“Once is enough”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Centralia
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We just returned from spending the night here for my son's 8th birthday. We were lucky it was a weeknight and not crowded. From ther reviews, the weekends are way to busy. Check in was quick and we went right to our room. I was surprised at how small the room was for the price. The kids did like the themed bunk bed room but my daughter got no sleep on the sleeper sofa. My bed was fine. The waterpark was fun and I lied being able to charge drinks to my room. Against my better judgement we ate on site. Ridiculous prices for the food we got. None of us really liked our meal. Too bad for a celebration meal. My son begged me for a wand....every other kid had one and I felt guilty. I did not get the game though as it took 4-6 hours and over 10 miles of walking. No thanks. For $18 they could point it at things and make them light up. Maybe I can sell t on Craigslist now!! We put our thins on the car, checked out and then stayed until 3 pm. We all had a good time but spent too much money.

Room Tip: Get away from first two floors.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank bananatraveler
Write a ReviewReviews (3,963)

Reviewed January 10, 2014

We came here for one night with our 4 young kids as our first stop for our road trip around Washington and Oregon. We figured that one night was enough and we were right. We came on a Thursday in May which was a good choice since it wasn't very busy when we checked in. We had booked a cabin family suite and were able to check in early. Went to the waterpark area right away and had to pay $10 for a locker to keep our stuff in. They provide towels in the pool area so you don't need to bring any. The lines weren't very long for the waterslides but only my oldest could go on them so we had to split up pretty much the entire time we were there. If you have young kids then I would recommend bringing an extra adult if possible to make your time more enjoyable. The younger kids were done after a couple hours so I ended up going back with my oldest later in the evening and getting all the waterslides out of his system. Unfortunately, the wave pool was closed so we weren't able to do that while we were there. The suite was decent size but the main bed seemed small. Many people told us how much money you would have to spend coming here but we came away fairly unscathed. The room was under $300 and we just shared a pizza for dinner for $15. Had Starbucks in the lobby for breakfast. Played one round of glow in the dark mini golf. We avoided the whole Magiquest situation, barely. The kids came down to the lobby in the evening for story time, which they seemed to enjoy. By Friday morning we were definitely ready to go. It had started to get pretty crazy there with people everywhere and kids running around all over with the wands. You can use the waterpark the following day as well before checking out but it was too busy at this point. If you can come here on a weekday then that would be your best bet for fewer crowds and not waiting in long lines for the slides. Also, there are several places to eat here but many are pricey besides pizza. You are allowed to bring your own food though, we saw many people with coolers etc. In sum, if you are looking for a relaxing getaway then this is not the place but if you want somewhere for your kids to have a good time then by all means check it out (or maybe have another parent take your kids and you can stay home). :)

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank snowgirltwentytwo
Reviewed January 7, 2014

This place is for kids. This was our first visit to a Great Wolf Lodge and I had read reviews so I was prepared. I booked our family suite online for 2 nights as we have a 4-5 hr drive to get there. I was happy with the correspondence and tips emailed to me prior to our arrival and I even used their online check in a few days beforehand. We arrived at about 3:30 and there didn't seem to be a separate line for those who already did the check in so I have no idea as to the benefit of that. Our room was not ready and they had NO idea as to when it would be ready. Check in time is 4pm. We sat in the lobby until 4:10 at which time I decided to take the kids into the pool. After we changed to our suits they called - our room was ready (4:30).
Our room was on the 2nd floor which was perfect! Same level as water park entry so we never used the elevators. It was almost at the end away from all of the kid craziness (arcade etc) so it was quiet. Best location in my opinion. The family suite is 2 queens and a sofa bed which is great for our family as the kids don't have to sleep together. The tub area is small but the sink is in the common area so it makes sense. Fridge, microwave, coffee maker. Bed was comfortable, pillow was terrible. Bring your own.
Waterpark was surprisingly clean, but restrooms could use more attention. No loungers except in rental cabanas. If we were with another family I would have rented one. We sat in the plastic chairs and it was fine. My biggest complaint was air quality in the water park. It's kept hot and humid and all of us coughed and felt like the chlorine was overpowering. My daughter got headaches. We could only be in there for about 2-3 hrs at a time. They really should address this. Loved the outdoor hot tub!
I relented to Magiquest and was shocked at how much my kids enjoyed it (girl 11, boy 8). They played it every spare minute and in total for about 5-6 hrs. They shared a wand which makes sense as they played together. Wand was $18, game was $13. Didn't do any other activities but they have mini golf and a couple of other things. We would try them on a future visit.
Restaurants: buy the breakfast buffet voucher ahead of time like we did! It's $10 each incl drink that way. Otherwise you pay more there and drink not incl. Made to order eggs, omelets, standard buffet fare, quality OK. Ate dinner at the sit down restaurant. Large portions, quality OK (we had ribs). Tasty food but it was all shiny (high in butter). There is also a bar there with yummy coladas! Pricing was fair but I'm Canadian so used to overpaying I guess. Desserts looked insanely huge. We were too full to order though. Also ordered a pizza for dinner ($16). Probably could have ordered 2 though and had some left over. I liked that we could order drinks at the water park too.
This place is completely for the kids. Mine loved it and can't wait to go back. My husband and I can't help but think that the amount we spent we could go to Vegas! But it was fun. We may return for 1 night only next time and take advantage of the waterpark early in the day and late the next day too. We will deal without the convenience of a room to save another $280. Oh and there's a $15 resort fee. I don't get that at all. They should just include it in the price. Yes wifi was very reliable but the room price is high enough and "includes your water park passes". Just another fee that annoys you. Many people bring coolers etc which is definitely a plan we may do in the future.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Jaime L
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Instead of gifts this Christmas gifts this year my husband and I decided to give our two girls a mini-vacation to Great Wolf Lodge. We were all very excited. Its not often that we spend $375 on a hotel room but since this was our families Christmas gift we splurged. After a 4/12 hour drive to our destination we arrived at the hotel and all the staff were all very friendly. But our unfortunate experience started the after check in. Our room wasn't ready-but we understood because we were early - check in was 4:00 and we arrived at 2:00 - when we asked if the hotel could hold onto our luggage I was told "No, we don't store guests luggage. You will have to take everything back out to your vehicle." I was concerned because of wallets/passports/cell phones etc. I did not want these items in our vehicle. We were offered a 2x2 locker for $10 but again was hesitant about putting passports/wallets in a locker. My husband and I were deciding what we should do when we looked over at the front desk and saw many people leaving their luggage. I went over to ask if we could also and was told "Of course you can". Not sure why this wasn't told to us when I asked in the first place. After leaving our luggage we were off to the slides. After asking where to go to get to the change rooms we were then told change rooms and lockers were on the first floor. So off we went searching all over the first floor for access to the change rooms and lockers. After about 15 minutes of wandering around I asked again only then to be told that we have to go to the second floor to access the water park and then go down to the first floor once we are in the water park area. Off we go to get changed to then realize "How do we get a locker" - I had to ask the girl at the concession where we go to then be directed back upstairs to the gift shop. "Why were we not told any of this???" This all should have been explained to us at the front desk upon check in. Once we had all the information it was quite easy to navigate around but for someone who has never been before this was a waste of about 45 minutes of our time. With two young girls you can imagine how excited they were to get going at the water park. Once this all got sorted out we were told that we had to have our girls height measured to determine which slides they were able to go on. We were then told that we were able to go on all the water park activities except the "Howling Tornado" due to the height restrictions. No problem - we understood all of this - and then just to confirm I asked again - they can go on everything except the "Howling Tornado?" and was again told yes. My daughters are little daredevils so off we went to the "Alberta Falls". Were were told to grab a tube and head on up. We were also told that due to the height of our girls they would have to ride with us. No problem. My husband and I grabbed a tube and off we went. After a 25 minute wait we get to the top - all excited to get our first ride under our belt - only to be told "Sorry - you can't go down this slide without a double tube." We then said "We didn't see any double tubes and the guy at the height measuring station said to just grab a tube and climb up. He didn't say anything about a double tube" We were then told "Well we don't have any double tubes and two people going on a single tube is dangerous." "Oh" I said, "How are we supposed to go down this slide with a double tube if you don't have any?" "Well you can't" I was told. So you can imagine our disappointment and frustration. The worker called her supervisor and asked what could be done to solve the problem. Well unfortunately nothing could be done to solve the problem. "Sorry" is all we were told. They did find one double tube to share among the 400 people that were in the water park. We did wait once for this double tube - about a 30 minute wait for the tube and then another 20 minute wait in the slide line up. As my 4 year old daughter and I were ready to go down this slide it ended up that she was too small for the double tube anyways - SHE HAD TO SIT IN MY LAP - which were were told this time around that it was OK but only if she sits in your lap with a double tube!!!! WHAT!! Not sure how a facility such as an indoor water park with pools and slides as their business could not have the proper equipment for their guests paying minimum $375 per night. And that was the least expensive room!!! We were told by management that the lodge received a shipment of defective double tubes - what's Plan B?? If this is your business their should always be a Plan B. Unfortunately our experience was not great. This was our present to our children and because we were only able to go on one of the slides it ruined our entire experience. This was supposed to be a fun, family time together and we left feeling quite deflated. I will say that the management did offer us a 50% refund but unfortunately this did not make up for the fact that our Christmas present to our children was less than satisfactory.

5  Thank Kim G
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We paid a huge $335.00 amount to spend New Year's Eve 2014 at this resort. The lines were so very long at check in! Got into room at 2:50 pm then changed into swim suits for pool fun. We went to lock up valuables in the wall safe and it would not work ...it kept going into "error"! I called from phone table had a 8 inch black hair on the white writing pad! and waited until supervisor came. She could not fix it. While waiting for another person to fix it I saw a huge bug on the wall right above hubby's Queen bed. I thought Oh No! Bed Bugs! I got it off the wall with a tissue and then I pulled back corner of sheets to find no bed bugs but a torn mattress cover with fecal matter rubbed all over the mattress! Gross!
When the next person who came to fix the safe was shown the grossness! He said he would get house keeping to re-do the bed. He ended up having to take the door off and put a whole new door on the safe. I am glad when he said he fixed it ..I asked to input my 4 # safe code make sure it worked and it did not.
We finally after an entire hour (Family waiting for us the entire time!) went to the pool. We did not wait for housekeeping to redo the bed. When we got back to the room the mattress was re-covered in plastic and re-made with the (same?) sheets. My daughter also told me she found black hairs all over her room (We have blonde hair.) I think maids should wear hair nets. I kind of got a bad taste in my mouth from the experience. Would I go back...I think not.

7  Thank Discover
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Great Wolf Lodge has an impressive indoor waterpark that is clean and well run. Beyond that there is no shortage of kids activities from put-put golf to arcades and even kids spa activities. If you're used to Disney properties, don't expect the same attention to detail or for the experience to be quite as magical, but the kids sure seemed to enjoy it. You'll find to drive to Olympia (20min) to find civilization again. We also find 1-2 days enough time here (in contrast to disney resorts, where we never seem to have enough time no matter how long we stay). But, if you're in Seattle, this is a short 2 hour drive away.

Room Tip: At busy times the elevators are overloaded, first floor may be a good choice (with the obvious disad...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We were there the Friday and Saturday after Christmas, maybe I should have known better. The place was absolutely packed. The waterpark was wall to wall kids and the noise level was deafening. We were there with our 2 year old granddaughter who was overwhelmed by the crowds and the noise. If you are not between the ages of 7 and 12, I can't see you enjoying this place. Kids run up and down the halls constantly. On the positive side I was pleased with our "Grizzly Bear Suite". It was very clean and looked to be newly refurbished, especially the bathroom. The restaurant was your typical theme park food, in both quality and price. Average and expensive. Our suite had both a refrigerator and microwave and I saw many people bringing in coolers and groceries. One other positive comment: the staff was very friendly and helpful and the many lifeguards seemed to be very attentive and vigilant. It would be nice if they had an adult only whirlpool.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Centralia
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Olympia
Best Western Plus Park Place Inn & Suites
9 mi away
Holiday Inn Express Suites Chehalis - Centralia
Olympic Club Hotel & Theater
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Grand Mound Centralia
GuestHouse Inn & Suites Tumwater

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!