“Great Wolf Not All That Great”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Centralia
Redmond
“Great Wolf Not All That Great”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2009

Admittedly, this really isn't my kind of place but my daughter had to compete at a gymnastics meet here so the whole family spent a weekend at Great Wolf. The room was ridiculously overpriced at $400 for a truly mediocre suite. There were brown smears on the bathroom walls and the shower faucet handle fell off. The coffee machine was broken as well. I've stayed at Fairmont hotels for a similar price and there's no comparison. The waterslide is pretty cool, but not $400 a night cool. The chlorine odor is overwhelming, and they even have a sign warning that you may develop a rash from it (which my daughter did.) The workout facilities are primitive - avoid the elipticals at all cost!

The security is lax and the side doors do not require a key for entry. Although wristbands are supposed to be required for entry to the waterslide there is no one there to check for them and anyone could wander in if they wanted to. If your kids do happen to get sick of the waterslide, which judging from my kids takes about 4 hours, more or less, be prepared to get hit up for wads of cash. Everything else costs serious money. By the way, the hotel is just off the interstate, across from a trailer park and down the road from an industrial park, so you are pretty much stuck there once you arrive.

We really didn't have much interaction with the staff beyond the very snippy and impatient front desk clerk at check in and the cleaning staff pounding on the door at 10:55 the next morning. The one bright spot was the lifeguards in the pool area, who were plentiful and vigilant. Otherwise, the staff was minimal and minimally attentive.

Overall, there is no much value for the money at this resort. I wouldn't stay there again, given the choice.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Price
3 Thank nottoosavvy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
Monroe, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2009

We spent 2 nights at the Lodge, a Friday & Saturday, to celebrate our daughter's 5th birthday. The hotel decorated our door, and had a gift bag waiting for her inside. (This reservation was my by Grandpa, and might have been an add on.)
She loved everything about this place, the waterpark, the arcade, the shows in the lobby. We enjoyed it too, and will deffinately make a return trip.
I do have a couple gripes though; The hotel says Hybernation hours (quiet time) is from 11pm - 7am, yet there's a Disco for teenagers on the 2nd floor, and no security in the halls (no cameras to be seen either) to keep the running, giggling, and yelling down. On the second night we had a gymnastics competition at the hotel, and it was packed with energetic young girls. The noise in the hall seemed to get worse, and the doors opening and slamming shut over & over again could easily be heard in our room. Our 18 month old was awakened more than once.
The sink and vanity is in the hall in the Wolf Den suite, which was nice, but the tub/shower/toilet area felt like a cramped closet when trying to bathe youngsters and hand them off to your spouse to dry.
Mid week prices are cheaper, and won't have the gymnastics competitions, (I hope) so we'll deffinately go again. The baby loved it so much he cried whenever we took off his life vest.

• Liked — Variety of activities for children
  • Disliked — Noise in the hall at night
5 Thank WaMamaof2
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2009

This was a fill-in trip until we go back to Disneyland this Spring, maybe that led me to some unfair expectations. We reserved a "Kids Cabin" room and expected to have a great time, assuming that the price reflected the level of service, we were wrong... After checking in we went to our assigned room and promptly woke someone up, not only were we sent to the wrong room but the wrong room type as well. The second room we were sent to the door key wouldn't work, the third time I had a manager come with us.

Once we got into the room we discovered the TV was broken, maintenance was called to fix it and after they left I put the wires back in place behind the TV, give me a break! The manager comped us dinner and a couple of hours of in-room Nintendo time for our kids, turns out the Nintendo thing was turned off to our room. In all I needed to visit the front desk 5 times during our first few hours, granted all the walking was a great workout but it did eventually get old!

In spite of all that we did have a good time, the kids loved the water park and they have a neat in-house scavenger hunt game called Magic Quest that they loved as well. The restaurants on the property are all very good, expensive, but good. We spent just over $1200 staying there for two nights and eating, buying shirts, etc... Although we did have fun I'm not sure we will ever go back simply due to the check-in experience, it really was that bad.

• Liked — Kid focused atmosphere
  • Disliked — Check-in, some staff
3 Thank fyrguy

Travelers are raving about these Centralia hotels

Camas, Washigton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2009

My husband was attending a conference for work, so we decided to tag along 4 girls 17,17,10 & 8. My husband arrived early for his workshop and checked us in, the lines were very long at check in our whole weekend, I believe I did not see more than 2 staff at the desk the whole time on a sold out weekend. We ate at the buffet Saturday night very expensive and the food was not very good $96.00 with out tip. Our service was terrible with very rude staff. (Who I assume have not been taught to not argue with your customers.) You are not able to fill your own drinks you have to wait for your server, we finally got our drinks at the end of our meal. The buffet was running out of food and only had one bus boy on staff to clean tables, again on a sold out weekend, we did eat breakfast in the buffet the next morning and it was a much better experience, also found out the food is cheaper during the week. I did speak with the hotel manager on duty and he discounted our meal, but that did not make up for how we were treated along with the rest of the guest. Room was average hotel style, kids enjoyed the scented bath soap, it was never replaced during our visit, so we only had one small hotel type bottle. Hotel ran out of extra pillows and did not bring our requested extra blankets. I would recommend bringing your own snacks to save on money ( kids got very hungry after swimming) Friday was not very busy in the water, but Saturday and Sunday were packed and made me feel unsafe with my little ones in the wave pool ( I am sure it was over capacity). I asked a hotel staff and they recommended a visit during school days and the hotel would be much slower and more enjoyable. The arcade was fun, but again very expensive everything $.50 or more and mostly more. We did not participate in the MagicQuest
but saw many who were, it almost a crazy with kids running everywhere. Request a room away from the elevators where the MagicQuest takes place.

• Liked — Everything in one place
  • Disliked — Very expensive
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank ramireztribe
marysville wa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2009

I was very impressed with the staff, the cleanliness, and the whole experience. The great wolf lodge felt very much like a resort. Kids had a wonderfull time...lots to do...i felt very safe with the constant watchfull eyes of lifeguards. I'm hard to please and this place was great. The staff was really genuine and helpfull. Super nice. super clean. There are two restaurants at the lodge. One was a "grill and bar" VERY good food the other was the buffett. we had our breakfast there and it was awful. The only bad thing i had to say. The food was really bad except for the made to order omlets. One other note is they have a game for kids to play that involves a wand and hunting for clues. I wasnt going to shell out the $20 bucks for it. My kids uncle did anyways and it was a lot of fun...worth it I thought. ....I would not stay for more than one night. They do let you check in early and check out late and that was enough.

• Liked — great for the kids
  • Disliked — the Buffet dinning was horrible
2 Thank johnandleesa
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2009

My husband, I, and our 6 year old daughter live in the Seattle area. Our persistent gray skies finally got to me and I felt the need for a quick getaway. While just over an hour away, it did feel like a complete world away. It was our first time there.

The first thing we noticed was how packed the parking lot was. Once we got inside, it was very noisy, with kids everywhere. Which is good, because I don't have to worry about my kid being the noisy one, but also a bit of a shock because I thought I was going to a hotel and failed to adjust my expectations before arriving!

The waterpark is very fun. We played there 2 days, but I expect a 3rd day might have gotten boring. There was plenty for kids of all ages and adults. The tornado ride, with min. height 48", was a screamer!
What really made the trip was the MagiQuest. I am not a person who can be in the water all day. So it was nice that my daughter could do a sort of high tech treasure hunt with the wand, and we ended up walking around the place a ton. If you don't mind a lot of kid noise, it's really a great quick getaway.
The rooms are spendy, but the ability to get away and have full immersion in fun was worth it, and the $25 for the MagiQuest was definitely well spent.

Stayed January 2009
2 Thank SouthSeattleMom
kitsap county
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2009

My first thought when I saw the prices was "no way".
It was the only thing my son wanted for his birthday
so after a few months of contemplating, we did it.
It was well worth it, considering the cost of going to our local water park for a family of four would itself be about $160 alone for one day.
We were able to go early and get our room (at 10:45 am!)
and get two whole days of the waterpark since you can stay until closing after you check out.
The extra activities they offer for the kids were great, especially the MagicQuest and Teen Room where my kids enjoyed the internet and Guitar Hero.
I was not thrilled with the buffet so we had our other meals off the property. Hotel service was great! I was pleasantly surprised.
This was a fun mini vacation for us all!

• Liked — hotel cleanliness
2 Thank raiderfan94
Also consider these accommodations in or near Centralia
Olympic Club Hotel & Theater
Best Western Plus Park Place Inn & Suites
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Olympia
Hotel RL Olympia by Red Lion
Holiday Inn Express Suites Chehalis - Centralia
Peppermill Empress Inn
Peppermill Empress Inn
#3 of 11 in Centralia

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!