“Good stay”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Centralia
Roseburg
“Good stay”
Reviewed June 25, 2008

My husband, our 15 year old son, and 16 year old friend recently stayed for two days. I had read about check in lines being long and rooms not being available at check in so we went in thinking we weren't going to be gong to our room before the water park. We were pleasantly pleased with a quick check in and our room was ready. I LOVE the fact that the wristband they give you is your room key and can be used to place charges on your room account so you aren't always having to carry cash.

The overall staff was VERY friendly. Any time you passed a staff member, they always said hello. The improvements that need to be addressed in the buffet and the bar and grille. The buffet line was terrible as the omlet station was in front of the line, so people were backed up (not knowing that people were in line for omlets). Also, I had to ask the waitress for more coffee and she never offered my husband a refill on his drink. The bar and grille was just as bad. Long wait time (40 minutes for a table) and then slow service after that. I don't know if it is a kitchen problem or what, but if we do return, besides the pizza hut, we will eat elsewhere. We were happy with the bar service at the pool.

Overall, my son and his friend enjoyed the teen-age room and we were pleased with our stay.

• Liked — friendly staff and clean
  • Disliked — the two main restaurants
1 Thank dietcoke22

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
Portland Oregon
Reviewed June 24, 2008

While the hotel itself is very nice and inviting, along with the rooms (we had a regular family suite), the price of everything is just over the top. The room cost 360.00 with tax to stay for one night. The dinner for 2 adults and 4 kids cost 96.00 (not too bad, I have seen worse). The bad part is the water park gets a bit old after three hours of being in there and then what do you do? Well, what you do is purchase the 15.00 wand along with the 9.99 game pack that allows you to roam around the hotel in search of "treasures". The wand allows you to open up different treasure boxes around the hotel and gain certain treaures. This was an added 100.00 for four children to participate. However, the hotel was so crowded that there were tons of children running around from space to space with your children in search of the same things. Very crowded (6/23/08). The water park itself very much lacked supervision of the lifeguards. There was only 1 lifeguard on duty for each side of each pool, one with just one lifeguard. So that is two lifeguards for this pool that has 1000 kids in it with floatation devices, and YES I did capture a child who got stuck head down with a life jacket on in a floatation inner tube, the wave came in and the child was trapped and I witnessed a near drowning experience, except the worse part is I was the one who saw it happen, not the life guard. My son had hurt his leg and was bleeding and the lifeguard on duty has a certain system that they do, they blow the whistle and wait for a supervisor, which took 10 MINUTES to get someone's attention. When I asked the lifeguard why it was taking so long his reply was "we are short staffed". Okay, that is very appauling, as being short staffed for lifeguards does not give me the security that I need. I have to say even with being in the water with the children it was still frightening with the amount of the kids that were in there at the same time (and adults). Another thing, the life-jackets. While not all life-jackets were in desperate need of being thrown out, the one that we happened to grab was. The whole shoulder was almost torn completely off, but it was still in circulation. If it had ripped and someone was relying on that life jacket to save them it would have never served its purpose. Overall, the staff was friendly, the food was okay, but the price of just being there was overrated and overpriced, and possibly dangerous.

• Liked — The hotel
  • Disliked — The dangerous conditions.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank finkledl
Seattle
Reviewed June 24, 2008

We stayed here for two nights after touring Mt. St. Helens. After reading the reviews, I really wanted to avoid the 4:00 check-in rush - that didn't happen! Even with a fairly lengthy line, it went pretty quick (the boys explored while we waited). The best part was that when we checked in, we found out that they had upgraded us from a family suite to a grand bear suite! This is a great room and we really enjoyed it (nice to get some space from the kids).

The waterpark itself is okay. The boys liked the tubes but the wait during peak times wasn't worth it. Also, the water is surprisingly chilly. We didn't have any trouble finding chairs, you can find some off of the beaten path (usually around the sport area).

The big attraction for the boys ended up being the MagiQuest game. I had read the reviews and didn't think my 8 and 11 year old would find it interesting. Boy was I wrong! They spent more time doing the game than in the pool. We chilled in the lobby while they went about their quest. With all the other kids around, I didn't worry too much about them and they checked in occasionally (or when they had trouble). If you decide to do this, bring a book! There's not much to do in the lobby and the chairs are fairly comfy which can lead to unexpected naps. They completed their quest in two days. Also, be warned, the game can get pricey real quick. The wands are $14.99 each and the game is $9.99 for each kid. You have to activate the wands to play the game. Plus, they have toppers, costumes and jewelry all designed to get the kids worked up.

The arcade is pretty much based on tickets so if you're looking for fighting and/or violent games, this is not the place. The boys enjoyed it and really enjoyed spending their tickets. This is definitely not the place to let your kids have spending privleges on their wristbands!

After reading the other reviews, we ate dinner in Centralia each night. It's only about 10 minutes away and has the usual assortment of fast food and sit down restaurants. We did have breakfast at the buffet because of its convenience. They have an omelet station but overall not much vareity there. We did bring snacks for lunch and after dinner.

Overall, it was good experience. Would we visit again? If we could get a good price - probably. Once the introductory rates are over - probably not. Its cheaper to go to the outdoor waterpark that's 30 minutes away.

Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed June 21, 2008

Located in a small town, right off the freeway, this stately lodge has been placed amoungest old buildings and mobile home parks. Don't let that fool you of what they have to offer! When you arrive, the beautiful wood carved wolf's at the entrance are a great photo op. Check-in is right near the front doors, making it easy to get your computerchip wristbands for play as early as 1pm on check-in day. This allows you to get playing in the water before regular hotel check-in at 4pm. The lobby is appointed with large nice looking log-type furniture throughout and a beautiful fireplace. I worry that with the easy-going attitude, younger guests running around with no shoes and wet-from-the-pool clothes, the carpet and furniture throughout, will show its wear in no time. Although it is a family resort and catered to such, I felt at times it was a kids summer camp with them all running around amuck.
The computerchip wristband comes in handy to open your hotel room door and charge your meals or purchases. They have smartcarts for free to haul your baggage.
The arcade is huge and has two enterances/exits for easy access to the elevators.
We ate at the buffet for dinner which was around $18.00 for and adult, $14.00 for a child. The food was over fried, over cooked, and the dessert bar had alot of plates of maybe 5 items offered. The salad bar was fresh, but minimal. They do have a cafe that is priced less, but the wait was around 30 minutes for a 7pm dinner. They have "table ready" remotes that allows you to roam the lobby, gift store etc.
The room, we stayed in the least expense family suite, and we were pleasently suprised. The room was adorned in "northwest" lodge-style furniture right down to the antler type lamps between the beds. They had 2 queen sized, pretty comfortable beds, not comfortable pillows, and 1 sleeper sofa. Small frig, microwave, coffee maker all came in this "standard" room. The sink is out in the sleeping area vs in the bathroom, for us with small children, a great concept. The vanilla soap in the bath, so rich feeling!
The waterpark, a great indoor family activity spot! They provide nice durable life vests for the little ones and the life guards are so friendly and helpful. It seems like they are everywhere, and happy to be there. There is a small less active pool area for the little ones, a hot tub (not very hot), a huge "water station" area that dumps a large wooden bucket of water about every 5 minutes. This is a little scary for the little ones. There is another pool, I would say "sport themed" that has a rope/lilypad climb-across, water-basketball, and huge floating climb-ons. The wave pool is a must and runs 5 minutes on, 5 minutes off. Intertubes are first come first served, but never seemed to be a shortage of. The slides as well as the lilypad station, have height requirements, 43" for the the lilypad and smaller tube, 48" for the big tube. The large tube has a large drop into a funnel type larger tube and both lines, although there are alot of stairs to climb, seem to go pretty quickly. The whole waterpark area was small enough not to get lost, walk from one section to the other, or get around in, but had alot to offer the whole family. The patio tables and chairs seemed to be plenty for a busy summer weekday visit, and no one seems to bother your items when left unattended. Lots of towels porvided. Ladies changing room, could be bigger, with more "dry stations". It was very wet, and hard to get dressed in. One last note. they have a story time by the lobby tree which is a nice added touch about a young boy named Simon and Yellowfeather, kinda corney, but the kids liked it. We got in on a $179 rate. Rates are now higher. We would go back, if the rates came back down. An expensive $329 weekend rate plus gas from Portland's 90 minute drive will keep us away. Have Fun!

Northern Puget Sound, WA.
Reviewed June 19, 2008

We stayed at The Great Wolf Lodge for one night in June, 2008. After arriving, I realized that I had wasted my money. For more than it would cost to get into Disneyland, or any other Waterparks or amusement parks, this place is not worth it. The waterpark area is tiny compared to Wild Waves (also in Washington) and besides the waterpark area, there really isn't much to do here. For adults, there is the Spa, which is nice but it only fills up a small amount of time and once you leave the relaxation of the spa, you return to a mass of wild, screaming, unattended children. There are two restaurants to choose from within the lodge and both are over-priced just like the lodge itself. Unfortunately, the town itself also does not have many choices of eateries. As far as our room goes, it was nice and clean but not nice enough to make it worth over $400.

If you have money and time to waste, then I would recommend the Great Wolf Lodge, otherwise, go to Wild Waves.

I would, however, recommend the Elements Spa. The staff is very nice and professional and the atmosphere is very relaxing.

• Liked — The Spa
  • Disliked — What I got for the money.
1 Thank Whisperingpoet
zulufan1
Reviewed June 17, 2008

We just returned from the Great Wolf, and I must say...we are lucky to have such a gem of a destination so close by!

We arrived about 12:30, quite abit earlier than check in, but to our surprise,there was no line, and not only was our room ready but they had somehow upgraded us for free to a "Grand Bear" suite RM 1009 I originally had booked the family suite for 2 nights, and this room was soo much more than we expected. Separate master bedroom and bathroom, 2 patios with huge sliding glass doors, and 12 foot plus celing height...I felt rich, and the maximum room rate listed on the back of the door is $1000/ night...

The wristband concept is very convenient, being your room key and charge card in one. The arcade was pretty cool, but can get expensive like anywhere. I really liked the convenience of the Pizza Hut Express located just outside the waterpark entrance. They will give you a pager so you know when to come back for Your Pizza...works anywhere on the premises.

The 14 year old loved Gr8 Space, and the Game tournaments and especially the Teen Dance that went till Midnite both nights. The Starbucks had a line about 20 people long, and they messed up on my wife's coffee, but I guess they just opened, so I'm sure it will improve.

The waterpark was very fun with lots to do for all ages. The kids loved every minute of it. the wave pool was really fun and when the wolves howl, you know the waves are about to start. The huge 1000 gallon bucket of water that spills every 3 minutes was a constant blast as well. You had to take a soaking many times to get up to the on your back style water slides located here.

I saw alot of kids doing the Magiquest thing, but I spoke to one parent who told me it takes "Days" to complete. so we opted not, at least on this visit.

Overall, I would highly recommend the Great Wolf. Of course it is Expensive...we spent about $850.00 for a two night stay, but that included a massage and alot of other meals & Extras, so really it was not that bad, and with the price of gas, being able to have this within an hours drive is fantastic!!

• Liked — The waterpark and General theme
Seattle
Reviewed June 17, 2008

I read the reviews before arriving, which I think helped with my expectations. Especially the review which said to remember that it's a waterpark with a hotel attached to it. We reserved a room with the kids tent in it and our kids (10 and 7) LOVED it. We brought food which allowed us to eat quickly, healthy, and save money. We brought turkey, ham, and cheese, a loaf of bread, fresh fruit, pretzels, juice boxes, and bottles of water, and of course some sweet treats. We rented a locker in the water park and even though they say no food, we did bring in some water, fruit, and granola bars. It was easy to also buy some pretzels and hot dogs from their snack shop and we had plenty of food and snacks. BRING OR BUY (they sell them for $20) A WATERPROOF CAMERA. It was so much fun to take this waterproof camera to take great pics under water and action shows while going down water slides! We thought most of the lifeguards were really great. Smiling, having fun with the kids, and watching over everyone (safety), and we were really impressed with the guys in the arcade. They were really friendly and helpful. We will definately be going back.

• Stayed June 2008
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Centralia
Holiday Inn Express Suites Chehalis - Centralia
#5 of 11 in Centralia
Peppermill Empress Inn
Peppermill Empress Inn
#3 of 11 in Centralia

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!