“Fantastic Family Fun!”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Centralia
Vancouver, Canada
“Fantastic Family Fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

This was a great place to go with our family and friends. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. My husband and I took our children (ages 10 months and 3.5 yrs) and met up with another couple and their 4 year old.

The water park was a lot of fun. The slides were great. I wish there were slides for adults to ride with little ones under 42 inches on their lap. There are little kid slides and then two slides that adventurous toddlers can go on and then there are the big slides. The wave pool had huge waves and my son loved it. He also loved swimming around in the other pool and jumping across the lilypads. He tried one of the big slides once but was too scared to go a second time. He enjoyed the kiddy pool as well. It was clean inside the waterpark, which I was surprised by because families could eat pizza and other fast food items from their concession anywhere. They have tables and chairs around the entire place. It was very busy, even when we were there Monday-Thursday but there always seemed to be one table free for us. The bathrooms could use a bit more attention sometimes but they were still cleaner than most public amusement park type places I've been to. I felt safe with the lifeguards. Looks like they have been trained to overly accentuate their movements when checking the pool. They have a specific routine for each area and stick to it. Of course they missed things once and awhile and maybe they try to hard to look like they are checking the pool and can't actually check it. Several people were annoyed by the rules. My husband didn't like that he couldn't throw our son up in the pool and another father was annoyed he couldn't sit his kid on this raised area in the pool and have him jump into the water into his arms. I wish there was another pool for these type of activities.

The rooms were perfectly fine as expected. The bathrooms could be a bit bigger I guess but it didn't bother us. They have fridges and microwaves so we bought food from Safeway for snacks and lunches. For breakfast, we went to the buffet twice. It cost us 20 dollars each time because we added it on to our reservation and kids 3 and under are free. That was a great price. It was good and exactly as I suspected. I did not expect 4 kinds of doughnuts and candy fixins for the yogurt and deep fried cocktail weenies but we laughed and indeed tried all of those items. There is a made to order egg station and a do-it-yourself toast area. I appreciated the porridge and fresh fruit. We had pizza, spaghetti and meatballs, and salad for dinner one night from Hungry as a Wolf. It was good too. It fed our entire group. The prices for the pasta dishes seemed a little high but it wasn't outrageous.

The Magiquest/Shawdowquest games were fun too. For our little guys, we just bought the wands for under 20 bucks. It was free to use them throughout the resort without the game. Items would light up, talk to you, open, etc. There is a lot more money to be spent but we didn't feel the need. Our friend bought us a simple cape and we bought the 4 dollar wolf ears. Not all of the items worked. A couple treasure chests were broken and wouldn't open. The wands would stop working but we realized the top just needed to be tightened. We talked to one father who wasn't impressed because the batteries had died and they didn't sell the batteries in the hotel. We thought that was really too bad. I'm not sure how long they had been playing before the batteries died but if it was less than the time it takes to complete the game I'd feel it was a rip off. Ours didn't die on our 3 day trip.

We found the hotel to be pretty quiet despite all the children running around. The common areas would get crazy with families and noise but as soon as you went down the halls to the rooms, it was quiet. Some kids were up late and running around but it was a vacation. It didn't bother us.

The staff were all incredibly friendly. We didn't encounter anyone that was unhappy. Everyone was happy to be there and happy to help us. This includes staff at the front desk, magiquest store, arcade, all the restaurants, gift shop, forest game, elements spa, swim shop, and the lifeguards and cleaning staff. We were always told to enjoy our stay or have a nice day. They offered us help and tips and said hello to us before we said it to them. Only one staff member in one of the shops didn't say anything to us when we walked in and looked around but we can overlook that when everyone else was amazing and accommodating.

The Great forest challenge game was overpriced. 10 dollars per person. The fog machine was broken so we played for 5 dollars. I wouldn't have paid 10 but 5 was reasonable. It was fun though there were some glitches. The other glitches being the sensors that were off when we were throwing the balls at the mushrooms and not knowing if we ever successfully went through the lasers. The mini-golf was a bit disappointing for 6 dollars a person. We didn't realize there were only 9 holes. The arcade didn't have a lot for our kids to do. We think there are too many games centred around getting tickets.

Summary: You don't have to spend a lot of extra money here to have fun. The location between two bigger towns is convenient and we recommend getting some snacks from a grocery store. The water park was a lot of fun for our younger kids and the adults enjoyed the bigger slides too. We will be recommending this place to our friends with young kids and we will be returning too.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank ckredhead

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
Bellevue, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

If a hotel calls themselves a resort and charges a resort fee ($14.99), it ups my expectations. The Great Wolf Lodge would do themselves a favor by just calling themselves a hotel and upping their rates as they do not provide and sort of service or food quality that meet 'resort' standards.

We were here with our 22 month old. Thankfully at that age he had no idea that he wasn't really playing the games in the arcade or else we would have been dropping some serious bucks there (better games are in the $2-3 price range). Not to mention the expensive magic quest.

We went to the breakfast buffet ($13.99/person). Mistake!!! Gross! And that price doesn't include a drink. Best thing at he breakfast buffet was the pre-made omelets, but they were in a hot case. For $13.99 + $2.49 drip coffee, I expect omelets made to order or some sort of yum factor. It is not there. Plus there was a line 10+ deep to get inside. I didn't understand that at all since it is a buffet. There were servers that got your drink order. But I would rather just pay $16.49 and not have to wait in line and just be able to self serve myself a drink. Actually I would prefer to go some place else next time - even if I have to get my toddler in and out his car seat twice.

We got a King "suite". It was not a suite. The sink is the main area which means you have risk waking up your family when you brush your teeth. The TV is maybe 34 inches (not that you really need it, because of all the activities). And the 'wall' that separates the the pull out couch from the bed area is just a half wall, so if your lamp is on-it is directly lighting up the kiddo area. It just seems like a few layout changes would make the room much more functional.

One the plus side there is a ton to do! Our toddler nearly lost his mind when he saw the water park. He had a blast and we enjoyed the adult sides. The water is pretty chilly! Toddler had blue lips after about 20 minutes. The little kids area seemed a bit warmer (hold the pee jokes - they check the water in that area every 2 hours for pee/poop). But still it is cold. For a kid that age there are a couple of cons :
There is only one slide for small kids and it can be kind of crowded.
There are water cannons in the area where water shoots out of the ground (only about 2 feet max). But big kids think it is funny to squirt the little kids in the face with the cannons from above...seriously not cool.

The water park and other activities were lots of fun, but I am not sure I will be back as the food quality was so bad. And the thought of having to pack up and leave every time we need to eat seems exhausting....

Room Tip: You have to walk past the arcade on the second floor - better to request a different floor if you do...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank mathmagican
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Grand Mound! The opinions of our guests are a valuable tool for us to gain deeper insight on how we can enhance the guest experience.

All of our rooms are classified as suites because of the amenities we offer that are not often found in the average room at a hotel. Specifically, the suite you reserved is the Luxury King Suite and features a King Bed with naturally soft bamboo linen and bedding to help our guests feel right at home during their stay. We also provide some separation in the room by having the partition wall between the King Bed and Full size pull out sofa sleeper. All of our suites feature additional amenities such as: a microwave, mini-fridge, coffee maker, wet bar sink, clothes line, iron and ironing board and in-suite safe.

I will share your feedback about your dining experience with our Food and Beverage team for them to review so we can improve before your next trip.

Thank you for choosing Great Wolf.

Seattle USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

I came into this experience with reasonable expectations and still came out disappointed. I visited with my family (2 adults and one toddler) and met up with group of two other families.

First of the good:
The water park is loads of fun and the life guards do a nice job. I just wish you didn't have to stay in the hotel to use it. There is a Starbucks on site.

The not so good:
Our three family groups requested rooms near each other. On arrival our rooms could not have been farther from one another. Not a big deal, just a bit inconvenient.
Once in our room I noticed that the sofa bed had not been made up for my toddler as requested. It took me two calls down the the front desk (where they let the phone ring and ring) only to have housekeeping not come up at all. Later I was told that this (pulling out the sofa bed) is not a service that the hotel provides. Say what?
I made a reservation at the Bar and Gill, specifying how many boosters and high chairs we would need only to be giving a table that could not accommodate booster seats at all... At least that was the policy at the restaurant. When I ask to speak to a supervisor about it, one never showed up.
The food is very uneven in quality. Some is tasty and other items are inedible. The cocktails are terrible. Just terrible. I had to send one of them back. Even with low expectations it was bad. I think that the juice used was old.
Every restaurant had a line to get in. Not because there were not enough tables but because the host staff was inefficient.
The hotel's nightly rate is way too expensive. Not to mention the overpriced food and all of the crazy add-on's around every corner. Every game in the place costs an arm and a leg. I'm not the type that is usually bothered by this but at this place it was so blatant. If someone were contemplating a two night stay I would advise them to hope on an airplane and go to Disneyland for the weekend (staying in a budget hotel right across from the main gate). Literally, it would be a better value and WAY MORE FUN.

Room Tip: Don't spend extra money for a balcony. They all overlook the parking lot.
2 Thank FussyCosmo
Thank you for choosing Great Wolf Lodge – Grand Mound and for sharing your experience with us. We are happy to assist our guests with whatever needs they might have, and requesting to have multiple rooms close together is one we hear often. Because we do not assign rooms at the time of reservation, room placement is never guaranteed, but we try to accommodate our guests as best we can based upon the rooms we are receiving.

I apologize for your dining experience. We hope to see your family again soon!

Great Wolf Guest Relations

Travelers are raving about these Centralia hotels

Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

I should preface this with telling you my wife and I are not "resort" people, and we'd much rather go to a park, go camping, explore, etc. than visit this kind of establishment, but we did it for the kids.

Overall, we would not go back. Reviews were mixed even from our kids: our 6 year old said it was the most fun he'd ever had, our 8 year old said it was mildly fun, and our 18 year old said it was not very fun--these were their opinions on the drive home.

Here are the positives from our 2 night stay:

The beds were extremely comfortable
Pretty much all staff asked for ID when running our debit/credit card

Here are the negatives:

The water park is admittedly fun and some of the slides were even pretty exhilarating for adults, but depending upon your tolerance for chlorine, don’t expect to spend more than an hour to 2 hours at a time in the water park. We banked on the kids spending most of their time in the water park, but we only spent about 2 hours each day here. Being in an indoor chlorine water park really started to wear on me, and the kids. My wife is so sensitive to chlorine (we knew this going in) that she opted out of the water park experience altogether.
The rooms were pretty nice (we had a room with a separate master bedroom), but there was a major lack of storage space for a family of 5. We could not put away/store most of our stuff.
Service from the staff was really hit or miss; most of the time it was a miss. There were a few friendly staff members, but most people made it clear they did not really enjoy working at this resort.

We knew things would be expensive, but some of the prices were just ridiculous beyond expectation. The MagiQuest game costs each child about $20 for a “wand,” yes you have to buy it. Then, it’s another roughly $20 for a wand “topper,” which is optional, but almost every kid is going to ask for one. Then, it’s another $13 to actually play the game. So you are potentially looking at $53/kid to go on a scavenger hunt. So you know what to expect from the game, they told us even the easiest version would take 4 to 6 hours and require 10 miles of walking. Yes, 10 miles. Another example of things being expensive is the buffet style meals available (looks like school cafeteria food, although we did not eat it), which was $20/adult, and I think around $10/kid. Overall, don’t be surprised if you drop $300 to $400 a day in this place for your family.

I have to say that the magic and nature theme of this resort was also somewhat disturbing to us. There is an animatronics show in the lobby, where your kids will be told, “Trust in mother nature,” “You’re in the forest, there’s nothing to fear here,” and other similar phrases. “Free your imagination” was another frequently used phrase. And I won’t even touch on some of the bizarre things we heard from different stations on the “MagiQuest” game. I would like my kids to understand there are dangers in nature, that they should respect it, and it is not a magical fairyland, but that’s just me.

Overall, I could not recommend this place to anybody, but I know there are some who will visit and find it right up their alley. It just depends on what you are into.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Grand Mound! It is our goal to provide a unique stay experience that can only be found at Great Wolf Lodge. We achieve this by providing many different activities such as our 56,000 square foot indoor waterpark, MagiQuest, Elements Spa & Salon and much more. One activity I think is right up your alley is Great Forest Challenge! You navigate through a sequence of rooms for fast-paced, skill-building family fun that features a variety of obstacles.

I am sorry if you feel the Great Wolf experience is not for your family, but we would still love to see you come back and stay with us again. When you make that return trip, I recommend looking into the bundled add-on packages we offer. They offer a wide selection of options to help plan your stay and are a tremendous value to our veteran guests.

Thank you for choosing Great Wolf.

Nehalem, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

This establishment nails it on all levels!
The hotel has a Magic Quest for the kids. There's a shop that sells wands & quests that will keep the kids ( and adults) busy from morning til night, running around 8 floors waiving wands to foretell their next move on the quest, to sleigh the dragon! That ends at 10:00pm each night
Then there's the water slides in the H2O park. Get ready to wait in line on the stairs while the butterflies build up in your stomach, before you go down the "Howlin Tornado".
All's I can say is hold on for dear life! I went down backwards 2 times and was definetly taken out of my comfort zone! It will accomidate 4 riders only & you can't go on it alone. Take a buddy! I saw a boy had to go back down because there was no one to ride with him and that wasn't cool.
The room was great, the bed was even better. There was a great big counter like a bar that seated 6 people, with a microwave & little fridge, oh yes-a coffee pot. Most important for the likes of people like me, that refuse to go down stairs for Starbucks in the morning because the line is too long.
So all in all this place gets 2 thumbs up from me. I can't wait to go back.

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

Our family of four (2 adults & 2 children) went to Great Wolf Lodge on a Thursday at 12:45pm and checked in immediately. They have a very large number of carts available to move your luggage up to your room (50+). We had a kid’s cabin room which are only available on Floors 1-4 (resort is 8 floors). Inside, we found a very, very small bathroom area, a kids cabin which housed a set of bunk beds on one side and an additional kids sized bed on the other side. This area had a flat-screen TV on the wall and a small table. The rest of the room had a Queen-sized bed, 2 side tables, a rotating flat-screen TV (with DVD hookup available), small refrigerator, mini microwave, really mini coffee maker, pull-out sofa bed, square dining table with 2 chairs, a coffee table, hotel hair dryer and a fireplace. The open closet had 2 extra (rock-hard) pillows and a warm blanket. There was also a very small safe in the wall for valuables.

Our room had great blackout curtains (for naps). We brought 2 sound machines which were very useful because we had kids running overhead after 11pm and loud music coming from cars in the parking lot at 6:45am (not cool). The room looked clean at first but as we inspected things, it was not so clean…Our tub had someone’s black hairs left around the side, dirt still around the plug, do they shampoo the rugs ever?, dining room table sticky from past occupants, cobwebs and dust in kids cabin area…bring Clorox wipes… did I mention the rugs? Ugh! Wear your socks.

Despite these things, I saw no bugs of any kind.

The fridge is a standard size mini-fridge with a very, very small freezer area. I recommend bringing a cooler of food. The room was also very dark (bring night lights). Plugs are on the wall behind the TV.

Your water park wristband is hooked to your credit card so you can use it to purchase goods, food, services without having to leave your room with your cash/credit cards. I think alcohol purchases do require a photo ID.

We did the Magic Quest game and it was a lot of fun. The act of getting the wand and having it activated was excrutiatingly painful as we waited in 2 lines for over 50 minutes in a store packed with children brimming with excitement. Patience is a needed companion at this hotel. There are many children running around unsupervised, cutting, pushing and generally being quite annoying. I would be prepared if I were you…

Like other reviews have noted, the Pizza was delicious. There is no room service at this hotel. At the water park, there is mostly fried, unhealthy foods available and without a cabana, you must find a chair or table around the park. There is a store inside the park with bathing suites, flip-flops, etc., but be warned 1 pair of goggles cost us $25.00 (for a child).

Prices are high and so is the chlorine content of the water. My daughter swallowed some of the water and was sick for hours (pack Tums just in case). The water was luke-warm, kiddie pool was great for those under 4. Life jackets are available by the kiddie section but kids really don’t want to wear them for too long (quite bulky). Our cabana was awesome but there are definitely not enough available. You have to call ahead to reserve ($89) and you have access to the park from 9am to 9pm on your reserved day(s). It comes with flat screen TV, dining table and 4 chairs, 2 lounge chairs, towels, safe, a refrigerator stocked with complimentary drinks and a computer screen where you can order food and have it brought to you. I would not go to this place without a cabana if you can get it.

We enjoyed it – I recommend experiencing it at least one time – the kids love, love, love it!!! All told we spent $550 for less than 24 hours (and we brought our own food).

Quick tip: - McDonald’s is an easy option right off the exit for Great Wolf Lodge

3 Thank DorainSitges
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Grand Mound! I am happy to hear that your family had fun playing MagiQuest and enjoyed the pizza we serve on site. I am also very pleased that you were able to take advantage of the cabanas we offer inside the waterpark! They are a relatively recent addition and are a tremendous value for our guests.

Prices on a cabana can vary day to day based upon how many we have remaining in our inventory, but you can inquire on availability and pricing during the reservation process.

I hope you will return to see us again soon!

Bellevue, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

I can't imagine staying two nights here. My daughter and I drove about 1.5 hours to get there, no problem. Busy time, parked far away from check in. When they say rooms aren't ready till 4, they mean it. (Got there at 2:30).. So you can leave your stuff in the car, go to water park and wait till they call you about your room. I didn't want to go all the way back to the car so I let my daughter change and I just sat in the pool area and watched our stuff. At about 4, I went to the desk to check progress on our room. Was told that ours wouldn't be ready for 'a while' but we could have one with just one bed instead of two. I took it. Just to get stuff put away. Clean room, comfy bed..but you have to REALLY love chlorine and water that looks like kid soup to make this worthwhile. We did the water slides and wave pool and hot tub..done in about an hour. Room and prepaid breakfast buffet was $370. Sad to pay that bill. The bacon at breakfast didn't taste like bacon, and the donut didn't taste like a donut..omelet was good, biscuits were good. Staff friendly...again, go if you love chlorine!

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank bethinwashington
Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Grand Mound! I am happy to hear that our Guest Services team was able to make the best out of the situation and get you into a room when you needed it.

We appreciate your feedback about the chlorine levels in the waterpark and will share that information with our Aquatics team. They monitor the chlorination of the waterpark continuously throughout the day to ensure they are at safe, but effective levels. If any corrections need to be made, they are done in real time.

I hope you will stay with us again soon!

Great Wolf Guest Relations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Centralia
Olympic Club Hotel & Theater
Best Western Plus Park Place Inn & Suites
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Olympia
Hotel RL Olympia by Red Lion
Holiday Inn Express Suites Chehalis - Centralia
Peppermill Empress Inn
Peppermill Empress Inn
#3 of 11 in Centralia

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!