“Kids had fun”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Centralia
NW WA
“Kids had fun”
Reviewed October 7, 2008

We went with grandma and grandpa, mom dad, 14yo and 8yo.
Had a KidsCabin. Gma and Gpa said the Q bed was nice, but the hide-a-bed was typical - terrible. I opted to sleep in the twin bed in the kids 'room' and it was like sleeping on the floor. The second night I put the couch cushions under the sheets and slept on those.
However, it was very clean.

Kids loved the waterpark. Week days are far better than weekends - we didn't have to wait in line for anything. Not much for the adults when you're done with the slides or wave pool. The hot tub was disgustingly luke warm.
But again, very clean. As was the upstairs bathroom.

The Bar and Grill had OK food, but a limited, pricey menu. The buffet was FAR overpriced for the quality.

• Liked — kids had fun
  • Disliked — beds, value
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank staobka

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
San Diego
Reviewed October 4, 2008

Just spent four nights at the Great Wolf Lodge in Seattle. Flew in from San Diego. Booked it online without any first hand knowledge of how it would be. Simply put, the experience was totally awesome!

My wife and I have a 4 1/2 year old and a 2 1/2 year old. The place is pure paradise for kids of this age. The waterpark was unbelievably awesome. They had life jackets for all kids. This was reassuring as it takes away the fear of your kids drowning. The life jackets came in different sizes, fit perfectly, and were of high quality.

As for the park, it was even better than advertised. They have a wave pool, a great young kids play area, and water slides that are perfect for kids 4 to 8. My 4-year-old LOVED these water slides. She went up and down these slides endless amounts of times.

They also had a large swimming pool (deepest part was 4 feet) with water toys and fun things to do.

They also had 3 slides for adults, which were very fun. The tornado was AWESOME!

As for the rest of the hotel, it is designed for kids. They had a really neat little treasure-hunt type game at the hotel. Your kids buy a "magic wand" for about $26. It's good for 4 days. With the wand, your kids can roam around the hotel and open up magic treasure chests with their wands, make stuffed animals spring to life, and light up talking pictures, etc. Virtually every kid at the hotel had one of these. My two daughters loved them.

As for food, we didn't bother eating at the hotel. It looked like your typical resort food. If you want good food, Olympia, WA is only 15 minutes away. Plenty of places to eat in Olympia. Also, we stocked our in-room refrigerator with our own food. That way, we weren't always eating the crappy, fatty food that you get at these resort hotels.

The hotel rooms were totally awesome. On the first night, we got a regular hotel room. On the second night, we asked how much would it cost to be moved to one of the theme rooms. There were plenty of open rooms, so the hotel upgrade us to one of these rooms for NO EXTRA CHARGE! As for the theme rooms, we moved to the kids cabin. My daughters LOVED this room. They loved being int their little log cabin with the the bunk beds. The kids portion of the room actually had three beds. As such, I had my two little girls sleep on the bottom beds, as I didn't want anybody rolling off a top bunk in the middle of the night. When we were packing up to leave, my 4-year-old asked if we could pack up her cabin and bring it home!

All-in-all, this resort was a home run. Coming from me, that's unusual. I usually find things to be less-than-advertised. If your kids are between 2-10, they will have an EXCELLENT time. Older kids might still have fun, but the resort seems more geared to younger kids.

As for adults, let's be frank: if you come without kids, your time will just be average. Don't get me wrong, this place is beautiful, however, it is solely designed for families with kids.

3 Thank Craig F
Marysville, WA
Reviewed September 22, 2008

We brought two 13 boys and a toddler and stayed Thursday and Friday nights. The water park had things for everyone to do, the slides were amazingly fun even for the adults, the toddler pool was fun and the lifeguards were very attentive, polite and had a close eye on everyone. The spa was nice we were able to walk in and get an appointment without a reservation. There is a magic quest with wands for the older boys that took 4 to 6 hours, and didn't have to be done all at once but it made statues, paintings and other decorations talk and give clues the boys greatly enjoyed it and it was worth the 39 each for them, they got to keep their wands. There was a game room with wii games such as guitar hero and some other games which only costs 5 dollars for each boy for the whole weekend. The staff was extremely friendly but not overly aggressive about it. The only thing that was greatly disappointing was the food it was HORRIBLE. we had dinner at the grill and my husband and I both sent our food back, my husband’s steak smelled like fish and my fish tasted like straight grease. The waiter quickly recognized our disgust and remove the charges from our bill. So we ended up eating pizza from Pizza hut which ended up being very good. We went to have breakfast at the buffet but it was only open on the weekends but after having breakfast there (not buffet) from a very limited menu it wouldn't have mattered if it was open because it was so bad. How do you ruin breakfast? There rest of our stay we had to leave the hotel to eat at surrounding restaurants. There was a fridge and microwave in the hotel so next time we go we would bring our own food. I have just never had food that bad in consecutive meals. But even though the food was bad we are planning to return because the rest of our experience was so good. Saturday was very crowded I would recommend staying during the week if possible.

• Liked — Clean
  • Disliked — Horrible food
2 Thank vsci
Oregon
Reviewed September 14, 2008

We just returned from our stay at GWL and had a wonderful time!

HOTEL ROOM: The hotel room was clean, fun themed decor, all of the staff were very friendly and attentive (contrary to some prior reviews..so maybe it has been addressed). It had fun amenities like bubblegum body wash and vanilla cream shampoo.

WATERPARK: The water park was a scream! Lots to do for all ages. It's great to find a place where grandma, the teenage nephew, the little kids and the parents are ALL having a blast. The water park was clean and well attended with lots of lifeguards. We spent several hours in there. You are allowed to play all day on the day of your check out.

FOOD:The food and drinks were very good at the bar & grill. We thought the food prices at the bar & grill were reasonable. The snack bars and buffet seemed a little high. We had some wonderful blended drinks in a 32 oz.souvenir glass ($11.95) that was refillable during the stay for $8.

MAGIC QUEST: There was a "magic wand" that could be purchased for $15 plus $9 to activate it for the games (and more if you want to decorate it...it can get to be spendy). The kids shared it and ran all over the hotel looking for crystals, talking treasure boxes, animated animals, etc. They were entertained for hours with this. The game could be simple for little kids, or very involved for older kids. On the next visit you can reactivate the same wand for $15.

Electronic Bracelets are issued at check-in. These are your keys into your room and you can opt to have the ability to charge anything to your room by scanning your bracelet (from Starbucks, arcade tokens, snack bar/ restaurants, gift shops, even some vending machines). We really enjoyed not having to carry around cash and credit cards. You can allow your children over 12 to charge also, but that sounds dangerous to me. They also had a teen space with a disco, and Wii, etc.

This was a very theme-y resort. Lots of fun for families. It is not a budget get-away. We really had a great time and will definately be back.

• Liked — great water park
1 Thank under-the-sea33
seattle, wa
Reviewed September 13, 2008

The resort is immense...and the waterpark perfect even for our youngest....and what are all those kids doing running around with wands...well...we found out it was magiquest. So...we bought out wands and four hours latter we were still running around the hotels flashing our wands and opening chest. Next morning. Mom...can we play more magiquest... As a team..even the grumpy husband we ran...co-operative and killed a red dragon. Clean resort, warm waterpark fun, and a quest to kill a dragon...where else could you have a more perfect family vacation.

• Liked — so much to do in one place
1 Thank gldfinch68wa
Hay River
Reviewed September 10, 2008

We saw the waterpark from I5 and on our way back from Portland decided to stay here.

We didn't check in until nearly 8, and with the waterpark closing at 9, we decided to stay an extra day. It was well worth it. It is totally geared towards kids with the arcade, and wonderful water park . I think that we may have been the eldest guests with no kids, but my god... did we have fun. :-) The water slides were great and we really enjoyed our little arm bands where we could charge our snacks, Starbucks and everything else.

Our room size was generous and comfortable. I thought the cupcake / fudge / candy bar was so geared to kids, but my man is a big kid, so it was absolutely perfect. If we had kids.... WOW!!!!. I love the wrist-band concept.

I have to admit that I was a little jealous of the kids who had wands to wave at the numerous treasure chests, crystals and animals so they could activate them.

The food was good for a pub-like atmosphere.

We love waterparks and would gladly stay at another one of these again.

The only criticism I have of the property is getting into it... there should be a direct link off of I-5. We took a couple runs at it before we got in.

• Liked — Lots of activities for all kids ( or those young at heart)
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Gwen2014
Vancouver, WA
Reviewed September 9, 2008

We stayed at the Great Wolf lodge on a Friday and Saturday night in early September. The facility is very nice, with an impressive facade in the front, and a lobby that is reminiscent of Disney's beautiful Grand Californian hotel in Anaheim.

The indoor water park itself, is also quite nice. There is a variety of things to do, from a wave pool, to different sizes and shapes of water slides, and water game areas. That being said, after two nights, my family felt like we had exhausted most of our interest in the possible activities.

Gripes:
* The water isn't freezing, but it isn't that warm either. The water feels a bit too cold to be wading in it all day long.
* Not a great value: Grand Mound is a bit of a ghost town. The town seems to consist of a Dairy Queen, a McDonald's/gas station, and small strip mall, and that is it. The isolation means that the $200 or more a night you are paying for a family of four (which includes water park admission) is simply for the water park. That is like spending $50/day per person to get into the water park. Not a great value in my mind. Not only that, but the food is expensive ($10 burgers), but not as good as what you'd get at the Dairy Queen. Also, the hotel has many other ways to extricate your money (kids spa, wand adventure game ($30+), video game center, etc.).

Happy surprise:
* About five miles south of Grand Mound, off of I-5 in Centralia, we found an authentic Mexican restaurant, La Tarasca, that is out-of-this-world good. Not a perfect spot for kids, given the spicy dishes, but it is wonderful for adults who like real Mexican food.

Back to the Great Wolf Lodge...the frank truth is my daughter and her friend had a great time, but after two nights of staying and playing, our hotel bill was over $700, and we didn't partake in an elaborate room, or all of the bells and whistles. If you are okay with that kind of expense, then it is a good spot for a family vacation.

• Liked — Nice facility
  • Disliked — Value
2 Thank punkinpapa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Centralia
Olympic Club Hotel & Theater
Best Western Plus Park Place Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Express Suites Chehalis - Centralia
Hotel RL Olympia by Red Lion
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Olympia
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#5 of 11 in Centralia

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!