“Absolute Best Family Vacation in Washington”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Centralia
angleton, texas
“Absolute Best Family Vacation in Washington”
Reviewed July 4, 2008

The weather was, well if you know Washington's weather, you know it was COLD. But that was not a problem since they keep it above 80 degrees inside the waterpark. My husband and I traveled with our 3 daughters ages 9, 7 and 4 and they each had a blast, and cant wait to go back. The prices are a little on the high side, but well worth it, if you are looking to make some wonderful family memories. My husband and I had such a blast. The only ride my 4 year old could not ride was the Tornado slide. Other than that she rode everything along with us. And by the way, that Tornado slide was SOOOOOOOO much fun, a little scary at first but so much fun. If you are thinking of going, you definately should. Well worth it!!!

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank lady2444

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
north of Seattle
Reviewed July 2, 2008

Looks better in video.. very boring for kids over 13.. kids 3-10 will love it but be ready to open your wallet! one night with food and room cost over $800.00 for 1 adult and 4 kids! watch out pack a lunch.. security into the pool is good but security into the hotel is for all!! not good.. all and all I will not go back.. Wild waves is half the price and more to do! ya in the winter it may be nice.. but no room service and tight quarters and exspensvie to boot adds up to a head ache!

• Liked — not much
  • Disliked — cost and size of pool area
everett wa
Reviewed June 29, 2008

The lodge is beautiful and the rooms are spacious. We booked the "wolf den" which our girls loved. It had bunkbeds that were very safe and their own flat-screen t.v. The room had a fridge so knowing this, I brought a cooler full of snacks and drinks.This saved some serious bucks. They give you bracelets that are your room key/credit card so you dont have to carry extra things(like cash) with you. Good marketing plan because it makes it easier for you to spend lots of money! Want some ice cream out of the machine? Swipe your bracelet. Dont have any money on you for the video arcade? (which is awesome) Swipe your bracelet! You get it.. The waterslide park was the best!! Living in the Seattle area my whole life, we deal with rain and lots of it. Its so cool to be able to go somewhere warm and play in the water. There is something there for every age, and even after you check out of the hotel room the next day, they let you stay in the water park until it closed.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
AlyJoy716
Reviewed June 29, 2008

We stayed here on June 26th. It was me, my husband, our 2 year old daughter, my mother-in-law, my sis-in-law, and her two boys who are 5 and 2. We stayed in the KidsCabin Suite, and we absolutely loved it. The kids loved having their own little cabin to sleep and play in. The thing that was amazing to us was the tall ceilings. It made the room seem really big. They were probably 20 ft. ceilings. The bathroom was small, but the sink is outside the actual bathroom, so it wasn't bad at all. The size of the room was just great for the 7 of us.
The kids loved the waterpark, and so did the adults. Previous reviews stated that it was small, so I expected this really tiny waterpark, but it really wasn't. It was a great size for all of us. We really enjoyed this.
We ate dinner at the Bar and Grille there on the property. It was reasonably priced, but only ok food. Nothing really special.
Overall, we really had a great time. Unfortunately, it is pretty pricey for one night. That would be the only down side. We will probably go again if we share the cost with someone else. Everyone had a really great time.

• Liked — Rooms, Waterpark
  • Disliked — Price
1 Thank AlyJoy716
Roseburg
Reviewed June 25, 2008

My husband, our 15 year old son, and 16 year old friend recently stayed for two days. I had read about check in lines being long and rooms not being available at check in so we went in thinking we weren't going to be gong to our room before the water park. We were pleasantly pleased with a quick check in and our room was ready. I LOVE the fact that the wristband they give you is your room key and can be used to place charges on your room account so you aren't always having to carry cash.

The overall staff was VERY friendly. Any time you passed a staff member, they always said hello. The improvements that need to be addressed in the buffet and the bar and grille. The buffet line was terrible as the omlet station was in front of the line, so people were backed up (not knowing that people were in line for omlets). Also, I had to ask the waitress for more coffee and she never offered my husband a refill on his drink. The bar and grille was just as bad. Long wait time (40 minutes for a table) and then slow service after that. I don't know if it is a kitchen problem or what, but if we do return, besides the pizza hut, we will eat elsewhere. We were happy with the bar service at the pool.

Overall, my son and his friend enjoyed the teen-age room and we were pleased with our stay.

• Liked — friendly staff and clean
  • Disliked — the two main restaurants
1 Thank dietcoke22
Portland Oregon
Reviewed June 24, 2008

While the hotel itself is very nice and inviting, along with the rooms (we had a regular family suite), the price of everything is just over the top. The room cost 360.00 with tax to stay for one night. The dinner for 2 adults and 4 kids cost 96.00 (not too bad, I have seen worse). The bad part is the water park gets a bit old after three hours of being in there and then what do you do? Well, what you do is purchase the 15.00 wand along with the 9.99 game pack that allows you to roam around the hotel in search of "treasures". The wand allows you to open up different treasure boxes around the hotel and gain certain treaures. This was an added 100.00 for four children to participate. However, the hotel was so crowded that there were tons of children running around from space to space with your children in search of the same things. Very crowded (6/23/08). The water park itself very much lacked supervision of the lifeguards. There was only 1 lifeguard on duty for each side of each pool, one with just one lifeguard. So that is two lifeguards for this pool that has 1000 kids in it with floatation devices, and YES I did capture a child who got stuck head down with a life jacket on in a floatation inner tube, the wave came in and the child was trapped and I witnessed a near drowning experience, except the worse part is I was the one who saw it happen, not the life guard. My son had hurt his leg and was bleeding and the lifeguard on duty has a certain system that they do, they blow the whistle and wait for a supervisor, which took 10 MINUTES to get someone's attention. When I asked the lifeguard why it was taking so long his reply was "we are short staffed". Okay, that is very appauling, as being short staffed for lifeguards does not give me the security that I need. I have to say even with being in the water with the children it was still frightening with the amount of the kids that were in there at the same time (and adults). Another thing, the life-jackets. While not all life-jackets were in desperate need of being thrown out, the one that we happened to grab was. The whole shoulder was almost torn completely off, but it was still in circulation. If it had ripped and someone was relying on that life jacket to save them it would have never served its purpose. Overall, the staff was friendly, the food was okay, but the price of just being there was overrated and overpriced, and possibly dangerous.

• Liked — The hotel
  • Disliked — The dangerous conditions.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank finkledl
Seattle
Reviewed June 24, 2008

We stayed here for two nights after touring Mt. St. Helens. After reading the reviews, I really wanted to avoid the 4:00 check-in rush - that didn't happen! Even with a fairly lengthy line, it went pretty quick (the boys explored while we waited). The best part was that when we checked in, we found out that they had upgraded us from a family suite to a grand bear suite! This is a great room and we really enjoyed it (nice to get some space from the kids).

The waterpark itself is okay. The boys liked the tubes but the wait during peak times wasn't worth it. Also, the water is surprisingly chilly. We didn't have any trouble finding chairs, you can find some off of the beaten path (usually around the sport area).

The big attraction for the boys ended up being the MagiQuest game. I had read the reviews and didn't think my 8 and 11 year old would find it interesting. Boy was I wrong! They spent more time doing the game than in the pool. We chilled in the lobby while they went about their quest. With all the other kids around, I didn't worry too much about them and they checked in occasionally (or when they had trouble). If you decide to do this, bring a book! There's not much to do in the lobby and the chairs are fairly comfy which can lead to unexpected naps. They completed their quest in two days. Also, be warned, the game can get pricey real quick. The wands are $14.99 each and the game is $9.99 for each kid. You have to activate the wands to play the game. Plus, they have toppers, costumes and jewelry all designed to get the kids worked up.

The arcade is pretty much based on tickets so if you're looking for fighting and/or violent games, this is not the place. The boys enjoyed it and really enjoyed spending their tickets. This is definitely not the place to let your kids have spending privleges on their wristbands!

After reading the other reviews, we ate dinner in Centralia each night. It's only about 10 minutes away and has the usual assortment of fast food and sit down restaurants. We did have breakfast at the buffet because of its convenience. They have an omelet station but overall not much vareity there. We did bring snacks for lunch and after dinner.

Overall, it was good experience. Would we visit again? If we could get a good price - probably. Once the introductory rates are over - probably not. Its cheaper to go to the outdoor waterpark that's 30 minutes away.

• Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Centralia
Holiday Inn Express Suites Chehalis - Centralia
#5 of 11 in Centralia
Peppermill Empress Inn
Peppermill Empress Inn
#3 of 11 in Centralia

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!