“tell me what u would think!”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Centralia
Reviewed April 6, 2013

First of all maybe it was a mistake to go during spring break, but when we booked I wasn't thinking. So upon checking in at 3:45 we were told the room wasn't ready yet, no problem because they contacted us less than five minutes later to tell us the room was ready. Yes, they were prompt but upon going to our room it had looked clean right up until we closed the bathroom door. Hey, if u stayed in room 6008 before April 4th we got your underwear.They were hanging on the door. Haha! We sort of tried to ignore that until we laid down on the bed only to notice you also left your pizza under the nightstand. maybe the cleaning crew thought we wanted a snack for later. The pools seemed clean, but the lines were way too long and I am pretty sure the hotel was booked solid. I wasn't real impressed, I am a firm believer in getting what you pay for but this wasn't what I paid for by any means. We have stayed at the Disneyland resorts 7 of the last 8 years and they are also expensive and a better deal for you money. I may go back, I went back to Disneyland hotel after reviewing it less than good and was very pleased. Who knows.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Washingtonjasper

Reviewed April 5, 2013

I stayed here with my husband and our 3 and 5 year old boys in a Wolf Den suite. The bunk beds in the room are the length of regular beds, but they are narrow and probably the same width as a toddler bed. Still, the kids loved the novelty of the Wolf Den. The queen bed was comfortable, and the pull out not bad. I liked that the wristband can be used for resort credit as well as a room key, so no need to carry money or key cards. Having said that, my husband's didn't work for credit when he tried it; mine worked fine.

Be prepared to spend money here. I see reviews of people complaining about the cost of everything, but it's right here in the reviews - you WILL spend money here. We bought the MagiQuest wands for the kids, but didn't pay for the game since they're so young. They had fun just pointing the wand at things and seeing them come to life. We stayed two nights and probably could have stayed three. We (the grown ups) were exhausted way before the kids each night. It was kind of "go go go" to fit everything in - water park, glow golf, arcade, story time, wolf walk. Story time was cute, but you don't really need to do it each night. We did it once.

The water park was fantastic. Big enough, but small enough that we could manage with little ones. The only thing that would make it better is a chair lift or escalator to the top slides! We went Monday to Wednesday and it wasn't that crowded. It was a little more crowded on the Monday than the other days, but it was the Family Day holiday for BC.

We added the breakfast buffet when we booked. Of note, kids 3 and under are free at the breakfast buffet, so maybe do the math before you commit to the buffet at booking time because it doesn't take age into consideration. I think it was $13.99 for adults, $7.99 for kids, but when you book ahead it includes beverages; not if you pay at the restaurant.

We ordered a pizza from Hungry as a Wolf, and it was actually the best value there. A large pizza with two toppings was $14.39. The Burger Claim restaurant at the other end of the parking lot is very good. You can phone ahead and pick up. They are very friendly, and the food and prices are great.

We will definitely be back. Our kids asked if we could live there. Next time I will try to get away with booking a regular room rather than a Wolf Den or other kid suite, but the kids might convince us otherwise. We're hoping to return with friends and book one of the larger suites.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Good, bad and meh ... depends which member of the family you talk to.

We head down from the north on Easter weekend to spend a night here. After doing a fair bit of research and talking to friends who've stayed there before, I felt prepared to be overcrowded and underwhelmed. And I was right. Like the previous reviewer below, I likened it to a cruise .. on spring break with less drunks, more kids and no serenity deck.

We arrived at 1 but our room wasn't ready until after 5 which we expected so we hit the waterpark. The locker fee was ridiculous - $20 upfront for the day and $10 back if you return your key half an hour prior to closing. We didn't really have a choice prior to getting a room though. The change rooms are small and crowded, especially considering the number of people they jam into the place. Three showers with barely any privacy and one bench in the ladies room. The waterpark itself was awesome. My 6 and 8 year old kids seemed to be at the exact right age to enjoy all it had to offer, even the big slides. I would imagine older kids might get a little bored eventually as the thrills seemed to lessen after each trip down the slides but there's plenty else to keep the little one amused and wear them out.

Oh wait, they won't wear out until WELL after you want to pass out in your room.

We finally got our room, the standard (aka cheapest room) 'standard' being the operative word. Nothing worth raving about but it was a comfy clean room away from the masses (except the noisy kids running down the halls into the wee hours). Not a lot of value for money even considering the cost of the water park entrance is included.

After hearing stories of the unexciting buffet and grill, we opted to eat in Centralia or in our room except for dinner at the grill, which again was okay but not amazing ... and kind of expensive. This mama thoroughly enjoyed her cocktail though.

We had borrowed friend's wands for Magiquest, we just had to pay a minimal fee to re-set the wands (and pretend to be said friends). It worked and the kids had loads of fun on their quests and adventures. They soon realized that I was hindering their Magiquest success with my lack of game logic and fired me so I retired to my room for an early night while their dad carried on with them until about 10/11pm.

The next morning we woke early and dined in our room then loaded up the car. They had some Easter bunny action in the lobby but we hit the water-park right at opening in hopes of shorter lines. After lunch at the nearby burger shack, we spent most of the afternoon playing Magiquest again. Well the kids and their dad did. I drove south and found the outlets, then checked out the in-house spa which is an Aveda spa (which I love) but hadn't booked an appointment and they were booked solid all day. I spent some of the afternoon on the couch in the lobby people watching (WHY do people still dance to the Macarena and WHY do people leave their toddlers unattended???).

After dinner, we were all Great Wolf Lodged out so we head for Seattle where we had another enjoyable (cheaper) evening.

Overall, I'm glad we went .. the kids had an amazing time and have no complaints. Would I go again? Only if I could catch an amazing promo deal on the cost cuz to me it really wasn't the best value for $.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

We, 4 of us went for long-weekend with 9 and 11yrs old children.
This was our second visit to this Great Wolf Lodge.
It was very nice inside with warm temp, air and water.
It was very busy for us parents to follow around our kids for the "Quest".
The Tornado slide was awesome.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 3, 2013

This place is really good for all family; I was there with my 12 years old son for first time. We stayed one night but we could not finish all parts of resort. I wish I was there for two nights. Hotel was so well managed, good food, clean rooms. I will go again.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

We spent two days and nights here as part of an Easter break. My older daughter (16 yrs old) described it as a cruise ship that was docked - seemed accurate in that you don't really have to leave the hotel if you don't want to do so.

The room was okay (we'd paid for the Kid Kabin, which had a little cabin-like area blocked off with faux-logs on the outside, but probably not worth the extra cost overall since it didn't really offer significant privacy for my wife and me). We didn't use the balcony, so you could easily forget that part of it and I would not pay extra for that again.

The indoor waterpark was pretty fun and was quite clean with an open feel to it. Remember your flip-flops for walking from your room and in the waterpark area. There was a decent-sized hot tub for adults / monitored kids where you could rest. The slides weren't scarey for any of us, but some good (but short) runs. The wave pool was good and pretty standard for water parks.

My younger daughter (8 yrs old) and I played MagiQuest over a 2 day period, which is a pretty interesting game. You register at the shop for that, buy a wand (about $18) and pay for the game (about $13). You got up and down many stairs from floors 1-5 and point your wand at items you find, then get customized messages depending on whether you needed to "find" that item or not. After several hours of searching, my daughter becamse a "Master Magi" and was thrilled w/ the badge she received for that. It's a nice alternative to the constant water park.

The restaurant was decent, although a bit overpriced. There are also many snack areas near the pool and, of course, a souvenir shop.

Overall, a good experience but the rooms were overpriced even considering the addition of the waterpark passes.

Room Tip: Ask for a room NOT on the I-5 side of the hotel. Also, avoid any room on floors 1-5 which might be...
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

There are many fun things about this place, but really seems best for elementary-middle school age. Wave pool is great, lots of space and per my kiddo does different styles of waves. It is all indoors, which is great for this area where it rains so often. But don't forget your summer clothes and flip flops if you are watching and not going in the water - it is hot and humid in the waterpark. Has a few different water slides, water basketball and a water tree house. Arcade is a bit odd, not modern but still fun. Rooms are fine, nothing special if you get the basic one's but then again hopefully you are out having fun instead of sitting there. Really is expensive, so look for specials. Is worth going once or once a year like we do. Rooms have fridge so can save some money by bringing some of your own stuff. If you forget something they have swim supplies in waterpark and little town of Centralia about 10 minutes away has factory outlet stores plus big box stores. We went on a Friday night and it was not too crowded. Go at the off times to the waterpark - at dinnnertime and before bedtime seem better. Lots of lifeguards and saw one of the staff drill some unexpectantly with fake baby.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank marytraveler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Centralia
GuestHouse Inn & Suites Tumwater
Holiday Inn Express Suites Chehalis - Centralia
Lucky Eagle Casino & Hotel
Best Western Plus Park Place Inn & Suites
Olympic Club Hotel & Theater
Peppermill Empress Inn
Peppermill Empress Inn
#3 of 10 in Centralia

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!