast everyday and weekend dinners and maybe summer dinner weekdays? The breakfast has so much to choose from. We all show up non showered, swim suits under clothes, and fill up on sugar. My son LOVES that this is the only time he gets fruit loops. Dinner I'd rather do the regular restaurant, yummy salads, burger/fries for kids. TV's with sports on. We've never done pizza hut, but it's there. There is a bakery which is so wonderful. I have 2 kids with food allergies and there's something for both of them. They especially love the snow cone machine where you pick your flavors. I love the chocolate treats! Yes, there is a Starbucks right in the hotel.

Arcade: The cleanest I've ever been in, seriously. I think they clean it everyday? They get tickets/prizes, but it's not as crazy as a Chuck e cheese if you pick a good time of day.

Haven't done the crafts. The storytime is very cute.

Took 4 times to realize you can take your alcoholic drink to go with you, so sitting with friends/kids watching the forest show with a foofu drink is quite fun for adults too. :)

Anyway, my sons L-O-V-E this place. I can't express this enough. We have stayed 2 nights twice and 1 night twice. Staying more than once is nice because you can really take it all in, and find time to relax. I've never taken advantage of the spa, hang out with the kids as they are having such a blast. I try to go when there is a good coupon code, also try to go in the middle of the week, weekends can be much busier. The rate is room plus water park, so figure that out somewhere else. Kids keep wanting the fun bunk bed rooms, which might be another time, which puts me and husband into a smaller queen bed and then in the same room with the kids, can't stay up later.

I have heard from many people they bring their own food, there is a large fridge, microwave, and sink in the room. We have never done that. I figure if this is a vacation, have some fun with eating out!

Parking is easy, no fee, you can park close to an entrance, couple of elevators, carts to help you get to your room.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank seamom56
Thank you for taking the time to write such wonderful things about your experience at Great Wolf Lodge. We are so happy that you have had a great experience with us time and again.

Hopefully we will see your family again soon!

Tacoma, Wa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2011

My mother-in-law bought us a night at the GWL as a Christmas present. Once we booked online we decided to stay in a nicer room, so called the 1-800 number to make the change. Had a few problems with the agent on the phone, but asked for a supervisor and she corrected it all right away and comped us the $40 dollars for the extra guest. Very appreciative that she did not hesitate to make me happy! We got there to check in and 1:30 and their was a long line snaked through the lobby. At once we were offered Starbucks samples and within minute there was a someone who pulled us out of line offered bracelets so we could go straight into the waterpark and check in later. We jumped on this chance. We played around in the park for several hours and didn't even worry about checking in until the line had went down. Once we got into the room I noticed it was not as the reservation agent had said on the phone. When we called the front desk she sincerely apologized, unfortunately this hotel did not offer the 3 bathrooms and 3 TV set-up, that is offered at others. She comped our breakfast for the next morning as a courtesy. I was very impressed that they just wanted to make me happy. All of the kids loved the waterslides, the wavepool, and the activity pool. Our youngest is 9 and then we have a 13, and 2-17 year olds. Plus our 16 year old foreign exchange student. I had been warned that your in the middle of nothing and food inside the resort is expensive. There are a few places to eat close..like McDonald's, Dairy Queen, a burger place and a pizza place. We brought our own food but didn't think it was really that overpriced at all. We got ice cream for all 7of us for $20. The breakfast buffet was good and worth it and the Starbucks is the lobby is a godsend. The park is small enough you can't really lose your kids or get to tired walking around. The rooms are pretty basic but clean and serve their purpose. The lifeguards were all very friendly but took their job serious. On sunday morning we surprised our 9 year old and went and picked up his bestfriend and bought him a day pass. We bought them wands and let them play the magicquest game. A little spendy but that was their souvenir. The kids wanted to go into the teen room but said they felt a little old and so they declined. We offered to let them go in the arcade and they all said they were so tired they just wanted to go to bed.
Really was a great trip for all of us. Very family friendly! Very clean! Great service! Safe! and I have not seen all of us smile and laugh so much in a long time!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at Great Wolf Lodge. It sounds like you had a wonderful family vacation. We are most interested in hearing that even though there were a few minor issues, our pack members were able to resolve them quickly and to your expectations.

We hope you and your family will join us again soon!

Michael Lusky - General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Centralia
Olympic Club Hotel & Theater
Holiday Inn Express Suites Chehalis - Centralia
Best Western Plus Park Place Inn & Suites
Hotel RL Olympia by Red Lion
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Olympia
Peppermill Empress Inn
Peppermill Empress Inn
#3 of 11 in Centralia

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!